Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here with a Muller hydro clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 1,024 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Anyone here with a Muller hydro clutch?

I currently have AIM VP026-95IV on my stock 16 SGS. primary reason for me to install AIM was to reduce clutch pull. Although I like this feature of AIM there are 2 things I don’t like. First it only engages when you have throttle pulled in. Meaning I loose friction zone when I let go of throttle and it makes it difficult for me to maneuver my bike at slow speed in parking lots or other places. Like when I’m slowing down and let go of throttle, I cant feel the friction zone and loose control of bike. Second when throttling I can feel clutch engagement and it gets stiff to pull in or difficult when switching gears fast. I was told by AIM technician that the AIM clutch I have is meant for bikes that have stage 3 and up. I could get lower model of AIM clutch . But since it does not engage when I let go of throttle like a normal bike will do, I need to look at other options. I came across Muller hydro clutch.

On their description for 2016 models it says it Muller will reduce clutch pull effort by 30%, but for 2017 and up models they have different clutch that says it reduces clutch pull by 40%.

How much easier you guys think 30% will be ? Those of you who have Muller, what do you guys think of it ? Do you think I’ll be happy with it.

Thanks for for your feedback.

BTW I’ve also tried reckluse clutch . It has the same problem that it starts engaging only when you throttle up.

Last edited by pyuchem; 08-07-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I’ve got the Muller Hydro Clutch on my 2019 and the 40% advertised pull is very noticeable. It takes no effort to pull whatsoever. A buddy of mine has a 2016 FLHX and will probably be putting in a Muller as well. I’m happy with mine.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Billy889
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I’ve got the Muller Hydro Clutch on my 2019 and the 40% advertised pull is very noticeable. It takes no effort to pull whatsoever. A buddy of mine has a 2016 FLHX and will probably be putting in a Muller as well. I’m happy with mine.
+1

Old 08-07-2019, 11:31 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 1,024 Likes on 502 Posts

Thank you for the feedback. I'll definately look at it. Where is the engagement point and does it have enough friction zone (with AIM VPC friction zone is very less) ? I definitely want as much easy pull as possible. AIM VPC clutch I have starts engaging only when I throttle up, so I loose bike control when slowing down and throttle is dis-engaged. It's been 20k miles with this set up and I'm not enjoying slow manuvering my bike . I totally loose stability in slow speeds. AIM VPC I have to always pull my throttle for the bike to be in friction zone, Is it same with Muller ? or does it behave like a normal bike ?

I''l take it to the dealer for installation. how hard is the install, I dont want dealer quoting me 3 hrs lol

Last edited by pyuchem; 08-07-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Took me about 45 minutes to install. Engagement starts pretty close to the grip on mine and hasn’t changed, good friction zone like I was used to on my cable bikes.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:56 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

Originally Posted by pyuchem
Thank you for the feedback. I'll definately look at it. Where is the engagement point and does it have enough friction zone (with AIM VPC friction zone is very less) ? I definitely want as much easy pull as possible. AIM VPC clutch I have starts engaging only when I throttle up, so I loose bike control when slowing down and throttle is dis-engaged. It's been 20k miles with this set up and I'm not enjoying slow manuvering my bike . I totally loose stability in slow speeds. AIM VPC I have to always pull my throttle for the bike to be in friction zone, Is it same with Muller ? or does it behave like a normal bike ?

I''l take it to the dealer for installation. how hard is the install, I dont want dealer quoting me 3 hrs lol

I have to ask...... could it be possible your VPC is not installed correctly or adjusted correctly.....???

This is the first complaint of this type I've read, or heard, about the AIM VPC... by design, it's not supposed to affect low rpm clutch pull or clamping. The clutch spring you use, should feel the same with or without the AIM VPC at low rpm, until the VPC starts to open up at higher rpm... then it just provides more clamping force than just the spring, and of course more lever effort...

Old 07-12-2021, 11:03 AM
Val_Val
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why didn't you choose AIM LF V3 - LIGHT FORCE CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER ?

Old 07-12-2021, 11:17 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Val_Val
Because the AIM slave was having leaking issues. I believe they are on a different revision now, but when I was doing this upgrade there was only Muller and AIM and AIM’s original unit was faulty back then.

The following users liked this post:
Dan89FLSTC (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 08:23 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,275 Likes on 3,423 Posts

Originally Posted by Val_Val
Because the Muller actually works

Old 07-12-2021, 09:09 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,672 Posts

People need to understand how both of these units really work. In order to reduce the force required on the lever, you are also reducing the travel of the clutch plates, THERE IS NO WAY TO STOP IT! Once you understand that one thing, the only way for them to be different in operation is if they are each reducing the travel and amount of reduce force is slightly different. So the one that has a greater reduction in lever force will have more reduction in the clutch travel and less friction zone, it's just that simple.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (07-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone here with a Muller hydro clutch?