Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong exhaust gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

I keep using the standard exhaust gaskets. It looks like there is nothing to the SE, not tappered. Maybe there is a reason for this, i am not a gasket pro. Not really sure if you need a high performance gasket on the heads. But like I said maybe a reason.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:27 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I got them in finally. It was a pain in the *** though. Seems like I get to have a fight every step of the way...

I’ve had to weld an Alan to a ½” wrench so I could 90° my torque wrench to get to rockers... grind down another wrench to get to the passing light nut....
nit to mention dropping **** into the black hole behind the starter....
i spend HOURS... and make creeping progress.....

ther being ssid.... I HAVE made progress. All that’s left is finish pipes, abd install outer fairing and oil and it’s time to go!

i hear bikes all day from my shop. Driving me crazy!!

Old 05-07-2019, 05:01 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

1/4 drive ratchet is nice for exhaust bolts on heads.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:17 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,188 Likes on 4,396 Posts

You got the wrong gaskets..... but I see you have already figured that out and corrected the issue.

For future reference...

The Twin Cam engine, OEM exhaust gaskets are #65324-83B. They are thick, with a square side that fits into the head, and a slight conical shape that the head pipe fits into.

They are designed to crush and seal as the header is torqued into the head. They are designed to work best with any header that has a tapered flange/end to the head pipe, that fits into the exhaust port (like this twin Cam OEM head pipe)..

The Screamin Eagle Gaskets are #17048-98. They are 1/2 (maybe less) the thickness of OEM gaskets and are flat and square.

They are also designed to crush (albeit less than OEM) and seal as the header is torqued into the head. They are designed to work best with any header that has a square flange/end to the head pipe that fits into the exhaust port (this is a Buell head pipe for illustration).

Whoever sold you those original gaskets, needs to either pull their head out of their nether regions, and/or actually learn a little bit about the product(s) they are selling....

Good luck with your repair... looks like you are on the downhill side of it.... can't wait to read your report on how it runs when you get it back together...

Last edited by hattitude; 05-07-2019 at 06:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Campy Roadie (05-08-2019), GalvTexGuy (05-08-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 06:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

and then there’s copper crush gaskets

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (05-07-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 05:05 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
You got the wrong gaskets..... but I see you have already figured that out and corrected the issue.

For future reference...

The Twin Cam engine, OEM exhaust gaskets are #65324-83B. They are thick, with a square side that fits into the head, and a slight conical shape that the head pipe fits into.

They are designed to crush and seal as the header is torqued into the head. They are designed to work best with any header that has a tapered flange/end to the head pipe, that fits into the exhaust port (like this twin Cam OEM head pipe)..

The Screamin Eagle Gaskets are #17048-98. They are 1/2 (maybe less) the thickness of OEM gaskets and are flat and square.

They are also designed to crush (albeit less than OEM) and seal as the header is torqued into the head. They are designed to work best with any header that has a square flange/end to the head pipe that fits into the exhaust port (this is a Buell head pipe for illustration).

Whoever sold you those original gaskets, needs to either pull their head out of their nether regions, and/or actually learn a little bit about the product(s) they are selling....

Good luck with your repair... looks like you are on the downhill side of it.... can't wait to read your report on how it runs when you get it back together...
Progress is slow going. If it weren’t for that damn job of mine!! Ha it gets in the way of all my fun....

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:45 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
I got them in finally. It was a pain in the *** though. Seems like I get to have a fight every step of the way...

I’ve had to weld an Alan to a ½” wrench so I could 90° my torque wrench to get to rockers... grind down another wrench to get to the passing light nut....
nit to mention dropping **** into the black hole behind the starter....
i spend HOURS... and make creeping progress.....

ther being ssid.... I HAVE made progress. All that’s left is finish pipes, abd install outer fairing and oil and it’s time to go!

i hear bikes all day from my shop. Driving me crazy!!
It's all this brother that makes the "job well done" so satisfying. When you're scrubbing the grease off your bleeding knuckles and the stream of hot water from the shower head soothes your aching back.............you can remind yourself that you just saved a bunch of $$ and you know the job is done.....right!

Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
It's all this brother that makes the "job well done" so satisfying. When you're scrubbing the grease off your bleeding knuckles and the stream of hot water from the shower head soothes your aching back.............you can remind yourself that you just saved a bunch of $$ and you know the job is done.....right!