Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner primary Bearing tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:06 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I did mine on an 01 Road Glide with a 12 ton press I bought from summit or Jegs for that price if I remember right and now I have a tool that serves more than 1 purpose.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:10 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
Also I bought the Baker IPB so no more race.....that was 10k miles ago!
I did too, my 07 is going through them every 25k. 10k isn't enough to say if it is any good.

Something wrong with the design of 6 speed or the new bearings. My 01 doesn't have these issues. I changed out automatic tensioner to a Hayden?? at 25k, but that didn't fix the problem. Hopefully the baker one piece does.

IMO if you have the inner primary off, you should think replacing bearings as good maintenance practice.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:29 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 697 Posts

I took mine to an indy and he did it for 20 bucks.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:40 PM
Zerk
Banned

If you got one near you like, $20 is an incredible price. Some people live in areas with lots of them some don't We got lots of dealers around here, but not lots indies.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,075 Likes on 2,037 Posts

You could go super cheap and use a couple big sockets and some threaded rod , washers and nuts. I used I little shop press to do mine but I made a wheel bearing tool using a couple pieces of pipe, threaded rod, nuts and washers. Lots of options. Heartland sells a cheaper version of the tool as well.

The following users liked this post:
86glider (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:08 PM
00copglide
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just did my 2000 tc88 inners with the Harbor Freight bearing puller kit with the slide hammer
the kit has 4 different size arbors for different size bearings..it worked great! $72.00 for the kit...i put the bearings in the freezer for a couple of hours and they tapped right in with a socket.
i did the outer bearings in the cam plate by pressing them out with my vise...i heated the plate a little with a propane torch...they pressed right out...also did the freezer method for the bearings AND the cam ...worked friggin awesome!!!
i dont know if your year bike has the same setup as mine... but it worked for me!

Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 PM
00copglide
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i ordered the Heartland one originally..they said it was for my year motor...but when i got it the arbor was to big for my bearings..and the plate didnt line up with all 4 screws ,just the top 2 lined up...the bottom 2 looked like they were drilled wrong...off to an angle..wasnt impressed at all..sent it back...then had to scramble for a puller..thats when i found the harbor freight one

Old 06-28-2019, 12:17 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
I used a $100 HF 12 Ton press to remove and replace all the engine case bearings, cam-plate bearings, and the inner primary bearing. Since I already had the clutch basket and compensator off, it did not take much more time to take off the rotor and pull off the inner primary cover to change the bearing. I cut the walked-in race off and I borrowed a George's Garage inner race tool to install a new one. Unlike the specialized tool, a press also has lots of other uses.
+1 on the HF press....that’s what I used to replace mine with the Baker bearing that does away with the race.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:38 AM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
You could go super cheap and use a couple big sockets and some threaded rod , washers and nuts. I used I little shop press to do mine but I made a wheel bearing tool using a couple pieces of pipe, threaded rod, nuts and washers. Lots of options. Heartland sells a cheaper version of the tool as well.
That is how I do it. With some uni strut to spread weight across when I need to. Though last time I found this big hunk of metal lying around and saved that. Sharpied socket sizes on it.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:00 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Another option is the "Primary Bearing Remover & Installer" from Georges Garage.

https://www.georges-garage.com/produ...ver-installer/

I have this tool and I've used it on both my 1993 & 2011. On a late model bike, you'll need to also use a socket (I used a 1-3/16" impact socket) to remove the bearing since the kit doesn't contain the late model pilots like the Jims #729 kit does. Once you see the kit, you'll figure out how to make it work.

Quick Reply: Inner primary Bearing tool