Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chroming OME clutch bracket & break reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:20 AM
O5HOG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chroming OME clutch bracket & break reservoir?

Has anyone tried having their OME switch housings, clutch bracket & break reservoir chrome plated and if so did you experience any problems? I am think about having my OME controls chrome plated instead of buying they from the dealer.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Default RE: Chroming OME clutch bracket & break reservoir?

Your going to spend almost the same amount from a good quality chromer to get your stuff chromed as your would using the Harley stuff. Check Ebay and see if you can find a deal on some.

Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/92F26DCA46D34017854D880D4B147742.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

not to mention the down time!

Old 10-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed..

And on the subject of chrome hand controls..
Why doesn't the moco just have a single part number kit for the stuff to chrome everything out.
It's dang difficult to try to interpret their terrible, and I mean terrible, descriptions and put together a list.
Sorry, whew.. had to vent.. I'm better now.

So to be some help.. Here's what I've put together for your comparison.. adjusting for the tourbikes with dual front brakes:

Chrome Switch Housing Kit - 70222-96A - $123.95
Chrome Resevoir Cover Kit - 46099-98 - $69.95 46099 for tourbikes, 46098 for softails.
Chrome Levers - 45075-96 - $79.95

For a grand total of $273.85

luvmyflhtcui makes a good point at that price.. You can buy straight out of the custom chrome catalog, or drag specialties or ebay for that matter (probably from the same catalogs) or jp cycles, and get the same parts for probably a good bit less. What you're paying for is the convenient ability to waltz back in and drop it back on the desk if they give you the wrong part or there's a defect in the chrome or something.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:29 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Babs

Agreed..

And on the subject of chrome hand controls..
Why doesn't the moco just have a single part number kit for the stuff to chrome everything out.
It's dang difficult to try to interpret their terrible, and I mean terrible, descriptions and put together a list.
Sorry, whew.. had to vent.. I'm better now.

So to be some help.. Here's what I've put together for your comparison.. adjusting for the tourbikes with dual front brakes:

Chrome Switch Housing Kit - 70222-96A - $123.95
Chrome Resevoir Cover Kit - 46099-98 - $69.95 46099 for tourbikes, 46098 for softails.
Chrome Levers - 45075-96 - $79.95

For a grand total of $273.85

luvmyflhtcui makes a good point at that price.. You can buy straight out of the custom chrome catalog, or drag specialties or ebay for that matter (probably from the same catalogs) or jp cycles, and get the same parts for probably a good bit less. What you're paying for is the convenient ability to waltz back in and drop it back on the desk if they give you the wrong part or there's a defect in the chrome or something.

Part# 46099-98 includes the cheesy, and I do mean cheesy, master cylinder cover. A freind of mine just put this on his bike, and it looks well, cheesy. I had my switch housings, clamps, clutch perch and master cylinder chromed for my softail back in '98 (before H-D started making it easy for people to just plunk down $$$$ to make their bikes look pretty (venting)), it's a lot of work, and if your not handy I wouldn't recommed attempting this, especially since the master cylinder has to be honed and rebuilt.

H-D sells a chrome master cylinder reservoir kit (not cover) for $295, but it does not say if the master cylinder is assembled with the internal components. Add the chrome switch housings for $135. And then the catalog is not clear on whether either of these kits includes the master cylinder or clutch perch clamps. So your looking at minimum $430 to do it properly, and if your gonna go that far you should do chrome handlebars and run the wires internally. Like I said, it's a lot of work. I'm not qouting any p/n's as I don't know what kind of bike you have.

Babs is right, they need to come out with a single p/n for ALL chrome kit and also have individual p/n's for people who don't want to go thru the hassle and expense of chroming everything.

Do your homework before you take the plunge...