Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help testing a SG/RG tail light

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Help testing a SG/RG tail light

So I bought a 2018 RG rear fender to put on my 2015 Police Road King.

Should be plug and play as far as i can tell.

Good news = i have running lights in the tri bar and the bullets. I have left and right blinkers.
bad news = I have no brake lights.

I had to source a used wire harness which seems to be fine. I even ripped it open to inspect the wires as well as checking for continuity from connector to connector.

I honestly suck at most things electrical but it makes sense to me that the tail light is dead.

anyone know how I can actually test and prove the tribar tail light bad? Anyone willing to meet a poor bastard in the Eastern Massachusetts area to prove the tail light good or bad on their 14-2019 touring bike? (there is DEFINITELY beer in it for the generous soul)

edit......to ask....the tribar tail light SHOULD act as a brake light AND running light correct?

Last edited by Toe Knee; 05-22-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:00 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 872 Likes on 515 Posts

If you are referring to the light at the bottom of the fender it does not function as a brake light only running. HD and custom Dynamics make replacement unit that do also function as brake lights.

The following users liked this post:
Toe Knee (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master

thank you!

so it's a pass through. Main harness into the tri bar running light-then from the tri bar out to the bullets. should be easy peasy.

I took the bullets off the fender, pealed back the sheathing to visually inspect and it all looks good. The bulbs look fine. put everything back on the bike and still no go. I did the wiggle test on all connectors and wires.

It comes down to me needing to prove out the tribar light i guess. that AND the rear harness.

Last edited by Toe Knee; 05-22-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Custom Dynamics
Sponsor
Received 245 Likes on 142 Posts

Like @NODYNA says, the stock TriBar is just a running light, not a brake light. If you put our ProBEAM TriBar in, it will be a running and brake light.
https://www.customdynamics.com/probe...ar-bcm?cat=120

The reason you aren't getting brakes on your bullets is because they are powered by your run circuit, and your turn signal circuit. On the 2018 Road Glide, the BCM is programmed to put brake function and turn signal function on the rear turn signal circuit. But on your 2015 Road King Police, you have a turn-only circuit from the BCM. You can have your BCM flashed at the dealer to get brake on your turn signal circuit, which will allow your rear bullets to be run/brake/turn.

sales@customdynamics.com
https://www.customdynamics.com
http://blog.customdynamics.com

Review Custom Dynamics
Phone: 800-382-1388
Toe Knee (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master

Thank you Custom Dynamics!!!!

I changed out the Tribar to the HD brake light version that's what was available right away. I and am now getting brake lights from all three lights when the bike is not running.....but when I run the bike, i loose the brake lights and get codes 62151 62161 62164 ....I'm assuming that it's because the dealer needs to flash the bcm?

BTW, I saw your products at the dealer today and am going to go with them all around.....well, as soon as I get this sorted out.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Custom Dynamics
Sponsor

Interesting. That may be due to the Harley TriBar; I would definitely consult with the dealer to see why those codes are getting thrown.

Sounds like a plan!

Toe Knee (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master

So I was able to get to my local dealer real quick. They were scratching their heads because all was good unless the bike was actually running. They did the flash and cleared the codes. It's fine now. (only charged me 26 bucks)

I'm wondering if I go with bullets only upfront and then go with your led bullets all around if I'll need a flash again.

What caught my eye earlier today was your product that's a bright white running light and a blinker combined. Badass.

Anyway, I'm grateful you chimed in...I think i would have been spinning my wheels if not.

Last edited by Toe Knee; 05-23-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:44 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master

Got it done...work in progress...thanks!

Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Custom Dynamics
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
So I was able to get to my local dealer real quick. They were scratching their heads because all was good unless the bike was actually running. They did the flash and cleared the codes. It's fine now. (only charged me 26 bucks)

I'm wondering if I go with bullets only upfront and then go with your led bullets all around if I'll need a flash again.

What caught my eye earlier today was your product that's a bright white running light and a blinker combined. Badass.

Anyway, I'm grateful you chimed in...I think i would have been spinning my wheels if not.
You're very welcome! Bike looks great, by the way. Love the exhaust.

You shouldn't need anything flashed, but you will want to run your hazards for a couple of minutes after installing the new turn signal inserts. This will allow the bike to sync to the new signals.

I would check out the ProBEAM Dynamics Ringz, or ProBEAM Dynamic Ringz with Flat Bezels. Same light, but one has a chrome or black housing.

Dynamic Ringz: https://www.customdynamics.com/flat-...lenses?cat=820
Flat Bezel Dynamic Ringz: https://www.customdynamics.com/categ...l-turn-signals

Toe Knee (05-25-2019)