Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best source for a Andrews cam and tensioner fix package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019 | 11:09 AM
gdt3
Tourer

I upgraded my 2001 Wide Glide (FXDWG) with the 2007 complete cam chest and Andrews 21N cams. The power and torque are excellent. Maybe even better than excellent. However, I ended up with a serious problem with any advanced throttle application and it drove me crazy trying to find it.It was like it was running out of gas. I had a K&N filter on it, which is a great filter. I was continually taking off the filter to access the carb trying to find out the source of the problem. I got tired of taking off the filter and one time I changed something and didn't bother to put the filter back on to take a run down the street for a test. Bingo! No problem. It turned out that the stock filter size was totally inadequate for the new cams. I got a Screaming Eagle filter unit for it, which is larger, and have been smiling ever since. You'll love those cams and good luck in your project.

Old 09-22-2019 | 12:59 PM
Paul32730
Tourer
Default Winter Project

Hi,

I'm getting ready to do this same job on my 2012 Limited. I'm also looking at Andrew's cams, but I'm leaning toward the 48H.

I just wanted to say two things - I'm not sold on adjustable pushrods. Not comfortable with the adjusting or the locking them down. To me this seems the hardest part of the job and the part with the most possibilty of going wrong for the novice like me. The rest of the job seems pretty straight-forward as long as you pay attention to torque values.

If you are going to take off the rocker boxes and replace the breathers and drill the oil drain holes you may as well reuse the stock pushrods or buy a set of stock-length replacements if yours are worn/damaged. I'm.going to replace my breathers with the new style and drill the holes. I plan on reusing my pushrods and replacing my lifters.

Also, as far as the inner cam bearing removal/replacement tool goes I have one. I bought it from a guy on the forums a few weeks ago. He described it as working for my motor -TC103, but when I got it it's actually for the older TCs that have the B148 inner cam bearings and I believe mine are the B168. It may still work for me, but I may have to by a new collar for my bearing size. It's brand new still in the sealed package.

Either way depending on when you get around to doing your cams I may be done with it or have it for you to use. Just pay me for the shipping and ship it back to me when you are done with it. It's small and will fit in the small USPS Priority box for around $5.00.

Good luck,

Paul

Old 09-22-2019 | 09:41 PM
internet troll
|
Road Master

Thanks for the generous offer, but I took the ***** route......I took the bike to a shop. They gave me a fair quote and I didnt have to dick with valve lash. I walked out with new cams, a Power commander, rods and lifters for just over a grand. Good money spent.

Old 09-23-2019 | 06:42 AM
Paul32730
Tourer
Default Tool

Cool! Glad it worked out for you. I had a dealer install a set in a 2010 Dyna I had. But that bike was under warranty. Current bike is a 2012 Limited with 37K on it. I just went thru the primary side and figured I'd keep going in the cam chest. Having more fun doing it than I thought I would.

Still looking at cams but leaning pretty heavily toward the Andrew's 48H. $249 from FuelMoto. Pretty hard to beat.