Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes go soft when engine is running

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:19 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

Originally Posted by 470004
Welcome to the forum.
?????????

Old 07-29-2019, 10:23 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

The disk is probably warped. BTDT. Get another one and rebuild the system...~$200, more or less for pads, kits, hardware, and fluid. I bet that once you have done that, you will not have any problems for years to come.

Last edited by skinman13; 07-29-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skinman13
The disk is probably warped. BTDT. Get another one and rebuild the system...~$200, more or less for pads, kits, hardware, and fluid. I bet that once you have done that, you will not have any problems for years to come.
If he's not moving the scooter ( as he states ) a warped rotor should have zero effect on the problem

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Campy Roadie (05-10-2020), eighteight (05-10-2020), Goose_NC (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 839 Posts

Rebuild your calipers. It's sort of common on the 03/04's

Old 07-29-2019, 05:19 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The thickness of the brake pads will have nothing to do with "pumping up" ... Ad
I dunno. I had to pump mine. I rebuilt front master cylinder. I though maybe there was pitting and I needed a new one. I put new pads in, and it went away.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
If he's not moving the scooter ( as he states ) a warped rotor should have zero effect on the problem
I am guilty of assuming that he was stating that his brakes were not working and that how could he know the brakes are not working if he is not moving the bike? If the disk is not warped, then I cannot even guess what would be wrong, and I would stop dicking around with it and rebuild the entire system....(I still think it is a warped disk)

Old 07-29-2019, 07:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skinman13
I am guilty of assuming that he was stating that his brakes were not working and that how could he know the brakes are not working if he is not moving the bike? If the disk is not warped, then I cannot even guess what would be wrong, and I would stop dicking around with it and rebuild the entire system....(I still think it is a warped disk)
Hopefully the OP will chime in on what resolved his problem

Old 05-10-2020, 01:35 PM
OddJob
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, I never got any notifications on most of these posts, so sorry for the VERY late reply. I had previously rebuilt the caliper, cleaning everything out and putting in new seals. There was gunk built up, but not a whole lot. I just got around to rebuilding the master cylinder and finished that last night. The problem still exists. Right now, I am leaning towards the bent rotor. I am about to go out and see if it in fact loses pressure only when the engine is running, or if I have to move it to get it to drop. It's weird though because the rotors don't feel like they are warped or anything. There is no pulse like you would get in a car, but I guess since the rotor is a single plane it would make sense? I will let you all know.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:06 PM
OddJob
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, it's a bent rotor. Didn't think to see if it happened with engine off and the bike moving. If you get on the brakes really hard you can feel it pulse a little bit... Oh well, the master cylinder seals had seen their better days too, so I don't feel bad about messing this one up.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:45 PM
Paulyc
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJob
Yep, it's a bent rotor. Didn't think to see if it happened with engine off and the bike moving. If you get on the brakes really hard you can feel it pulse a little bit... Oh well, the master cylinder seals had seen their better days too, so I don't feel bad about messing this one up.
Thankx alot ive been driving myself nuts for a wk over this very issue rebuilt master cylinder bleed brakes over nad over but the problem was a bent rotor. I never noticed cause was so slight unless you braked hard you never noticed. Thanks again for the info finally after a week i have good rear brakes again.