Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best source for a Andrews cam and tensioner fix package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019 | 07:56 PM
internet troll
|
Road Master
Default Best source for a Andrews cam and tensioner fix package?

I want to replace my cam tensioner this winter and while Im there, do a cam upgrade. (Andrews 21) Im not fussy about the cam tensioner, I just want a replacement and peace of mind. What is the cheapest drop in fix for the cam shoes?

Second question- Who has had experience buying a 'cam package' from an online source? I want cams, chain, gaskets, adjustable pushrods ,bngs and any other odds and ends required. BONUS if someone sells a set with replacement cam shoes.

(PS- I want to keep it simple, not interested in gear drive or high output oil pump)

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-13-2019 | 08:51 PM
moharley2000
Intermediate

What year is your bike? Do you have the hydraulic cam chain tensioners?

Old 08-13-2019 | 08:57 PM
internet troll
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by moharley2000
What year is your bike? Do you have the hydraulic cam chain tensioners?
My bad, I guess I left out that important info.

Bike is a 2006 Electra Glide (injected). Everything Ive seen tells me its got the cursed, early style spring loaded models. Bike only has 17K miles on it so Im still riding it, but I know it needs to be addressed.

Old 08-13-2019 | 08:57 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Fuel moto is the only place I've seen tgat has a whole cam install package. Haven't ever used their kit but it looks pretty complete. Bad part about a complete kit you may pay for stuff you won't need or use. It's not a big deal to piece together just what you need

Old 08-13-2019 | 11:16 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by internet troll
I want to replace my cam tensioner this winter and while Im there, do a cam upgrade. (Andrews 21) Im not fussy about the cam tensioner, I just want a replacement and peace of mind. What is the cheapest drop in fix for the cam shoes?

Second question- Who has had experience buying a 'cam package' from an online source? I want cams, chain, gaskets, adjustable pushrods ,bngs and any other odds and ends required. BONUS if someone sells a set with replacement cam shoes.

(PS- I want to keep it simple, not interested in gear drive or high output oil pump)

Thanks in advance!
Depending on your choices, you may need to go to a few different sources for your parts, instead of a cam change kit...

FWIW..... Here are the steps I take when upgrading cam tensioners.... I've done it on 4 TC88 bikes. I did the cam tensioner shoes only one time, gear drive cams one time, but I prefer to upgrade to the '07+ cam plate with hydraulic lifters and a conversion cam (2X).

Here are my suggestions based on what you said you want to do....

1) Go to Cyco for new cam tensioner shoes.... cheapest fix for the spring cam tensioners. They are better than OEM and most report them lasting well beyond 30K miles.

2) Get the Koyo-Torrington, B-148, inner cam bearings, they can be supplied by almost anybody. There's a special tool to install the inner cam bearings (and remove the old ones) from the engine case in the back of the cam chest.

3) You'll need the Andrews TW21 cams for your year bike/cam plate. You'll also need some knowledge and there's a special tool to press the cams in/out of the cam plate bearings, for that year cam plate.

4) Although you have the "B" lifters, which are fairly good lifters for Harley lifters, I always change them out when I go into the cam chest. I use Johnson-Hylift from WFO Larry. They are every bit as good as S&S, Woods and other premium lifters, at a better cost

http://www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com/lifters.html

5) For gaskets, you can just get the HD gaskets, never had an issue with them. You mentioned you wanted new cam chains, I'd go OEM for them too.

6) For adjustable pushrods, I've have used S&S quickie adjustable PRs and they were easy to use and worked well..... In most cases, I prefer to get solid pushrods from Smith Brothers, just my preference. I read that FuelMoto now has quickie adjustable pushrods from Smith Brothers, newer then old Smith Bros. (pain in the butt) adjustable push rods, and supposedly easier to adjust... I'll be looking into those next time I want to use adjustable PRs.

7) You have the old style breather assemblies... When I go in the cam chest of a bike with the older breathers, I spend the time to open up the rocker boxes and upgrade to the newer, stamped-body breather assemblies... I also drill out the oil drains in the rocker mount plate to .125". It retains the chamfer of the OEM holes, but increases the rocker area drainage. Many believe this will cut down on oil into, and eventually oil mist from the breathers...

You may be able to get most of the parts in a cam kit, but it often limits you to certain makes of cams/push rods, etc. I like to get the parts I trust, want to use, and I can't find them all in a kit...

Good luck with the repair/mods.....!

Last edited by hattitude; 08-13-2019 at 11:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hattitude:
Goose_NC (08-14-2019), klap (08-14-2019), meanG (08-26-2019)
Old 08-14-2019 | 07:22 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by hattitude
Depending on your choices, you may need to go to a few different sources for your parts, instead of a cam change kit...

FWIW..... Here are the steps I take when upgrading cam tensioners.... I've done it on 4 TC88 bikes. I did the cam tensioner shoes only one time, gear drive cams one time, but I prefer to upgrade to the '07+ cam plate with hydraulic lifters and a conversion cam (2X).

Here are my suggestions based on what you said you want to do....

1) Go to Cyco for new cam tensioner shoes.... cheapest fix for the spring cam tensioners. They are better than OEM and most report them lasting well beyond 30K miles.

2) Get the Koyo-Torrington, B-148, inner cam bearings, they can be supplied by almost anybody. There's a special tool to install the inner cam bearings (and remove the old ones) from the engine case in the back of the cam chest.

3) You'll need the Andrews TW21 cams for your year bike/cam plate. You'll also need some knowledge and there's a special tool to press the cams in/out of the cam plate bearings, for that year cam plate.

4) Although you have the "B" lifters, which are fairly good lifters for Harley lifters, I always change them out when I go into the cam chest. I use Johnson-Hylift from WFO Larry. They are every bit as good as S&S, Woods and other premium lifters, at a better cost

http://www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com/lifters.html

5) For gaskets, you can just get the HD gaskets, never had an issue with them. You mentioned you wanted new cam chains, I'd go OEM for them too.

6) For adjustable pushrods, I've have used S&S quickie adjustable PRs and they were easy to use and worked well..... In most cases, I prefer to get solid pushrods from Smith Brothers, just my preference. I read that FuelMoto now has quickie adjustable pushrods from Smith Brothers, newer then old Smith Bros. (pain in the butt) adjustable push rods, and supposedly easier to adjust... I'll be looking into those next time I want to use adjustable PRs.

7) You have the old style breather assemblies... When I go in the cam chest of a bike with the older breathers, I spend the time to open up the rocker boxes and upgrade to the newer, stamped-body breather assemblies... I also drill out the oil drains in the rocker mount plate to .125". It retains the chamfer of the OEM holes, but increases the rocker area drainage. Many believe this will cut down on oil into, and eventually oil mist from the breathers...

You may be able to get most of the parts in a cam kit, but it often limits you to certain makes of cams/push rods, etc. I like to get the parts I trust, want to use, and I can't find them all in a kit...

Good luck with the repair/mods.....!
This is almost exactly the parts list when I did my '06 and was worth the efforts! The only exception, I did use S&S lifters. You will not be disappointed

Old 08-14-2019 | 08:02 AM
HarleyHappy
Stellar HDF Member

Check out mscspareparts.com they sell a whole kit for the spring tensioners that include gaskets, orings, and the good inner and outer bearings. The Teflon pads seem to be wearing not at all on mine, just checked at 15k. Re-use the chains. You will need adjustable push rods. Fuel moto sells cam kit. Your choice for a tuner.

Old 08-17-2019 | 09:54 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

deleted

Last edited by F150HD; 08-17-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2019 | 10:18 AM
Zerk
Banned

Best way to go is probably the harley retro hydraulic fix. But you don't ride alot so how much do you want to spend? Myslef would be nice to do that, replace inner and outer cam bearings, and not go in there for a very long long time if ever.

Old 08-18-2019 | 10:40 AM
internet troll
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HarleyHappy
Check out mscspareparts.com they sell a whole kit for the spring tensioners that include gaskets, orings, and the good inner and outer bearings. The Teflon pads seem to be wearing not at all on mine, just checked at 15k. Re-use the chains. You will need adjustable push rods. Fuel moto sells cam kit. Your choice for a tuner.

I googled mscspareparts and all I found was a model car supply company. Did I miss something?

Quick Reply: Best source for a Andrews cam and tensioner fix package?