Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolt size and bit size chart

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:09 PM
FLHTKCU
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default bolt size and bit size chart

Hi
After I read a response to the post about Derby Cover bolt size that said: "When removing the Torx bolts, use a T27 bit. Many use a T25 and strip the bolt."
I wonder if there is a chart or something that shows all the sizes of bolt and screws.
When I take something my my bike, I write the tool size and bolt/screw size in the manual.
Its hard to pick the right sixe when different torx bits will fit. and Allen head wrenches.

mike

Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

The parts manual for your bike lists all the bolt part numbers in each respective area of the bike. In the back of the parts manual all the part numbers for the bolts are listed numerically with their respective sizes.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,273 Likes on 4,442 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
The parts manual for your bike lists all the bolt part numbers in each respective area of the bike. In the back of the parts manual all the part numbers for the bolts are listed numerically with their respective sizes.
This is all true..... but .....

The "hardware List" in the parts manual will say something like: "1/4-20 x 5/8 torx button hd". It won't say "use T27 bit". I think the OP is looking for a list of proper tool sizes needed for the various screws/bolts, to avoid using a T25 on a screw/bolt that needs a T27... I am unaware of any list like that...

OP.... most people use a T25 on a derby screw/bolt because they either don't have a T27, or are too quick while "checking" the fit of the T25 driver.... For example, they check the T25 and it fits loosely, but their next size Torx is a T30 and it doesn't fit... so they assume the T25 is the proper size. Or, the bolt head is a little dirty and they mistakenly believe the T25 is fitting snugly. It happens with allen wrench size use also...

I would suggest you just take care to fit the proper driver when working on a screw/bolt for the first time and also note things you learn from forums like the derby screws are T27... Then you can make your own chart....

I have a quick reference chart for my 3 bikes, hanging on my parts cabinet door in my garage. It lists things like Tire pressure F & R, Fluid check procedures (ie: on the side stand or upright/ dip stick cap resting on opening or fully seated/ etc),, fluid plug info (size for the socket & allen wrench, and torque spec), etc. I can just give a quick look at the chart when working between my bikes, and know the correct part/tool/procedure... Some a re the same, some are different. I can never remember from bike to bike...

Old 06-10-2019, 01:23 PM
FLHTKCU
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi dawg, hattitude,
Thanks for the replys
I never thought to make a chart, which I will do on a rainy day.
I had a '05 ultra and i always guessing which bit/socket to use
On my new .16 ultra, I started writing it in the book, but it would be easier to look at a chart instead of a dirty page with oil stains
Thanks

Mike

Old 06-10-2019, 02:10 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I did a quick scan in my 2003 Touring maintenance manual in the Primary chain case section and anytime there is any directions to remove or reinstall the cover it clearly instructs to use a T27 TORX drive. This same direction appears many times, difficult to miss when consulting a manual before grabbing a wrench...

Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,316 Likes on 6,755 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Agree.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by FLHTKCU
Hi dawg, hattitude,
Thanks for the replys
I never thought to make a chart, which I will do on a rainy day.
I had a '05 ultra and i always guessing which bit/socket to use
On my new .16 ultra, I started writing it in the book, but it would be easier to look at a chart instead of a dirty page with oil stains
Thanks

Mike
Mike, you already have all you need to know! The one tool that catches owners out is that darned T27, mainly because it doesn't come in many kits of Torx bits. Now you know that you can relax! We'll be here if there is a next time....

Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Cpl Ed
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
I did a quick scan in my 2003 Touring maintenance manual in the Primary chain case section and anytime there is any directions to remove or reinstall the cover it clearly instructs to use a T27 TORX drive. This same direction appears many times, difficult to miss when consulting a manual before grabbing a wrench...
Same in my 2004 manual under Primary Chaincase Lubrication: "Using a T27 Torx drive head, remove 5 screws" etc.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

That T25 vs. T27 can be a real problem for the newby mechanic. I think it's a mistake to have two fasteners sized so close. On top of that some Torx tools sets don't include a T27, or at least the earlier sets didn't. Unfortunately the T25 when inserted into a T27 bolt head can get just enough grip to foul up the female opening.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,273 Likes on 4,442 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Originally Posted by Cpl Ed
Same in my 2004 manual under Primary Chaincase Lubrication: "Using a T27 Torx drive head, remove 5 screws" etc.

Good reminder....

I knew the derby cover was a T27, and I only checked my Service Manual for torque values when working on the derby cover, until I made my cheat sheet... I never noticed this before.

Or perhaps, many years ago, I learned it's a T27 from my Service Manual and just forgot it was in there...

In any case, good info....!!