Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head Temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Cruisineasy
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Temp

Maybe this has been beat to death but, I have a '14 SG. I want to install a cylinder head temp gauge. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?? I know I can get a gauge for the oil plug, but I would like to have something i can see on the dash. Been looking at all the bike parts places online and so far not much help..

Old 07-27-2019, 08:42 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

First question is why? All you will do is obsess over it and constantly look at it. Can you do anything about it? no. The heads can take the heat better than you can.

I put an oil temp gauge on my first bike because I too was curious. It was softail and mounted on the oil tank and I looked at it constantly. Even tried to look at it while riding. I swore I would never do put an oil temp gauge on a bike again.

I understand the curiosity and wanting to monitor your bikes health but when you are constantly staring at the gauge because it's climbing ( your stuck in traffic on a hot day and guess what, the temps go up) It becomes unsafe because you aren't paying attention to the traffic and you don't need any added stress watching the temps rise when they are going to be normal for the situation.

That's why I love my Road King. It has the only two things I need to know. Fuel gauge and a clock to see how late to work I am. On rare occasions I might even glance at the speedometer..

Old 07-27-2019, 08:47 AM
Cruisineasy
Advanced

That's true. I don't obsess of it but it's just something I want to keep track of. If it gets too hot, I can pull over and let it cool down.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:30 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,057 Likes on 22,568 Posts

Head fans will assist you in cooling your heads as will several other things.

The following users liked this post:
Cruisineasy (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:44 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,205 Likes on 3,745 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
First question is why? All you will do is obsess over it and constantly look at it. Can you do anything about it? no. The heads can take the heat better than you can.

I put an oil temp gauge on my first bike because I too was curious. It was softail and mounted on the oil tank and I looked at it constantly. Even tried to look at it while riding. I swore I would never do put an oil temp gauge on a bike again.

I understand the curiosity and wanting to monitor your bikes health but when you are constantly staring at the gauge because it's climbing ( your stuck in traffic on a hot day and guess what, the temps go up) It becomes unsafe because you aren't paying attention to the traffic and you don't need any added stress watching the temps rise when they are going to be normal for the situation.

That's why I love my Road King. It has the only two things I need to know. Fuel gauge and a clock to see how late to work I am. On rare occasions I might even glance at the speedometer..

EdwardK (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 6,489 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Cruisineasy (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 10:37 AM
Cruisineasy
Advanced

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Awesome!! Thank you!!!!

Old 07-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Cruisineasy
Advanced

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Head fans will assist you in cooling your heads as will several other things.
My friend has these. Said they work well.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:05 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
...First question is why? ..
Nobody can answer that but you. You present very valid reasons for not worrying about monitoring your engine's health and I get it that folks can obsess over how hot their engine is getting, but if you ever once had an engine overheat and seize up, cage or otherwise, you would probably have a different answer.

I live in metro Houston, and it is frigging hot out there and sitting in traffic will ruin your engine if you are not monitoring your engine as well as traffic. And, I think that you are partially correct with assuming nothing can be done when the oil temp gauge hits 300. You can watch the temp and oil pressure and shut it down and let it cool off before it gets damaged. Without monitoring, all you are doing is assuming, and when it gets so hot that the oil pressure light comes on, you're stranded with a ruined engine.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:59 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13

I live in metro Houston, and it is frigging hot out there

I live in Houston as well and commute on my bike 35 miles one way right through downtown traffic every day. I know exactly what you mean. I've sat in stop in go traffic in temps over 95 more times that I care too. But you're right, I've never had an engine seize due to heat. My bikes have always taken it like a champ. Part of my reason for asking why the op wants to monitor head temps. I didn't know if he had a specific reason for wanting to, like hi performance mods, tuning etc, For just general temperatures, I would think oil temp would be more important to monitor than head temp.

I should have added to my earlier response that you don't really need a gauge to tell that the engine is getting f'ing hot. I can tell by the loss of power and the way the bike runs that's getting extremely hot. Not to mention that nice scalding feeling on your inner thighs

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Temp