Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 ultra classic issues/opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019 | 12:16 AM
backwoodsdave
|
Novice

I have no doubt I’d be more comfortable on the ultra, i guess it’s the mechanical aspect of it being a twin cam that has me curious about the reliability of the bike, I’m sure a lot the twin cam stories are blown out of proportion just like a lot of things, I’ve always done my own wrenching and I’m certainly not intimidated by the mechanics of the bike it’s the thought of that catastrophic failure that’s lingering in the back of my mind I suppose, the current owner has owned the bike for five or six years, I assume I could take the vin to the HD dealer and check the maintenance history for any recalls or work done on the bike through HD, anything in particular I’d need to check on as far as updates/recall issues?

Old 07-11-2019 | 06:15 PM
backwoodsdave
|
Novice

Is this burgundy and cream a rare color or just unpopular, I’ve personally never seen one this color before.

Old 07-11-2019 | 09:11 PM
pei_guy
Cruiser

I looked at an identical bike to this one before I bought mine. Personally, I like this color scheme, looks classic. I say go for it, if the price is right,

Old 07-25-2019 | 10:09 AM
backwoodsdave
|
Novice

Well I think I’ve all but talked myself out of this bike, even though it seems to be a good deal it seems I keep getting hung up on the color, it’s a nice bike definitely but I actually feel crowded on the bike, I’m 6’5” 270 36” inseam and long arms, I feel almost as crowded as on my shovel, that with the fact I’m back and forth on the color, sometimes the color seems ok and classic looking and then it seems kinda pinkish and there’s a lot of paint on the ultra so it really stands out.

Old 07-25-2019 | 01:18 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I'm pretty sure the cam tensioner issue was fixed by 2007.

Beary

Old 07-25-2019 | 01:27 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by backwoodsdave
Well I think I’ve all but talked myself out of this bike, even though it seems to be a good deal it seems I keep getting hung up on the color, it’s a nice bike definitely but I actually feel crowded on the bike, I’m 6’5” 270 36” inseam and long arms, I feel almost as crowded as on my shovel, that with the fact I’m back and forth on the color, sometimes the color seems ok and classic looking and then it seems kinda pinkish and there’s a lot of paint on the ultra so it really stands out.
Replace the seat with something that lets sit up and back a little. Might need different handlebars, I don't know. But you will have the same problem with just about all bikes because you are as big as a mountain.

Beary

Old 07-25-2019 | 01:57 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member

I bought my '07 Ultra in July 2011 with 19K miles on it. I've had a few minor issues with it but I've added some nice upgrades and now has 65,000 miles on it. I absolutely love the bike and after 55 years of riding, I still love getting on it and going for a ride. Whether to work or for a weekend cruise it's just a pleasure to ride. I did have tuner issues with it and couldn't get rid of the pre-detonation but after a cam upgrade and finally putting a Power Vision on it it has never run better. Plenty of power and torque and the comfort to go along with it.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019 | 06:22 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Get the bike.....

The Good:

You have the 96ci engine, which has the new cam plate/oil pump, with the hydraulic cam tensioners.... you don't have to worry about changing out the spring loaded tensioners like the 88ci engines.. The previous version spring tensioners were a ticking time bomb... You don't have to worry about that issue...

You have the 6-speed trans.

You have the Delphi EFI, better than a carb, and much, much better than the earlier MM EFI...

The Bad:

You have the first year of the "upgraded" compensator... just this side of junk. If it hasn't been replaced, when it's time, you can replace it with the newest (2104+) version of that compensator. While the 2014+ compensator isn't bullet proof, it's considerably better than the version you have (if it's OEM)

Someone mentioned the fairing supports that can break... but there is a reliable fix for that

You have the INA brand (OEM) inner cam bearings, unless they were changed during a cam swap. They have caused some problems. I wouldn't go into the cam chest just to change them out, but if you should decide to upgrade cams, then you can switch to the better Koyo-Torrington bearings at that time...

That should be a great bike. I have three twin cams, '01 carb, '03 EFI, '16 EFI, and love them all. They all run fantastic, and I wouldn't hesitate taking off on a multi-day trip on any one of them. While the twin cam had some issues over it's run, unlike the current M8, there are 100% reliable fixes for any of the twin cam issues that should pop-up...

With proper maintenance, it should treat you well for many miles...

Last edited by hattitude; 07-25-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2019 | 06:55 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I have 103000 miles on my 07 FLHTC, changes Compensator, fairing bracket, speed sensor. I use a Mustang Super Tour to set me back because I’m 6’1” but comfortable... if you don’t like the color and you’re not jonesing it, pass... but you are passing up a good deal. I have owned mine since day 1.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 07-25-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2019 | 07:20 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

I've had 4 TC's and they were all pretty trouble free and reliable...if it were me I trade in a heartbeat, you can always repaint it. How often are you going to find a trade like that?

Quick Reply: 2007 ultra classic issues/opinions ?