Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX - Kill Devil Hills, NC

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:56 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBX - Kill Devil Hills, NC

In a few short days I'll be heading off for the Outer Banks of NC, Kill Devil Hills to be exact. Unfortunately I'm not going on the bike [sm=smiley6.gif]. Fiance is 6 months pregnant and it would take us18 hours to go the 515 miles with all of the pee breaks. As this is my first trip to the OBX I was hoping some of my touring friends could maybe point out some "must do's/see" in the area.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:43 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OBX - Kill Devil Hills, NC

Go to Maneto just across bridge from Nags Head. Marina there. Every evening about 4 to 5 o'clock the fishing boats come in. You get to see the catch for the day. They throw them off the boats onto the piers.
Also, drive down to Cape Hattras to the Lighthouse and up to Corrola to the Lighthouse.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:06 PM
edman48
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello and hope you have a safe trip! We probably ride there from Va Beach several times a month. It is a great ride especially, via the Knotts Island. There are a lot of things to do and see in the OBX. The Kitty Hawk HD is located about a mile or so from the bridge into Kitty Hawk.They have rentals if you are interested. The dealer also has a T-shirt/collectibles off the main drag in Nags Head. You can see the sign from the road.

There are great places to eat! Try Henry's Restaurant in Nags Head on the main drag. A local family owned restaurant with great home cooking and really good prices!

Don't forget to see the Wright Brothers Memorial and visitor center!

Other than that, just try to enjoy yourselves and be safe!

Regards,

Ed

2003 V-Rod
2006 Road Glide

Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM
LavaredRKC
1st Gear

You are going in season so it will be a little busy, especially in the area you plan to stay. I'm sure you will get a lot of good ideas here, I haven't been in back in the last 2 years so I'm not sure how the fishing piers look now. Those are always good for a little down time, If you can squeeze in try lunch or breakfeast at Sam and Omies. One of the local chains serve a fried lobster lasagna, Dirty Dicks I believe. It sounds strange but it's very good.
Great vacation spot. Oh yeah, if you want to get away from the crowds, head either north or south from where you plan to stay. One last comment, look around for other places to stay, you will be wanting to go back.
Have fun

Old 07-12-2007, 05:16 PM
2wheeler
Advanced

Head up North from Kitty Hawk to Corolla, you can rent a jeep up there with a GPS program to take up and around Carova which is a 4x4 community.....with luck you'll see the wild horses that live up there as well as having a great time bombing around in the sand. Great time!

John (Virginia)

Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 PM
cunfuzed
Cruiser

take the ferry over to ocracoke island it's worth the ride theres a little ice cream shop on the bend of the main road near the end and the ice cream is homemade and delicious!!( they also rent bicycles)also theres a nice restaurant next door, and ask how to get to the oldest working lighthouse made of cement it's just around the corner if you can find it! was there in april for hog rally had a nice time but very pricey everything!!! if you go to dirty dicks bring tons of money it's good seafood but very expensive IMHO.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:36 PM
cunfuzed
Cruiser

oh yeah, and don't bypass the wright bros. museum it is very cool and you can drive your pregnant fiance' around the memorial the walk up is a killer but the view is worth it!! here is a link to some photos we took while there
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2460...60343771bRrfBB

Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As mentioned- catch the Wright Bros. Memorial, and another good joint to eat at is Slammin' Sammy's on the main drag. Kitty Hawk H-D is a nice store if you get a chance to swing by there.

We usually go over there once or twice a month- it's only about an hours ride from our house. It's a zoo over there this time of year- I was over there a few weeks ago and it's pretty crazy...

Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 PM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2wheeler

Head up North from Kitty Hawk to Corolla, you can rent a jeep up there with a GPS program to take up and around Carova which is a 4x4 community.....with luck you'll see the wild horses that live up there as well as having a great time bombing around in the sand. Great time!

John (Virginia)
Go at night and you can leave some butt prints in the sand. [sm=drlove.gif]Watch out for the horse apples![sm=escape.gif]

Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I used to go there often. If you can get a hold of a 4 wheel drive vehicle, try riding along the beach between Buxton and Hatteras, just let out some air from the tires so you don't get stuck. Check out all the naked honeyssunning on the beach. Bunch of us would go for weekend surf fishing trips to the Outer Banks and when the fishing sucked......would cruise the beach and enjoy the show. Oh thats right, you did mention your pregnant wife........just remind her theirs no restrooms on the beach and send her shopping while you check out the shore. Used to ride my bike to that area too and would fish the piers. They rent poles at most of them. Not sure if any of the piers are still standing since its been 17 years since i was there last. Have fun on your trip...............

Quick Reply: OBX - Kill Devil Hills, NC