Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky brake I知 at my wits end

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019 | 12:01 PM
Electra90
|
Intermediate
Default Sticky brake I知 at my wits end

Hello everyone

i have a 1990 Electra glide with a rear sticking brake , caliper has been rebuilt , master has been rebuilt , braided hose , brand new pads and disc and it still sticks ....please help

Old 06-06-2019 | 12:32 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

If the piston in the master cylinder cannot fully retract, it cannot release the line pressure and vent the line to the reservoir. If it doesn't do this, the brakes will drag, the caliper heat up, fluid expands/boils, and the brakes self energize until fade. Make sure your pedal/rod are free to fully return.

Old 06-06-2019 | 12:41 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

I just went thru this with my 85. there's a very small hole in the master cylinder where the feed line is coming into the cylinder. it may be plugged up. blow it out with an air compressor. it's so small I couldn't even get a strand of wire thru it.

Old 06-06-2019 | 12:58 PM
RedOregon
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force

I'd be looking at the other end too... make sure the lever isn't binding. nothing goofy with the rod that the foot lever pushes, etc...

The following users liked this post:
tgmotoman (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019 | 12:58 PM
Haarley
Road Master

Try changing the brake line. A collapsed brake line will hold pressure in the caliper and not let it retract.

Old 06-06-2019 | 03:35 PM
Electra90
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
If the piston in the master cylinder cannot fully retract, it cannot release the line pressure and vent the line to the reservoir. If it doesn't do this, the brakes will drag, the caliper heat up, fluid expands/boils, and the brakes self energize until fade. Make sure your pedal/rod are free to fully return.
Thanks foxtrapper , master was rebuilt and pedal has play , I can feel the piston retract

Old 06-06-2019 | 03:40 PM
Electra90
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bagga
I just went thru this with my 85. there's a very small hole in the master cylinder where the feed line is coming into the cylinder. it may be plugged up. blow it out with an air compressor. it's so small I couldn't even get a strand of wire thru it.
Thanks Bagga , When we had the master apart that small hole was clear

Old 06-06-2019 | 03:41 PM
Electra90
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Haarley
Try changing the brake line. A collapsed brake line will hold pressure in the caliper and not let it retract.
Thanks Haarley , the line is braided and near new , the one going to reservoir possibly as I haven稚 really looked at that one ?

Old 06-06-2019 | 03:43 PM
Electra90
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RedOregon
I'd be looking at the other end too... make sure the lever isn't binding. nothing goofy with the rod that the foot lever pushes, etc...
Thanks RedOregon , the pedal is loose but we also took it apart and lubed it , rod linkage is all loose also

Old 06-06-2019 | 03:45 PM
Electra90
|
Intermediate

The reservoir has some breather slots on the lid those are also clean and clear , Jesus I知 starting to hate this bike , I have a custom built hardtail from 2011 never once has it given me any issues !!!

Quick Reply: Sticky brake I知 at my wits end