Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinions on an Ultral Limited Low Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:11 AM
tpb857
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks all. I see if I can go take it for a ride if I get some time today.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:05 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

I just turned 77, weigh in at 155 and am 5'-5 and shrinking. After a little over a year on my '18 Heritage which I love, I opted to move up to a touring bike but kept the Heritage also. Enjoy riding both but for different conditions.

I looked at the ULL but decided to go with a '19 SGS. The ULL just had too much stuff I did not need or want and it was another 100+ lbs heavier than the SGS. Of course I did have to have the SGS lowered and have added a lot of goodies so I may be back close to the weight of the ULL, but their my goodies. There is one major benefit of lowering the SGS. That was, since I did not change the kick stand the bike sits a little straighter up then normal when on the stand, which makes it easier to pick up, even with my S.O. on the back.

Yes the SGS is heavier than the Heritage, but I don't find it any more difficult to handle even at relatively slow speeds. Just got to be a little more positive and need more practice with my slow speed manuvering. IMHO, the SGS is definately a much more stable and comfortable platform for longer rides.

The one thing I did do that makes it very rideable for me was to put a Reversing Pully on it so I don't have to worry about where I park. With my short legs I can not back up this bike on any kind of incline, even a very slight one. I even have difficlty backing my Heritage up and sometimes will need help if I get stuck someplace. The reversing pully will go up an incline of 15% if needed.

Got to do what you got to do. You may be happier with a SG or RG than a ULL.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:29 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a Ultra Limited Low, 2019 model. I wasn't actually looking for one but was having a very hard time finding my bike, so when I came across this one at Killer Creek HD in Ga. I struck the deal on the phone and went and picked Ole Gray up.
Now with all that having been said, I love the bike. It came with the reach Bars and I've had them on my last 4 bike which included this one. It has a piece on the kickstand which is cool and sits about 1 inch lower. The bike handles great and the ride with the new shocks is pretty dog gone good.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Someone mentioned the Goldwing 2018 as an alternative. That bike is about the same weight as a Harley Road King. The new Goldwing has shed about 100 lbs. Plus, it has that reverse. It also has the DCT model, which has no clutch lever. It is the automatic tranny like your car. ABS is standard, as is Car Play, and you don't have to buy a WHIM as its not needed on the Goldwing. The interface is built into the bike already. Just pair up the Bluetooth headset and you are good to go.

I really wish Harley would look at building a Touring Bike for the older riders...meaning those 50 and over. A reverse would be nice, but you need a certain amount of strength to BALANCE the bike with your legs, so a "reverse" only goes so far to cure the problem of a diminishing leg strength of older riders. Heck, who knows, that ma even be something younger folks would like too. Not to mention female riders.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:23 PM
Tutorman883
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miner999r
Hi. Have you looked at the motorcycle landing gear option to help with low speed / parking maneuvering? I don't know much about them but you can google the device. Buy new or used maybe. Here is the web address: https://www.landingear.com/

Another option is (people gonna hate me for it but...) a honda goldwing. The centre of gravity is lower and although they are just as heavy if not more, they are much easier to handle and you gotta love the reverse gear. Super reliable just like a well maintained Harley. A surprisingly nice ride and prior to 2018 were built in the USA. Also on a longer ride significantly less fatiguing, part from the handling and part from much less noise.

I have an ultra classic and a 05 wing. I like both but I don't want to be without a Harley because it has a higher fun factor.
I have a 2015 Ultra limited Low.
I got it last May. I've had an ankle problems since hitting a deer on my sportster at 60mph 5 years ago. The only time I've had problems holding the bike up is when the wife is on the back. I'm 5'9 and 195 lbs. and I just turned 62. the wife is around 175 lbs.
I thought I'd give the Landing Gear a try.
I installed it myself and It was not to hard, Instructions are very good.
So far usage wise , I'm sceptical about it. And their is a definitely a learning curve to it. I had it adjusted to long and the dam thing folded up turning around in a parking lot twice. So I don't trust it much.
I probably should wright a full review on it as it has been a bit of a challenge since I installed it. I just didn't want to hear all the criticisms like "just quit riding old man " or "Go buy a Honda Rebel"
I'm not done riding yet and I Love my Ultra , So you might as well save your negative comments about my lack of riding skills, Cause ya your probably right. Anyway the Landing gear, well It's NOT for everyone that's for sure.
It's been delegated parking lot use only. Great for Full lock U turns and backing up. And it's Cheaper than Trike or a Trike conversion Kit.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

[QUOTE=Tutorman883;18320804]I have a 2015 Ultra limited Low.
I
I thought I'd give the Landing Gear a try.
I installed it myself and It was not to hard, Instructions are very good.
So far usage wise , I'm sceptical about it. And their is a definitely a learning curve to it. I had it adjusted to long and the dam thing folded up turning around in a parking lot twice. So I don't trust it much.
I probably should wright a full review on it as it has been a bit of a challenge since I installed it. I just didn't want to hear all the criticisms like "just quit riding old man " or "Go buy a Honda Rebel"
I'm not done riding yet and I Love my Ultra , So you might as well save your negative comments about my lack of riding skills, Cause ya your probably right. Anyway the Landing gear, well It's NOT for everyone that's for sure.
I\
Good for you and please post some videos and other detailed review, ignore anyone with bigger ***** and I'm sure some of us will be interested in near future.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tpb857
Old age has caught up to me. With hip and knee replacements I had to sell my CVO limited as it got to be a little too much for me. That leaves me with a 2018 Fat Boy, which I don't like the way it handles on the country roads. I can get a low mileage 2015 Ultra Limited Low at a good price. Any downsides to this bike as I have seen a few pretty differing reviews. I guess my size matters. I'm 5'11" and 210 pounds. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

I test rode one in Sturgis last year, I actually hated it. I was amazed at how much that one inch disrupted the suspension. It was harsh, to say the least. I am exactly your size and 64 years old. My Ultra is getting way to heavy for me. In my opinion, you will hate the Ultra low. I had a Road King years ago, best bike I ever had, seemingly half the weight of the Ultra and twice the fun, and easier to get on and off.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Someone mentioned the Goldwing 2018 as an alternative. That bike is about the same weight as a Harley Road King. The new Goldwing has shed about 100 lbs. Plus, it has that reverse. It also has the DCT model, which has no clutch lever. It is the automatic tranny like your car. ABS is standard, as is Car Play, and you don't have to buy a WHIM as its not needed on the Goldwing. The interface is built into the bike already. Just pair up the Bluetooth headset and you are good to go.

I really wish Harley would look at building a Touring Bike for the older riders...meaning those 50 and over. A reverse would be nice, but you need a certain amount of strength to BALANCE the bike with your legs, so a "reverse" only goes so far to cure the problem of a diminishing leg strength of older riders. Heck, who knows, that ma even be something younger folks would like too. Not to mention female riders.
Don't test ride a new Goldwing unless you are prepared to purchase it, for you will go home depressed.I have ridden dozens of bikes, it is incredible.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:49 PM
sixgun95
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Im 5'5" and have a 15' limited Low. Best bike I have ever had - fits like a glove! Previously owned a Ultra Classic; had to change shocks; seats; bars and cables, then it fit, about $2k later, get the Low and you'll be happy!