Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ELECTRAGLIDE OR STREETGLIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ELECTRAGLIDE OR STREETGLIDE

Bonz50 hit it right on the head. Ihave owned alot of bikes and have an EGC now and even though the SG looks nice, if you are going to add a tour pack you are going to spend more money buying the SG and adding the tour pack than you would if you bought the EGC and made the tour pack detachable. There is only about a $100 dollars difference in price and to add the tour pack with all the accessories you'll need, you are looking at over $1,000.00 dollars. Another thing to keep in mind too is the fact that the SG only comes in solid colors, no two-tones. Take the saddlebag rails off from around the bags like I did and you have a clean SG look.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Street Glide and it is hands down theBEST motorcycle I have ever owned. No one has ever had to fix it. I have friends withstandard EG's and Ultra's...no issues whatsoever. I vote for the StreetGlide. I think either bike willbe a great choice. TheStreet Glide looks good sitting there and it performs even better on the road, it handles great is comfortable and makes a great touring bike. I cannot say anything bad about my StreetGlide and would recomment it highly. Mine has been nothing but great fun. Good luck with whatever you pick. I can only hope your experienceis just like mine, great!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

I have a Streetglide. It is, hands down, the worst motorcycle I have ever owned.
You just got a bad motorcycle. Could happen with any of them. The SG is the same basic bike as the EG Classic, Ultra or Standard, so there is nothing inherentlywrong with the Street Glide just because it is a Street Glide. Only mechanical difference between it and the others is the 1" lower rear.

Bill

Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bonz50

ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

I have a Streetglide. It is, hands down, the worst motorcycle I have ever owned. No one can tell me how to fix it. I have many friends with standard EG's, and Ultra's... no issues whatsoever. I vote for the EG. I think it will be the better bike long term. SG looks good sitting there, but that is not what you want to do with a touring bike, you wanna ride it.... Buy an EG, tweak it to be what you want. SG? I cannot say anything good about mine, and could not recommend it to my worst enemy. Mine has been nothing but trouble. Good luck with whatever you pick. I can only hope that your experience is better than mine.
since you brought it up, i gotta ask....... what problems have you been having????
Heat was a big one... fought with the dealer, finally got 25 degree angle injectors on it.
Still hot.. took it to another dealer, they said put Rineharts, SE intake, and a SERT on it. Did that... Rineharts vibed loose in a week, tips discolored. This dealer charged me for a dyno that their sub never did.
Still hot, took it to another dealer... they put a fan on it, and did a dyno tune. Left the bike there for over a month while they get someone trained on how to dyno a SERT bike. Bike ran ok in winter temps. Warmed up? Started missing at speed. Took the bike back, asked them to check fuel pressure, coil energy, replace the fuel filter, check spark plug wires.. They did another download, told me the base map on the ECM was wrong.. setup for 203 cams which I don't have. Did not check anything that I asked them to check...
Bike now running hot and missing at constant speed. Take it to an independent. Ask him to do 10k service and put a thundermax on it. I have had nothing but drama and stupidity dealing with dealerships... Not ever going back to one... Thundermax sounds like a cool idea, eliminates the proprietary Harley trash brain ECM. Asked him if he thought that was a good way to go. He says he can probably do this in time for me to go to Gettysburg... Tow the bike up there, call him, reiterate what I want to do... Calls me back, says the bike is ready. Asked him why it was missing at speed. He said it is really running poorly throughout the entire RPM range. I asked him what he did to address that as it was part of the original complaint. He said that he needs to put it on a dyno.... Doesn't think a thundermax will solve the problem, but does not want to check the CPS or anything else. So, I have a chitty running bike with a fresh 10k service. Still not rideable. Just like the dealers, no idea what is wrong, stupid excuses to not do anything. I will leave the bike there for 2 weeks, and then go get it, pay him, and wholesale it as soon as I find a wholesaler that will take it. This is the only HD that I have heard and experienced this kind of stupidity with..

Would have no problem paying someone to fix the bike. But I have not found a dealer or an independent in DC, MD, VA that can do this. The bike has been to Rockville HD, Winchester HD, Patriot HD, and HD of Washington. All these folks could not make it happen. Rockville and Patriot told me that all HD's run like this. Winchester? Don't even get me started. At the independent shop now. Will give him the 2 weeks, and then if you want that shop name, you can have that too. It is my feeling that I have run out of place to take this bike. Last stop? Dump or the wholesaler, or remotor with a bigger S+S motor, carbed, and throw a DD6 out front and see if that works. I think the most popular option for me will be to take my lumps and wholesale it. This bike has been a part time job for the last 18 months with a non-existent payoff. I think I will quit.

Been to dealers and independents in the DC metro area, VA, and MD. No one has ever delivered a fully functional bike. If you do buy a bike, realize that SERT is a kiss of death outside of a dealership. Sort of a kiss

Old 07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
bonz50
Cruiser

damn that sucks... i guess i'm lucky, i've never had a vehicle of any type that has given me those kinds of problems that i didn't bring on myself...

Old 07-12-2007, 01:10 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bonz50

damn that sucks... i guess i'm lucky, i've never had a vehicle of any type that has given me those kinds of problems that i didn't bring on myself...
Neither have I. Did not mod this bike hard, rode it gently, took the best care of it of any bike I have ever owned. Whatever. I will get rid of it and move on.. sorry for the drama... I will quit raining on people's parades, wholesale it, and go ride something else.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 PM
mario940
Advanced

My first Harley-Davidson is a 2003 Electra-Glide Standard with a whole bunch of stuff on it that I may have not been able to afford adding on my own. I spent about 4 times as much on this than on my first bike, a Yamaha, and I lost many nights of sleep, debating wheather I should have done it or not. That was in February. I tell you what, I would do it again in a heartbeat. The apprehension comes with the anticipation and we tend to look for reasons why we shouldn't rather than why we should. At least that's how I felt. Just my opinion...

Old 07-12-2007, 01:24 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gostaz,

You've got a lemon, no doubt. But I don't think those motor problems would go away by the bike being wrapped as an EG Standard, Classic, or even Road Glide. That's just a bad powerplant you have there, combined with somecrappy service from various dealerships/mechanics. Good luck to you.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:40 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Gostaz, i feel for you bud, that really blows and it CAN happen to anyone of us.

To the OP, I have an 07 Ultra and really love the darn thing, I've had to do some things to fix it for my own pleasure, Stage 1, PCIII, mainly cooling it down and for more power, but you'll need to those with the SG also.

The main complaint I've heard about the SG is really of the long distance and 2up variety. Seat isn't comfy for long distance and your storage is limited. Both easily remedied as far as I'm concerned. I know of only one guy who is really concidering trading in the SG for an Ultra, but he does some serious long distance touring where the UC makes alot more sense.

The SG is a sweet looking bike, but i have no regrets with owning the Ultra since my wife and daughter like to come along quite often, and I personally like the nostalgic look of the big turn lights and extra metal around the fenders and saddlebags.

Tough decision but one only you can make.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:14 PM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Gostaz, I feel really bad about your experience with your bike but to say it's because it's a Street Glide is just wrong. You have a bad bike and it could have been in any of the touring family bikes not just because it's a Street Glide. To say your friends bikes are better because they are Electra Glides is just missing the point that your Street Glide is the same bike as theirs but with a few different bolt ons. Don't let up on the dealers until they make it right. As others have said my Street Glide is one of the best bikes I have ever owned hands down.

Paul

Quick Reply: ELECTRAGLIDE OR STREETGLIDE