Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Riding School

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Lukin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Riding School

Obviously sport bike riders can choose from dozens of riding schools to help them push themselves and their bikes to the limit. We all know, while large, these baggers can handle well. I see a lot of folks making serious performance upgrades to their bikes. So how do you learn to really push the bikes (if you so choose) other than on the road through trial, error and scaring the crap out of yourself? I have to assume the police forces that have motorcycle details are instructed in aggressive riding techniques. Does anyone know of such a class or school for the general public that caters to performance handling of HD’s or better yet baggers?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts
Default RE: Performance Riding School

i've taken a more than a few kieth code superbike courses and he said he ran a few harley courses at the streets of willow.....don't know if he does it anymore. lol he said the sparks and bits of chrome littering thetrack were amazing

Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ride Like A Pro is a watered down civillian version of the basic police riding techniques. It is a good place to start and is about as close to Police Motor School as the public can get. Police Motor School lasts two weeks, eight hours a day, and the bikes get beat up, dropped, ridden in the dirt, mud, up hills, and such. Ride Like A Pro is five hours long and you use your own bike.

You called itaggresive riding, I call it "controlled agression". I teachmy studentsto "attack" the exercises, and not be timid in them. You have to ride with confidence. I'm not talking about squid like, whellie popping riding, but a controlled attitude that shows You have command and control of the bike, You are ride the bike, the bike does not ride you.

If anyone is SoCal is interested, On Saturday July 14th, I will be putting on aRide Like A Prodemo at Glendale Harley-Davidson as part of their weekend event. Drop by and check it out if you can.

Mark

Old 07-13-2007, 10:09 AM
bonz50
Cruiser

i've spent some time on the track before, it is worth it to take a course, even a sportbike course like california superbike school... you will learn more about motorcycle dynamics in a day than you will in ten yrs of street riding... after taking the MSF course, a track based course would be my next course... i can think of no rider that would not benefit greatly from it...

Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
NeverEnuff
Intermediate

Ask around where you live. Many times the motor cops will teach an advanced course to the public as a side job(very similar, if not exactly the same as the police course). They have one here where I livethat is run by off duty officers.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:06 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the "Ride like a pro" guy down in leesburg, man what a show. it is amazing what can be done on a bagger.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
gibbyair
Cruiser

there is a school here in northern va that use roadkings in there advanced class..you use their bikes..run by off duty officers..very good school..

Old 07-13-2007, 12:25 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I learned by riding the twisties every weekend for many years on both Saturdayand Sunday with highly experienced riders who taught me everything they know. This is not the recommended way to learn, but it worked for me. Along with riding 7 days a week for may years I feel I have a decent grip on handling my bike, regardless of the size of it, height of the bars, or anything else. Quite often people ask if I can control the bike with the apes and I just laugh and inform them that I can quite well.

You could say I used to be a squid until I looped a bike. That was the end of wheelies for me...

Old 07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
HECTB
6th Gear

gibbyair - Do you have contact info for the nothern va school?

Thanks, Tom.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:52 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

MotoMark1.com

Mark Brown puts on quality classes.

Mark has one of the best "big bike" courses you can take.

An, you can come back anything within the same year to get refresher if you would like to do so.

Ride Em Carry Em

[&:]