Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling options

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 07:33 AM
jesusa.nunez@gmail.com
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cooling options

I'm about to pull the trigger on a coolflow fan from HD and a fan assisted oil cooler for my 19 SG. Wanted to know of anyone else has done these two mods and their opinion ok them.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:00 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jesusa.nunez@gmail.com
I'm about to pull the trigger on a coolflow fan from HD and a fan assisted oil cooler for my 19 SG. Wanted to know of anyone else has done these two mods and their opinion ok them.
I have the cool flow fan on my 2019 SGS. Works very well and moves a lot of air. It’s not intended to help cool the back cylinder when stopped, but it almost certainly has to have some positive effect. I don’t have the oil cooler assisted fan.....in fact, I wanted to get it but my dealership service manager said it wasn’t really necessary......can’t remember the logic, but I took his advice.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 AM
jesusa.nunez@gmail.com
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
I have the cool flow fan on my 2019 SGS. Works very well and moves a lot of air. It’s not intended to help cool the back cylinder when stopped, but it almost certainly has to have some positive effect. I don’t have the oil cooler assisted fan.....in fact, I wanted to get it but my dealership service manager said it wasn’t really necessary......can’t remember the logic, but I took his advice.
I was taking a look the other day at the oil cooler and saw how skinny it was... And thought yep definitely need that upgrade especially with how hot it is right now in Cali, 100+..

Old 07-27-2019, 08:05 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

I just bought a Ultra Cool dual fan assist oil cooler but I haven’t installed it yet . After looking everywhere I figured for my 07, it was the best.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:57 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

The H-D Coolfan works well. My right leg used to get burning hot in slower traffic. With the CF in the auto mode it takes the heat away from the rear head and off the leg. Now it is much more comfortable.

Just know, if you install it yourself you will need the optional harness shown in the installation instructions. You can see these instructions ahead of time online. Then, you will also have to have your dealer flash the ECM for it to regognise the CF.

The mounting bolts are a stif PITA to install without taking everything apart like the instructions suggest, but I managed to do it with a little perserverence and an extension on the socket.

Didn't feel a need for the oil cooler assist fan. Just needed to get the heat off the right leg.

The following users liked this post:
xsivhp (05-19-2022)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
His logic is kind of on the money depending.
Oil temperatures are at their highest when you're cruising at fast-moving speeds as the Pistons are sprayed with oil to cool them. Of course at these speeds you already have a lot of air moving through the oil cooler.
At slow-moving speeds they are not really sprayed any longer with oil and the oil cools down. However if you're stuck in traffic the oil temperatures will rise up to and possibly passing the oil temperatures at high speeds so it's at this point where a fan might come in handy if you're stuck in traffic.
Add to that the M8 engine uses oil to cool around the valves so my opinion is having a fan is not a bad idea.
I have a Rushmore bike and the valves are not cooled by oil I did put in a 10 row Jagg oil cooler to replace the eight row OEM and use a Lenale engine fan for those few times I'm stuck in traffic or moving very slowly on a hundred degree day.
Typical oil temperatures on my Rushmore at highway speeds of over 70 miles an hour for extended periods we'll reach around 257 degrees soon as I get off the interstate it cools down on its own without the fan but again if I'm stuck in traffic it will climb back up there and more unless I turn on the engine fan. The engine fan will cook your leg though but whatever..
Since Harley makes a drop in oil cooler with fan for the M8 it's something that I would probably install in my hot climate.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 07-27-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 PM
troopin
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I had terrible heat on my right leg. I installed the thunder max oil cooler fan about a hundred cheaper than Harley. Dealer flashed it for me when I had other work done for free. I also installed the cool flow fan with the mid frame deflection which catches the heat for the cool flow fan to catch and divert. I also decatted the headers. Now I run very comfortably. I did it all at once

Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

How about this, google Love Jugs, watch their video and then make a decision where your money would be best spent. Personally, I would go with the Love Jugs.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:24 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
...My right leg used to get burning hot in slower traffic...
I am running Rinehart True-Duals and the rear head pipe does not come down the right side and under the bike, it bends over the trans cover and down the left side. Even when I was aware that my engine was running hot in summer traffic (temp gauge reads ~250ºF), I have never had any issues with either of my legs getting hot. It can get a bit warm on my upper right thigh when I am loitering or stopped in traffic, though, but I do not have heat deflectors and those would probably alleviate that issue somewhat.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

I have the fan-assisted oil cooler accessory on my 2018 Road King. It significantly cools the engine in stop-and-go traffic, which is what it is for. In my opinion it should be stock equipment.

The following users liked this post:
jesusa.nunez@gmail.com (07-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Cooling options