Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong exhaust gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:19 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Wrong exhaust gasket??

This is my first time installing exhaust. First time replacing gaskets. I had heard that these Rinehart true duals should be used with the S.E. gasket. I told the girl at the parts counter that I needed eye S.E. exhaust gaskets.

2005 Ultra Classic.

I get home and this is what I’ve got.

Seems like they are much thicker than what I thought the S.E. gasket was. In pictures and ideas it seems like a thin, flat band.

Does the thickness of this gasket compensate for the smaller diameter? Will it smash and expand, or is it the wrong damn part?

Thsnks for any help.

Part number 65900011

Seems like I remember other SE. exhaust gaskets I’ve seen are much thinner than this..

Too small, or will it get smashed and expand?

Harley part number. Anyone know of a fitment list for this part?

Old 05-05-2019, 02:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

17048-98 is the pn for SE exhaust gaskets.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

I have the same exhaust and I used the tapered gaskets from harley...not sure if they were the screamin eagle type or stock but I have no exhaust leaks. They are however a royal pain in the *** to get them lol.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:03 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

According to HD, the thin ones are for performance pipes and are not fitted in like the thick ones and they are supposed to improve flow.

Whenever I ask for exhaust gaskets at the local dealer, they always give me the thick ones and I never gave it another thought. Maybe I should try the SE performance ones on this engine with these Rineharts next time I have them off...

Old 05-05-2019, 05:30 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

I've had better luck with the standard gaskets on my V&H True Duals. Put the gaskets in the freezer for a few hours before installing, if you can. I also use a 1 3/16" socket to seat them in the ports.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:16 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Unless I hear from somebody on what exactly these gaskets are, I’ll go next week and get some OEM ones. I would like to have had the pipes installed today. Oh well.
Dies the picture show how small diameter those gaskets are? I took the picture, so I see it well, but other s may not.

I would think that any gasket design would fit tighter than that. I wonder if it is for a different engine. There is almost ⅛” gap between outside of gasket and the exhaust port wall.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:24 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Those gaskets are usually a super tight fit. As was said above, freezing them is recommended. Something doesn't look right.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:08 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm installing a fuel moto pipe...I pulled the heads an had them freshened up....the guy that did the heads recommended I use some of the thinner aftermarket ones so they don't squish an block flow. I ordered James an when I got them they look pretty small. I might have to get another set an use 2 per port.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:41 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

Take them back & tell the dealer they need someone in parts that knows their a$$ from a hole in the ground, those are exhaust gaskets for a "Street", probably why they came from India!

Old 05-06-2019, 07:51 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
Unless I hear from somebody on what exactly these gaskets are, I’ll go next week and get some OEM ones. I would like to have had the pipes installed today. Oh well.
Dies the picture show how small diameter those gaskets are? I took the picture, so I see it well, but other s may not.

I would think that any gasket design would fit tighter than that. I wonder if it is for a different engine. There is almost ⅛” gap between outside of gasket and the exhaust port wall.
Those gaskets in the OP's photos are standard HD OEM exhaust flange gaskets. If you walk into any HD dealership and ask for exhaust flange gaskets, that is what they will pull for you. If you ask for Screaming Eagle or performance gaskets, you will get the flat ones. The performance gaskets can be a **** to get some aftermarket pipes to seal, the fat standard ones are more universal. BTDT

Quick Reply: Wrong exhaust gasket??