Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slipping after primary job

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019 | 12:25 PM
miketv84
|
Road Master
Default Clutch slipping after primary job

Need some feedback here because I'm out of possible ideas. 07 road king . Bike ran and drove fine before.

Disassembled the inner primary to change the seal that was leaking. Everything came out, Clutch pack etc. Barnett coil spring conversion kit was insttalled (unsure of friction plate brands) Reassembled everything. I'll skip over the part of having no clutch engagement. Re inspected the clutch pack, damper spring direction and flat washer. Flat washer is installed first, damper spring with wider part facing out. Narrow friction plate, etc etc. She drives now but slips in every gear.

I've tried multiple readjustments from 1/4 turn to 1 1/2 turns, all with the same result. Lubed the cable, even chrcked the side tranny cover. Throwout bearing and ball bearings looked fine. What is going on with this clutch????? Like i said. Drove fine before so I obviously am missing something here.

Old 07-13-2019 | 01:43 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

When you adjust your cable try your 1/2 turn out then squeeze the clutch handle a few times and adjust again to your half turn again keep doing this untill there is no more change when you squeeze the handle

This helps set the ***** in the bottom of the ramp for full throw

Dave

Old 07-13-2019 | 02:29 PM
miketv84
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Dave
When you adjust your cable try your 1/2 turn out then squeeze the clutch handle a few times and adjust again to your half turn again keep doing this untill there is no more change when you squeeze the handle

Dave
Thanks Dave. What am I feeling for in the clutch lever at the handlebars . Any type of resistance. A little, alot?

Old 07-13-2019 | 02:35 PM
miketv84
|
Road Master

Dave

Is this boiling down to a clutch adjustment issue or something with the clutch pack. I'm almost 1000% sure there is nothing else to change in that basket.

Old 07-13-2019 | 02:37 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

What I have done is slacken off the cable adjuster tighten the clutch rod as normal and then adjust the cable but after pulling the clutch lever a few times you will find the slack you left at the clutch lever is more then when you set it up . It takes two or three times before the clutch lever is stable and no longer moves then you have it

Dave

Old 07-13-2019 | 02:39 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Im sure your parts are fine these clutches are easy once your bald and have no finger nails LOL

Dave

Old 07-13-2019 | 02:44 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

It all starts with getting things right at the bottom.
With plenty of slack in the cable, go back to the pack at the bottom, loosen the nut, and in and out until everything feels good and seated.
THEN take up the cable slack. I used to leave the thickness of a nickel amount of slack at the handle, now I use the thickness of a dime - which ever is your preference.
I am thinking your adjustment at the bottom is a little off. Keep at it, it will come to you.
If you have slack in the cable at the handle right now, the problem has got to be down below causing your slip.

The following users liked this post:
Big Dave (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019 | 02:44 PM
miketv84
|
Road Master

Im sure your parts are fine these clutches are easy once your bald and have no finger nails LOL

Dave

Lol. I just don't want to pull the outer primary xover for the 4th time !

Does that stack sound correct for the pack ? Damper seat washer first, damper spring (jutter spring) second, narrow friction plate , pressure plate, friction plate, etc. Last plate is friction, followed by the orange Barnett pressure plate. Springs and screws.

Old 07-13-2019 | 02:54 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds right , But like we are saying you have to get those ***** seated in the bottom of the ramp or you wont get full throw , I had the mistake of using a high quality grease to hold the ***** and everything together

every time i adjusted the rod i would think thats it , What a mess LOL

Dave

Old 07-13-2019 | 03:00 PM
miketv84
|
Road Master

Sounds right , But like we are saying you have to get those ***** seated in the bottom of the ramp or you wont get full throw , I had the mistake of using a high quality grease to hold the ***** and everything together

every time i adjusted the rod i would think thats it , What a mess LOL

Dave

I've adjusted the screw 3 times, each time a half turn. Each time I'm starting to feel resistance at around half way on the lever. I have not touched the adjuster on the cable itself yet. See pic.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping after primary job