Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC 88 upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Dynatec Ignition Control Module

Originally Posted by hattitude
You didn't mention if he is going to go with a different ignition module to adjust timing curves. The OEM HD timing will support those cams, but for optimum performance, he may want to eventually go with a Dynatec TC88-3 ignition module.

As far as carbs go... here's my opinion...

The Mikuni carb was the go to carb, to replace the old Keihin butterfly carbs in the older HD motorcycles. ..

In 1989ish, HD introduced the Keihin CV40 carb with the accelerator pump. The first year CV40 Carbs didn't have it, but I believe they quickly added the accelerator pump on the CV40 the following year .... this CV40 carb has been under appreciated because of the reputation of the older butterfly Keihin carbs.

Don't get me wrong, the Mikuni is a better carb, and infinitely tunable..... But it's more $$$$$$.

IMHO..... If he invested the same time, and less money, on rebuilding and/or tuning the CV40 carb... he will have a good, dependable carb that will handle the mods he's considering.

The CV40 carbs are easy to rebuild (if needed) easy to tune, and CV Performance can supply all the parts. If he has the OEM 45/190 jets, he may be OK with a different needle, or a size up on one or both of the jets. The best way to know for sure is to go through the tuning procedure and follow the recommendations for when to increase the jet size.

Have him do some reading, and watch the videos on the CV Performance website. There's some really good information about the CV40 carbs on their website...

https://cv-performance.com/instructions-guides
On my '04 carb'd Fatty I did mild cams, pipes, CV carb kit but was never really satisfied - it ran ok but not what I expected. I gave Dyna
a call and spoke to their tech adviser and was told that because my bike was a CA model their ignition module would help performance
a lot. I installed it with their suggested starting curve and wow - best $300 I ever spent on that bike. I did mess around with various
ignition curves but never found one that worked better than the 1st one.

The following users liked this post:
Iron Chief (04-01-2024)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:10 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
On my '04 carb'd Fatty I did mild cams, pipes, CV carb kit but was never really satisfied - it ran ok but not what I expected. I gave Dyna
a call and spoke to their tech adviser and was told that because my bike was a CA model their ignition module would help performance
a lot. I installed it with their suggested starting curve and wow - best $300 I ever spent on that bike. I did mess around with various
ignition curves but never found one that worked better than the 1st one.

Good to hear....

I'm getting ready to replace the tensioners on an '01 Springer w/carb, that I bought about a year ago. Obviously, since I have the sickness, I'll be doing at least cams, if not big bore, at that time also. I was thinking of the Twin Tec ignition module, but recently read some really good things about the DynaTec ignition module... I was thinking of giving it a try

Thanks for posting feedback on their unit....

Old 06-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

S&S 509 cams instead of the 510's. My brother has the 510's and they don't come in until around 3500, unless you just have to have a lopy cam like my brother

Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts
Default HD 2001 valve springs

Originally Posted by hattitude
Good to hear....

I'm getting ready to replace the tensioners on an '01 Springer w/carb, that I bought about a year ago. Obviously, since I have the sickness, I'll be doing at least cams, if not big bore, at that time also. I was thinking of the Twin Tec ignition module, but recently read some really good things about the DynaTec ignition module... I was thinking of giving it a try

Thanks for posting feedback on their unit....
In your 2001 valve springs are a limiting factor so be careful on valve lift. Back in the day I've ran both Andrews 37B's and HD's 204's -
about the same overall and pull down low too.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:35 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,815 Likes on 2,546 Posts

On my 02 Dyna TC88 I did the following, 95" kit , 203 cams, S/E hybrid cam plate (improved oil pump). Then on my carb not much, removed the A/F mix screw plug , screw it out about 2 1/2 turns and with the needle raised it with two #4 brass washers, the jets stayed the same. Raising the needle helps to avoid the lean carb fart. This was done so many years ago and nary a problem. He would have to learn a new cool weather start procedure and in warm weather a couple of twists on the throttle then start it up.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:08 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
In your 2001 valve springs are a limiting factor so be careful on valve lift. Back in the day I've ran both Andrews 37B's and HD's 204's -
about the same overall and pull down low too.

Roger that... appreciate the heads up..

My '03 has a 95ci big bore, and when I fixed the tensioners I went with the '07+ cam plate upgrade and Andrews 26 conversion cams... it's EFI and runs great!!

If I keep the '01 at 88ci, I'll probably go with Andrews 21 conversion cams....

Old 06-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Scootertrash60
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
I wouldn't spend any money on a CV carb, honestly. Put on a Mikuni HSR42 and it will really make a noticeable difference. Well worth the money.
He's on a budget, so he won't be going with the Mikuni. I'll be retuning the CV.

I've had enough trouble talking him out of "budget" parts and kits to replace the quality parts I'm pointing him towards as it is. Som e people have a very hard time comprehending "You get what you pay for", which I feel is a very important line of thinking when it comes to engine internals.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Scootertrash60
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
S&S 509 cams instead of the 510's. My brother has the 510's and they don't come in until around 3500, unless you just have to have a lopy cam like my brother
I was reading another thread about the 509 cams yesterday, and I've told him I'd do more research before he orders the cam set. It seems like they'd be the better choice for his bike, Thanks for the input!

Old 06-15-2019, 03:37 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootertrash60
I was reading another thread about the 509 cams yesterday, and I've told him I'd do more research before he orders the cam set. It seems like they'd be the better choice for his bike, Thanks for the input!
My 509c cams are shipping as we speak. I won't be able to install them until the end of the month to let you know how they work though. I trust the person that recommended them though and from looking at the charts they look like they're going to suit my riding perfectly.

The following 2 users liked this post by LazySundays:
lightweight bob (06-17-2019), Scootertrash60 (08-11-2019)