Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Graduate - Starting Wage @ Dealer ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:42 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts
Default RE: MMI Graduate - Starting Wage @ Dealer ?

ORIGINAL: PhilM

Man is that ever the truth! [&:]
Heck, it'll take 10yrs to pay off tech school...
there is a program where the dealership will pay off your schooling for you. i was looking into it for after retiring from the military, but with the medical problems my dad had, that went out the window.

ORIGINAL: vegashd

you ahve to have a steady amoutn of work and a good service writer to cushion flat rate times for you too.
how do you cushion flat rate? the book states what the rate is, and thats what the customer is charged for. unless, you are charging the customer 3 hrs for a 2 hr job? that sounds like it could get you in a lot of trouble.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: skratch

there is a program where the dealership will pay off your schooling for you. i was looking into it for after retiring from the military, but with the medical problems my dad had, that went out the window.

you ahve to have a steady amoutn of work and a good service writer to cushion flat rate times for you too.
how do you cushion flat rate? the book states what the rate is, and thats what the customer is charged for. unless, you are charging the customer 3 hrs for a 2 hr job? that sounds like it could get you in a lot of trouble.

What dealership was that? Is it new? The dealerships would have to want to do that and it would take an 8 yr contract to make it worth it to the dealership.

You must be new to service. every automobile and motorcycle dealership tries to get the most out of what they can get. FLat rate is a guide not the law.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

What dealership was that? Is it new? The dealerships would have to want to do that and it would take an 8 yr contract to make it worth it to the dealership.

You must be new to service. every automobile and motorcycle dealership tries to get the most out of what they can get. FLat rate is a guide not the law.
it was not any one specific dealership. it was a hd program. like i said, i didn't get the particulars as far as repayment length, but i figured it was gonna have to be prorated over a couple (maybe 3) years.

no, not new to service. just have always paid 2 hrs labor for a 2 hr job.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:33 AM
beemer737
Tourer

Cushion, they charge 3 hours for a three hour job, but the tech can do it in 90 minutes, so in a 8 hour day, a really good wrench could get alloted 10-12-16 hours worth of work, but only need 8 hours to do it in. The tech should see the majority of this extra rate, not the shop ,as it is free to them, makes the customers happy, keeps the tech happy.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parakiller, Looks as if you aredoing a fine job with your own service. From the looks of your driveway under your bike, you should keep the oil and gasket companies happy.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: beemer737

Cushion, they charge 3 hours for a three hour job, but the tech can do it in 90 minutes, so in a 8 hour day, a really good wrench could get alloted 10-12-16 hours worth of work, but only need 8 hours to do it in. The tech should see the majority of this extra rate, not the shop ,as it is free to them, makes the customers happy, keeps the tech happy.
this i understand, if a 2 hr job takes 90 mins, i still pay for 2 hrs. thats the beauty of flat rate (for the tech anyway). but, if it takes them 3 hrs, i still only pay for 2. i didn't equate this with 'cushioning' cause its up to the technical abilities of the tech on that one.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beemer737, you are correct in what you say about going by the book as to the number of hours it says a job should take and if you can do it in less you are able to do more bikes in a day and can make money off all of them. It's the same in the auto repair/paint & body business also. Having worked in a dealership they do go by the book as far as the # of hours you can be charged for a job. As for a tech making 100K a year I think that's a bit much. Even with a high volume dealer they tend to have more mechanics to cover the load so it evens out anyway.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: parakiller

just one more reason to do the maintenance myself...
Are those old oil stains under your bike in the pic? LOL

Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Homebrew101

Are those old oil stains under your bike in the pic? LOL
huh? did you say something? that sig pic got me a little distracted......

Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 AM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: beemer737

this i understand, if a 2 hr job takes 90 mins, i still pay for 2 hrs. thats the beauty of flat rate (for the tech anyway). but, if it takes them 3 hrs, i still only pay for 2. i didn't equate this with 'cushioning' cause its up to the technical abilities of the tech on that one.
do you actually know what flat rate is? or did you go by what they told you?

Quick Reply: MMI Graduate - Starting Wage @ Dealer ?