Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remember when you guys told me to check my fairing mounts??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019 | 09:33 PM
internet troll
|
Road Master
Default Remember when you guys told me to check my fairing mounts??

I posted a few weeks ago about excessive fairing vibration.
I opened the fairing and took a quick look, I didnt see any cracks and assumed it was the motor mount.
So.....I spent 30 bucks on a DS motor mount.
The shaking got worse.
One day while driving home, I heard a metallic POP. The shaking turned into a rattle.
The day before, I paid the 100 bucks for a glide-pro motor mount, assuming this well reviewed product would be the end of all my problems. I installed the mount and the rattle was still there. As I rode around the neighborhood 'settling' the new mount, I grabbed the fairing and pulled it to me....rattling stopped.
I opened the fairing again and saw the fairing mount, left side, was clearly cracked. How the hell had I missed this 3 weeks ago? Upon further examination, I can see that 3/4 of the cracked off tab is well oxidized and 1/4 is still shiny and new. The paint had separated and the metal cracked underneath. The last 1/4 shiny portion was all that was left connected until the other afternoon, but I couldnt see it.

I spent most of last night fabbing up a repair bracket with some welding bar stock and whatever screws I had in the house. Its a little bubba, but its hidden and it works. Its now 1000% more solid. Now that the entire front end isnt spazzing at 1000 rpm, I can come out of 1st gear much easier too.

I can tell you that the glide-pro mount doesnt feel much smoother at idle, but the overall ride is much smoother. I may have to go back and tweak things a bit, but holy jeebus I wish I had examined those fairing mounts a little more before I went chasing motor mounts.

(As for the glidepro- while I dont feel my idle vibrations have been lessened, I can say that overall highway driving is much more pleasant. Far less buzzing and throbbing. )