Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please check this out

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 PM
charrell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please check this out

I'm attaching an estimate for a 103 build. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if it looks right? It looks like I am getting double-charged for the cam.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Please check this out

Don't see whar yer bein' charged but once fer the cams, unless ah'm missin' sumthin'. Kinda hard ta tell with the .jpg's bein' so small....

Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
charrell
Advanced

I apologize. I know it's small. The first page has the cam and second page has a gear drive. Is that something separate that does not come with the gear drive cam?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. The one is for the gears and the other is for the .575 cams. Not trying to open up a can O worms here, but I will.Why would you buy them heads that have the notorious SE waytoo big valves in theheads,when you could get a Kick AZZ set from HQ for about the same price and run circles around them SE heads? This is just my opinion. And that is a ton of money to spend for 103" []

Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 AM
charrell
Advanced

It does seem awfully pricey. What would you suggest besides the HQ heads or a 103. I don't want to get too radical. I ride her everyday and I would eventually like to take long trips.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Ah...gotcha - no need to apologize - heck, I wuz jest lettin' ya know why ah wuz mebbe not seein' sumthin'. As Bryan observed, those are 2 separate components. Ah'll bow ta him re. costs & engine components - ain't been back on HD's long 'nuff ta even BEGIN ta offer input in that respect!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: charrell

I apologize. I know it's small. The first page has the cam and second page has a gear drive. Is that something separate that does not come with the gear drive cam?
I put the S&S 510 gear drive cams in my 99 last fall. The whole kit from Dennis Kirk was $665.00 for the cams, gears, bearings, gaskets so your on par with that. I also put in new lifters, not one to reuse old parts with new. I also did the new adjustable push rods and tubes. When it was all said and done, was a little under a grand, but no labor, I'm a gear head, and like to turn wrenches.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: charrell

It does seem awfully pricey. What would you suggest besides the HQ heads or a 103. I don't want to get too radical. I ride her everyday and I would eventually like to take long trips.
The HQ heads aren't radical, they just plain work, especially for steet use. The SE heads use vlaves that are too big for how most of us ride on the street. Now for all out power top end drag strip they would be good, I guess. Not all power is measured in Big. If that makes sense to you, if not I could try to splain it. Big is good up to a certain point then you go backwards. See it all has to work together, anddo what you want it to do, not what theywantit to do.Man too many brews at this point, I better stop while I'm a head.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

I have had mix and match parts is parts motors in the past. For everyday and for long trips.
All I can really say is what has happened to me on more than once.
While on the road, HD shops really don't know what to do for a mixed bag o'parts.
Hard enough to find a dependable shop to touch your bike.

I have a 1997 Heritage Springer mix and match, love it, hard to get HD and after market add on parts to fit sometimes too.

I also have a 2003 Ultra with the 103 kit, pretty basic motor with HD screamin Eagle parts, lots of chrome HD, Kury and othername brands as well asrineharts true duals.

I love to ride long distance and I do. I've broke down with my Ultra and haven't had a problem getting a HD shop to work on it. I'm national HOG member with the service warranty andthe tow package as well as AAA RV Plus.

I must say that the Head Quarters tip given above is a good tip. They make and machine Top Quality parts and will put together for you a kit to fit your liking as well as your wallet. The only bad point is, if you like to go on road trips, it's hard to find a shop that will work on your bike. Privately owned shops on the road are a real guess and go. Some are truly amazingly honest and great machanics while other are just waiting for you to come along.

chappy

Old 07-10-2007, 12:33 AM
PA SILVERBACK
Tourer

Don't Forget,Since Your gonna go with the big heads, Change your FI to the 50mm.....You'll only run half of What the motor is capable of without it.....Don't get me wrong, It'll still run good, But not to full potential....No sense of spending 4k on a motor, And only useing $2500 of it ...

Buddy just built the same motor, And has the same anount into it..