Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best source for a Andrews cam and tensioner fix package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019 | 10:55 AM
FPV
Tourer

Originally Posted by internet troll
I googled mscspareparts and all I found was a model car supply company. Did I miss something?
They're also on Feebay under the Seller I.D 699605. $104.99 for the full install kit (no cams).

Drop the first "S" http://mcspareparts.com/

The following users liked this post:
internet troll (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 01:57 PM
internet troll
|
Road Master

Thanks for the heads up. I found the package you were talking about on their website.

So all Ill need on top of that kit are cams, lifters and pushrods?

Old 08-18-2019 | 04:31 PM
FPV
Tourer

Yes, cams, lifters and pushrods. Adjustable pushrods that come with covers and orings would be a plus. Also a service manual and a tuner of your choice.

If you have to remove the exhaust to access the cam cover you'll also need exhaust gaskets.

Last edited by FPV; 08-18-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2019 | 07:43 PM
internet troll
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by FPV
Yes, cams, lifters and pushrods. Adjustable pushrods that come with covers and orings would be a plus. Also a service manual and a tuner of your choice.

If you have to remove the exhaust to access the cam cover you'll also need exhaust gaskets.
Ive already got a fuelpak (the older one with the preset values) Ive been told it will work with a cam but Ill verify.

The exhaust nuts are the ONLY thing that really scare me about this job. They are rusted on tighter than a nuns butt. Im almost considering letting a local indy do the work because Im so scared of snapping a bolt off in the head. I need to start soaking them now to be ready for a winter teardown.

The only technical aspect that has me worried is positioning the cams in relation to TDC. Ive only done cam jobs on V8's. That and setting the preload on the lifters. I really need to search this forum to see if theres a soup to nuts cam swap tutorial.

Old 08-18-2019 | 08:05 PM
HarleyHappy
Stellar HDF Member

Hey sorry about the wrong spelling, the exhaust nuts come off a lot easier than they look. When they look really bad what I will do is spray some Kroil on them run the bike to get it hot and repeat a couple of times and let completely cool. The cams are easy there is a you tube video on jpcycles for s&s I think that goes through the whole thing even though it’s for hydraulic tensioners.
You will also either have to press out the old cams or use the oven and freezer method which works very well.
you will need a bearing puller and setter unless you can borrow one. I used the quickee push rod kit with covers.
All told this is a 5-6 hundred dollar job and is very doable for an average mechanic. The cams line up very easy.

Old 08-18-2019 | 08:06 PM
FPV
Tourer

Here's the JP Cycles vid. Maybe Justin will be of some help to ya?

The following users liked this post:
internet troll (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 08:26 PM
internet troll
|
Road Master

Thanks man. Thats literally exactly what I was looking for. I only had time for 20 minutes of the video but its spot on. Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2019 | 07:26 AM
47Norton
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HarleyHappy
Hey sorry about the wrong spelling, the exhaust nuts come off a lot easier than they look. When they look really bad what I will do is spray some Kroil on them run the bike to get it hot and repeat a couple of times and let completely cool. The cams are easy there is a you tube video on jpcycles for s&s I think that goes through the whole thing even though it’s for hydraulic tensioners.
You will also either have to press out the old cams or use the oven and freezer method which works very well.
you will need a bearing puller and setter unless you can borrow one. I used the quickee push rod kit with covers.
All told this is a 5-6 hundred dollar job and is very doable for an average mechanic. The cams line up very easy.
I would like to second the recommendation for Kroil.. This stuff is magic when used correctly (soaking).

Old 08-23-2019 | 12:22 AM
internet troll
|
Road Master

I bought the bng/gasket kit off ebay tonight from the suggested vendor. That was a great deal.

I know where Ill be getting the cams. I need to save a bit and start shopping for the quickie pushrod setup.

Im still a little uneasy about setting up the pushrods. (I had a real bad experience setting up valve lash on a 454 and Im still gun shy) Does anybody have a good tutorial for setting the valves (specifically preload and adjustment) using quikie SS rods?

Old 08-23-2019 | 05:58 AM
FPV
Tourer

In that vid posted above start at 37:45 and Justin explains the anatomy of a lifter and at 42:38 he explains the difference in pushrod styles S&S offers. At 44:28 he gets into the actual adjustment of the Quickie pushrods after finding TDC. If you're not using limited travel spacers in the lifters, as most don't, then just ignore that part same as with the Easy-Start cams. The rubber bands and bent paper clips he uses to hold up the pushrods covers for easier adjustment access works rather slick.
Your factory service manual will also be useful for explaining TDC and bleed down of the lifters before you move onto the next cylinder. Be sure not to rotate that crank until the lifter has bled down. I prefer to wait about half an hour.

With new lifters I use an old school metal pistol oiler can to fill them with oil. Here's a vid explaining that; https://www.fixmyhog.com/video/insta...fters-015945/#

FPV.

Last edited by FPV; 08-23-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Best source for a Andrews cam and tensioner fix package?