Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad gas mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
SFarace20
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad gas mileage???

Thanks everybody, dyno it is. I ride pretty mellow IMHO, and I should be getting MPG in the 40+ range with my bike and the mods I have done to it!!

Thanks

Sam

Old 07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
2kflhr
Cruiser

I get ~36-37 mpg consistently. 160 miles until I roll over to reserve. My bike is a 2k RK with 45k on the ticker. I bought it at 6,700k and this has always been the mileage. 2 up or solo makes no difference. I have a Youst powertube, Stage 1 and I think the previous owner cammed it up when he did the cam bearing replacement. I had V&H's longshots, now Rinehart TD's and my mileage has never changed.

Correction... I have gotten as low as 33 with a hard riding attitude.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

Wow! Whyin the world is everyone getting such bad MPG? My lowest has been 45 mpg in city and average 49 overall. I drive 06 Street Glide w/ Stage 1 (SE slip-ons). I don't baby the bike by any means, but I also don't shred the tires every time I start. My 05 RK Custom was the same way too. Hell, my wife's 07 stock Heritage gets about 47 overall and it only has 2000 miles on it so it is hardly broken in yet.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem on an '06 Ultra, best I ever got was 32 mpg and that was at 65 on a flat Interstate running cruise control 100% of the time. I got this when stock, as well as after doing Stage I (withslip-ons), adding a PC III with appropriate map, and Dyno. After several attempts at getting the dealer to look into this, all I ever got was "that's normal". Now I had a bike that got low mileage, had quite a bit of decel popping and would stumble out of the gate.

After raising some hell at the dealership and a couple letters to MOCO, it was the Sales Manager who took me to meet the new service manager. He offered to take a look at the bike one more time, and to re-dyno it free. All they said they did was re-map for the 25 degree injectors (even though they are sure they did that already) and re-dyno the bike, but all is solved now. I currently get around 42 mpg on the highway. Not sure if they found something else andjust won't tell me. I also had the bike for for excessive front brake drag, and was told that it was normal but after I got it back the excessive brake drag had disappeared.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I routinely get 42-46. Most often 42-44. I do not twist the throttle excessively but once in awhile like all of us I do get the urge. My driving is about 50/50 two up and about 40/60 city vs rural. I went on a long trip last summer, coast to coast, and got 35-36 on one stretch which was my worse to date. It was two up, very hot, high mountains and fully loaded including rack with full bag. I was very heavy.

2006 Ultra-95 kit-204 cam-SERT-Supertrapp slip ons-22,00 miles.

I am leaving on my summer trip in the next couple of days for about three weeks and will post milage when done. I hope you find the problem SFarace20.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The problem with mileage claims is that it all depends on the conditions and type of riding you do. For example, mine varies from 40-50mpg depending on whether I'm riding in the city with numerous cold starts or a leisurely ride on the backroads with few cold starts. The cold running will kill mileage because the EFI is dumping more fuel in the A/F to make it run smooth, just like a choke except you have no control over it. The bikes take forever to warm up, even in summer, and cool down very quickly. Thus, when warmng up mileage is atrocious. Here's about what I'm getting lately in these warm summer temps:

Backroads, few cold starts, avg. 55mph: 50 mpg
Backroads, few cold starts, avg. 65mph: 47 mpg
City, numerous cold starts: 40 mpg

You guys with PCIII's and canned maps can increase your mileage by leaning the take-off (1k-2k RPM @ 2-40% TP) and cruise (2-3k RPM @ 5-10% TP) ranges. I took the Fuel Moto values for these positions on the map and cut them to 25% of their original values or even less. IOW, if it was "12" it is now "3" or lower. I may move the cruise range down to "0" to experiment more since my oil temps are under control at this time and I'm hearing no detonation. Warning: Be careful with trimming 20% or higher in the cruise range, because if you go too lean you'll have a flat spot at roll-on. I've left my map alone from 20-100% above 2k RPM, and thus performance should not be affected at all.

There is a downside or at least some compromise in all of this. In very hot weather in traffic the bike will heat up a bit since you will likely be running in the ranges you've leaned out. My oil temps got up to 230° one day after 5 miles of slow going following a 30-mile blast down the interstate, which most would consider normal for an '07, but being unhappy I made yet another modification. I bought a Multi-function Hub with Map Switch for the PCIII, which allows the PCIII to store two maps, which are switchable on the fly. I have my lean map on Map 1 and the original Fuel Moto map for Map 2, the latter being much richer in these two ranges. This actually worked, and I can run my lean map, then switch to the richer map that'll make the bike run cooler when needed. It's like having the best of both worlds. Now, my normal oil temps are around 190-205° when moving (cooler when riding faster). When the rich map is running temps haven't gone above 210° (yet). In a test using Map 2, I ran the bike around a loop several times through some dense traffic in the middle of the day at around 90°. I also have an HD Premium oil cooler installed, which helps greatly, as does the use of synthetic oil.