Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ELECTRAGLIDE OR STREETGLIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Rattle Can
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ELECTRAGLIDE OR STREETGLIDE

I have an 07 Electra Glide Standard. I've had it about a month and it's now got 3700 miles and 4 states under it's belt.

I did the Stage 1 download with an aircleaner and have a race tuner on a shelf in my garage and am shopping for a D&D Fat Cat. The race tuner and the Fat Cat will go on the same time as the 103 build goes in. I just bought a 6" windshield to try and I am waiting for my Street Glide seat to come in. I'm also keeping the stock "couch" and have a quick release backrest formy wife.

My plan is to build a torque motor in a bike set up to tour on. I personally wouldn't trade my cornering clearance for the slammed look, but that is just my .02 based on what I use my Glide for. I really dig the slammed look, it just doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

As far as possible problems......

I have had 14 bikes over the years. Lots of different brands, lots of different styles. They have ALL had their issues. Some have been deal breakers, some have not. Some companies and dealers have been great to deal with, others have been a real pain in the ****. Fact is, I dig my Harley so much that I am willing to work through issues...if and when I have one. So far, it's been glitch free and nothing but satisfying.

So quit worrying, get some sleep, and ride what you like. I have learnedtons from owners groups, but if I took to heart everything that was discussed on them, I wouldn't have a bike because I wouldn't be able to figure out which company built a "perfect" product.

One more thing before I shut up. If you really want to spend your time worrying, consider this. This bike is gonna be your baby. Do you really want to have to worry about how somebody else broke in the motor and tranny on your new toy. With your new 08, if you have a problem, you take it to the service guy, grin and say "hmm, looks like YOU got a problem".....which is way better than taking your unknown quantity to him and him saying "hmm, looks like YOU got a problem".

Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 AM
bonz50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've kinda been in the same dilemna for a bit here myself... SG or EGC... it really is a tough call... from a value standpoint i think the classic might be the better deal as it is a lot easier/cheaper to make the classic a stripped down SG than the make the SG a part time full dresser...

for me, the EGC needs the following:
1. lose the saddlebag trim and a few other pieces to clean it up (free for the most part)
2. different windshield
3. detachable tourpak mounts
4. cleaned up taillight and turn signal assembly

the SG needs:
1. adjustable passenger floorboards
2. seat
3. tour pak + hardware
4. driving lamps (personal preference, i like having them)

for me and my needs, its cheaper for me to get the EGC, but that doesn't mean i wouldn't get the SG... i'm going to have to look a lot closer at it before I make my choice, but right now the EGC is in the lead from a $$ standpoint (which at the moment it very important) and the EGC is much more ridable for my wife up front if i can't afford the add-ons right away...

Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a question that's been around ever sense the Street Glide came out and I don't think anyone but the buyer can answer it.All the Street Glide riders are gonna tell You to get a Street Glide and all the Electra Glide owners are gonna tell You to get the Electra Glide so good luck.The way I see it is like Soos and Bonz mentioned.With the E/G you get two bikes in one with a little work and money.With the S/G You get both bikes but it will cost You more.They're both awesome bikes. I say,get what YOU want cause everyone on this board is bias as You will be once You make up Your mind on which way to go.You can't go wrong with either one IMHO!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the one that APPEALS to you most. That way working for it makes it a little easier to swallow the cost.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have an EG Classic that I have stripped to SG configuration. Wife has a SG that she has added a tour pac to. Both bikes are basically the same except for options, and they are both about the same price. That being said, it is more economical to strip an EG Classic to SG than it is to add to the SG to get a Classic.

Unless you are going to go with a chopped tour pac, which is what the wife had to have, you are better off going with the EG Classic.

Bill

Old 07-12-2007, 10:01 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

At 80 mph out on the highway, your the only one that is going to know the difference between the two of them.

A Carb'd 02 EG with gear driven cams and a simple 95" kit with higher primary gearing for cruising the interstate will run all day next to a new SG and cost less to own and maintain in the long run...

Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I should have gone straight for the Ultra.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I have a Streetglide. It is, hands down, the worst motorcycle I have ever owned. No one can tell me how to fix it. I have many friends with standard EG's, and Ultra's... no issues whatsoever. I vote for the EG. I think it will be the better bike long term. SG looks good sitting there, but that is not what you want to do with a touring bike, you wanna ride it.... Buy an EG, tweak it to be what you want. SG? I cannot say anything good about mine, and could not recommend it to my worst enemy. Mine has been nothing but trouble. Good luck with whatever you pick. I can only hope that your experience is better than mine.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
bonz50
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

I have a Streetglide. It is, hands down, the worst motorcycle I have ever owned. No one can tell me how to fix it. I have many friends with standard EG's, and Ultra's... no issues whatsoever. I vote for the EG. I think it will be the better bike long term. SG looks good sitting there, but that is not what you want to do with a touring bike, you wanna ride it.... Buy an EG, tweak it to be what you want. SG? I cannot say anything good about mine, and could not recommend it to my worst enemy. Mine has been nothing but trouble. Good luck with whatever you pick. I can only hope that your experience is better than mine.
since you brought it up, i gotta ask....... what problems have you been having????

Old 07-12-2007, 11:58 AM
The Vig
Advanced

I vote ROADGLIDE I just picked mine up and Iam thrilled. Itfeels like a crossover between the 2 it is comfy enough to ride long days but easy enough to day ride as well.
Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: ELECTRAGLIDE OR STREETGLIDE