Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can you tell me about Natchez Trace Parkway?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:01 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts
Default What can you tell me about Natchez Trace Parkway?

I need to rethink my Memorial Day road trip. We were planning to ride up to Toronto via the NY Finger Lakes, but I still did not get my Passport renewal back.

So I started digging looking for good rides and stumbled across this on National Geographic’s 10 best rides list. I have never heard of it before.

Also thinking of doing the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I usually steer away from it as its not too far from me. Thats more of a one overnight kind of destination for us, but still have never ridden it since we usually like to run further than that. If we choose that, will probably go to Nashville for a night or 2 as well.

Also open to suggestions on rides and destinations that we can do in 5 days round trip from Western PA.

We absolutely LOVED the black Hills and Wyoming with all of the wild life, but doubt we would be able to find something like that here in the east.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 05-13-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,346 Likes on 616 Posts

It's a slow cruise, speed limit is 50mph. It goes 444 miles from Natchez to Nashville with no stops. Places of interest along the way Nashville, Tupelo, Vicksburg(not to far off), Lorman/ rodney, Natchez. Camping spots and ghost towns indian mounds and other sites in between

Lots and lots of deer to watch out for

The following 2 users liked this post by rhino1250:
J2X (05-15-2019), s-glide76 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:27 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
It's a slow cruise, speed limit is 50mph. It goes 444 miles from Natchez to Nashville with no stops. Places of interest along the way Nashville, Tupelo, Vicksburg(not to far off), Lorman/ rodney, Natchez. Camping spots and ghost towns indian mounds and other sites in between

Lots and lots of deer to watch out for
Also you will get a Federal speeding ticket if caught speeding.

The following users liked this post:
J2X (05-15-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:35 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Everyone should do it once given the opportunity but I'll say, and not trying to he harsh, it's boring. Literally nothing to see for hundreds of miles. It's a nice slow drive covered by trees mostly if that's your thing.

The Blue Ridge on the other hand is fantastic, especially from Boone NC down to Cherokee.
If you have the time, do the whole thing including skyline drive... if you go the speed limit and stop at the little places along the way it will take days, like 3 or 4.

Last edited by lp; 05-13-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:47 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Make a stop for tee shirts.https://www.natcheztraceharley.com/
The GM is a friend of mine, good store.
In the area, pick up some Tupelo honey.
Dealership is also not far from "The Coon Dog Cemetery". Interesting stop.
Bring plenty of water, that ride gets dry and hot this time of year. No signs, get familiar with the exits before you ride.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Probably the most boring road I have ever been on.

The following users liked this post:
Cowboy Rob (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 PM
JerseyT
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been riding for over 50 years all over North America and Europe. Without a doubt the Natchez Trace Parkway is THE most boring road I've ever been on. The speed limit is sections is 40 mph and the Parkway Police are only too happy to stop you for chat. I'd rather spend the ride time watching paint dry than ever ride the Natchez Trace again.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Everyone should do it once given the opportunity but I'll say, and not trying to he harsh, it's boring. Literally nothing to see for hundreds of miles. It's a nice slow drive covered by trees mostly if that's your thing.

The Blue Ridge on the other hand is fantastic, especially from Boone NC down to Cherokee.
If you have the time, do the whole thing including skyline drive... if you go the speed limit and stop at the little places along the way it will take days, like 3 or 4.
Alrighty then! (In an ace ventura kinda voice, LOL)

I nixed that idea. . . Gonna do the Rt 50 (George Washington Highway from Grafton over to Afton, spend the night, and run the Blue Ridge down to Gatlinburg, Stay 2 nights, and head back home on the super slab. It will be approx 1300 miles, plus we will do a day ride in the smokies. (Just gotta find a cool run that we haven’t done before.)

Not planning to do Skyline, will hit that up on a day ride (Maybe 2) sometime this summer to get it off the bucket list, LOL

I booked my rooms and am all set to roll, just hope we have some good weather.

Here is a picture of my route.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:15 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by greezey rider
probably the most boring road i have ever been on.
this^^^^^^

Old 05-14-2019, 05:54 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry you didn't check these out:
www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm
See Map 4. Nashville to Alabama state line 336-444 milepostsh8ps://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/upload/NATRmap_336_444_web-2.pdf **Speed limit on the Trace is 50 MPH**

Natchez Trace Top 30 Favorite Sites: https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/types-of-trace-stops/natchez-trace-favorites.html

Knowing a little of the history of the Trace makes it interesting.

Yes their are parts of the Trace that are boring but you don't half to ride the entire rout, The Nashville to Alabama area it some of the best.

KenK

Quick Reply: What can you tell me about Natchez Trace Parkway?