Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis rally

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 01:20 PM
TodPedro
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I've ridden there and back from Charleston SC 4 times. Once all the way to Yellowstone and back. The ride is completely worth it even after consecutive 500-600 miles days. It's about 2000 miles from CHS.
In my opinion having been on the bike and in the elements that long (4-5 days straight for us) makes getting to the rally more like an achievement, something earned.
When you roll into the cool mountains of the Black Hills after days in those boring hot high plains you'll sincerely appreciate it and may be proud of yourself for taking the journey.

Travel/Rally advice in no certain order:
1. If you have a bunch of stuff, just ship it to the campground - seriously do this. It's easier than carrying it into a hotel every night and making sure it doesn't fall off the bike all day.
2. Learn the "go around Lazelle Street" routes.
3. Get a Ozark/Yeti 32 Ounce cup with Magnetic top slide and a handle bar cup holder (like Ciro). I hate drinking hot water after a few hours. Nothing is easier to use and is as perfectly insulated. JMHO
4. If you're getting old like me, take aspirin before you need it. Couple of hours into a ride, start taking it. Nothing like riding with side/knee/leg/neck pain while you wait for meds to take effect.
5. On long rides, 100 miles = two hours on average no matter how fast you ride. Plan accordingly.
6. If you're going to visit local attractions, get out of the campground early. Put you some coffee in that Yeti and roll out soon as possible.
7. It's like 10 bucks for parking at Rushmore. Don't act surprised when you see that. Merica.
8. If you make it to Yellowstone/Grand Teton, it's like 25/30 bucks to get into each park. Again... Merica.
9. If you have to use the public showers bring shower shoes. You don't want your feet getting screwed up or worse yet, pregnant.
10. If you want to sleep at the Chip, pick a spot well away from the stage.

Anyway, have a great time. I'm skipping this year, going to Laconia next year, so maybe I'll be heading back the year after. Can't wait. It's excellent.

You need to update your map!

The following users liked this post:
lp (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:54 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Idiots will tell you it's crazy to ride there. I've been 5 times, rode there 5 times from Michigan. In some ways it's the best part of the trip
Going TO is always the best part of any trip.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:56 PM
e6fmf
Road Master

Originally Posted by ridingout
I will be leaving Indianapolis on 8-1 for my first trip to Sturgis and I can hardly wait. The bike is ready, new tires,brake pads,all fluids changed. I'll be staying in a upgrade camper at the buffalo chip. My boss gave me this paid for trip because him and his wife decided not to go this year. All I have to do is get there. Some people are saying I'm crazy for riding out there but I like to ride,to me the journey is as enjoyable as the destination. So I'm looking for advice or tips from people that have done it. Maybe I'll run in to some of you there. Thanks in advance
Don't even think of what others say. They're either jealous, or pussies.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:58 PM
e6fmf
Road Master

Originally Posted by n of 1
I've never made the trip so no advice there, but of my friends who have those that rode had the better experience. I've never understood trailering a bike to a bike rally. Trailers are for boats. Enjoy the trip, day trips in the area sound fantastic.
Say that after you turn 50.

The following 3 users liked this post by e6fmf:
binford6100 (07-22-2019), Jaftica (11-30-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:59 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

guess we all need to do it once anyway... mine was last year.. perfect weather... nice people... fair rides... but i will take the smoky mountains anyday over the black hills...just kinda boring to look at IMO... best time for me was 2 trips into deadwood... really neat place

Long lonesome highwayman (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:05 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I get the whole age and health issues when talking about trailering, but not the time constraints excuse, I can go as far in one day on my bike as I can in a truck with a trailer so I don't buy that excuse.
In the same amount of time? There is no way after riding 8+ hours in 90 degree F heat on a bike you'd feel the same as in a car with AC. You certainly aren't going as fast riding on a bike in a rainstorm as a car. What about riding in the evening? The riders I know tend to slow the pace down in the late evening/night due to less visibility, possible animals crossing the road, more difficult to see hazards in the road, etc.

Sure, you might be able to cover the same amount of mileage, but it won't be in the same amount of time or you certainly won't feel as rested. Plus, in a car/truck one can share driving duties and certainly cover a lot more miles safer than one could on a bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by LQQK_OUT:
Godinaz (07-26-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 378 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by e6fmf
Say that after you turn 50.
I'm 61 :-) and Gonna Ride Mine :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Circa58:
Godinaz (07-26-2019), Spindrifter (07-24-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:39 PM
ridingout
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 173 Posts

This has been on my bucket list for a few years now,so when my boss offered it to me I couldn't pass it up. Plus he's going to pay me for the time off,as I've burned most of my vacation time this year. I'm ready to start packing!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by ridingout:
Bflo_SG (07-23-2019), Circa58 (07-20-2019), Spindrifter (07-24-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:50 PM
ridingout
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 173 Posts

Also I know I can't cover as much ground on my bike as I can in a car. As I said earlier I've been to the smoky mountains twice and several 400 mile day trips. 75 to 80 mph starts to wear on me after 350 miles so. for that reason I planned on stopping in ankeny Iowa the first night, 480 miles. if I ride out of here by 6 am I should be there by dinner time, weather and traffic permitting.

Circa58 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:28 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Circa58
1200 miles from Indianapolis, but I agree, its all part of it, my son is riding with us on his Ducati Hypermotard, now that might be considered crazy :-)
motard lol that might be crazy we just did the myrtle beach rally and rode up but it is only 3 hours so its a nice ride.

Last edited by svarnster; 07-20-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Circa58 (07-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Sturgis rally