Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHIM Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,798 Likes on 2,372 Posts
Default WHIM Question

I have a WHIM question, but first some background........

I have a new SGS, and my wife rides a Sportster. She's complaining about the lack of communication between us when riding, and while I mostly am OK with that, it would be nice on occasion.

If I install the WHIM, buy the wireless helmet stuff, and set her up as if she were a passenger on my bike, what is the range that I could expect out of this configuration?

Old 06-04-2019, 01:09 PM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

You don't need the WHIM to do that. Sena headsets will work (so will others). Look them up and read about their options. With the rideconnect app, range is not an issue.

The following users liked this post:
702 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

You just need the WHIM if you want to connect to the Boom system. You can connect your phone and other comm systems direct to most good headsets. If you get the Whim you have to get your bike flashed and then only HD branded headsets/helmets will have full function including Stereo. If you want to connect to your bike and have comms with other bikers, get a Harley Audio DIN plug kit and a Sena Freewire instead of the WHIM. If you use a BT4.1 Sena headset with that you should have full functions with the Boom. I have one installed like this and leave in the phone cubby. I ran the Mini USB through the back of the storage box and used the USB for power, no more charging or turning on and off. It stays in the cubby and does what the WHIM is supposed to do.

702 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rocket67
You just need the WHIM if you want to connect to the Boom system. You can connect your phone and other comm systems direct to most good headsets. If you get the Whim you have to get your bike flashed and then only HD branded headsets/helmets will have full function including Stereo. If you want to connect to your bike and have comms with other bikers, get a Harley Audio DIN plug kit and a Sena Freewire instead of the WHIM. If you use a BT4.1 Sena headset with that you should have full functions with the Boom. I have one installed like this and leave in the phone cubby. I ran the Mini USB through the back of the storage box and used the USB for power, no more charging or turning on and off. It stays in the cubby and does what the WHIM is supposed to do.
Where did you mount the DIN plug on your bike? I've been looking at that, but I'm not fond of glueing it to the tank. Seems like the cleanest option would be to drill a hole in the dash.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
Where did you mount the DIN plug on your bike? I've been looking at that, but I'm not fond of glueing it to the tank. Seems like the cleanest option would be to drill a hole in the dash.
Cleanest option is to replace the dash with one made for the Ultra Classic (looks better than the dash for the Limited model). Then it looks factory installed, works like factory installed.

BelchFire (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 AM
ChaseTheRide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If I am reading this right you want to communicate with your wife that is on another bike. Don't waste the money on the WHIM. 2 Sena headset will use blue tooth communication. If you want to connect to your bikes radio get a Sena Free wire. Even though the Harley stamped blue tooth headset are Sena I have heard they do not have the battery life of the Sena branded products.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChaseTheRide
If I am reading this right you want to communicate with your wife that is on another bike. Don't waste the money on the WHIM. 2 Sena headset will use blue tooth communication. If you want to connect to your bikes radio get a Sena Free wire. Even though the Harley stamped blue tooth headset are Sena I have heard they do not have the battery life of the Sena branded products.
My thoughts of using the WHIM were based on gaining the full capability of CarPlay, and be able to communicate with her on her bike. I had the dealer tick the box in the software already and have the CarPlay working for maps/navigation which is all I initially wanted because the Boom navigation really isn't very good. I can also see incoming text messages and phone calls, but can't respond. At first, I didn't care about the phone side of this system, but now that I've been using it more and more, I'm now re-thinking this.

I like the idea of the DIN cable, but at $300 for the fancy console, $250 for the Freewire, and $60 for the DIN cable I'm exploring all options that are out there.

I don't want to hear the stereo through the headset at all. The fairing speakers and stereo system that came on this bike are unbelievably good, and I sometimes wonder if they accidentally installed an amp - it's that good.

In the end, I'm leaning toward doing nothing so I can simply enjoy the ride.

The struggle is real, ha!

Zonktified (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:35 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
I left it behind the fairing, drilled a 1/2" hole in the back of the phone cubby, ran the mini USB cable through a rubber grommet and have the Freewire plug permanently mounted. I also have a USB to 3mm power cord plugged into the USB port, so both power and DIN are plugged into the Freewire permanent. When I power the bike on the Freewire automatically powers on and I never have to charge it. I just leave it in the phone cubby full time. In the pics you can see it next to my garage door opener. Once you get all the cables tied up and moved to the back of the cubby (it's really deep) you can move the Freewire around so that you can access the button or in my case the button and the garage door opener. Under the fairing I just tied up the cables and stuck them in the cavity next to the radio. Nothing is really clean under the fairing but I did the best I could with the myriad of wiring under there.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 06-05-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Zonktified (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rocket67
I left it behind the fairing, drilled a 1/2" hole in the back of the phone cubby, ran the mini USB cable through a rubber grommet and have the Freewire plug permanently mounted. I also have a USB to 3mm power cord plugged into the USB port, so both power and DIN are plugged into the Freewire permanent. When I power the bike on the Freewire automatically powers on and I never have to charge it. I just leave it in the phone cubby full time. In the pics you can see it next to my garage door opener. Once you get all the cables tied up and moved to the back of the cubby (it's really deep) you can move the Freewire around so that you can access the button or in my case the button and the garage door opener. Under the fairing I just tied up the cables and stuck them in the cavity next to the radio. Nothing is really clean under the fairing but I did the best I could with the myriad of wiring under there

OK, got it - thanks for the info.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
OK, got it - thanks for the info.
No problem. I am glad to share as this is not a typical or widely known solution to the WHIM debacle. As long as you have a Bluetooth 4.1 headset this works like a plugged in headset. I get stereo on my non HD headset as well.

I plan on testing the Cardo system with the JBL speakers soon, there is question on whether or not it will connect to the Freewire, I hope it does so I can get it. Now that I can use a headset to listen to the XM Radio I really love having the option and would like better speakers.

Quick Reply: WHIM Question