Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would leak...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Essthreetee
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Were it me, I’d buy the inner primary gasket kit which includes everything you need to pull the inner primary. While taking it down, I’d check the status of the comp, chain tensioner, shift shaft seal, IPB, race and mainshaft seal and replace as necessary. Especially since you’re the third owner you can get a better look at everything inside if you’ve never been in it.
Ok. So then this adds another several questions. I have pretty good mechanic ability and don’t fear taking apart and putting back together, but I don’t have the knowledge to know what I would be looking at as far as “checking” stuff. I have watched several videos of comp replacement and am very confident I could do that. But how would I know if it is bad? Or the shaft seal? Or the inner primary bearing? Etc.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, just don’t want to throw unnecessary money at it...if I can avoid it.

Thanks in in advance for your help and input.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:44 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Your question is the bane of every new wrench or old wrench in new territory...

What am I looking at, how does it work, what is right, what is wrong, and how will I be able to tell...

There is no one answer. Experience and mechanical ability help, of course, but sometimes you just have to go with your instinct on what looks right and wrong, and if that fails, get help.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:05 PM
Solospec
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Before you start tearing into your bike I would get a factory service manual so everything gets put back together correctly. My bike was dripping from the drain plug but it was actually my inner primary bearing seal. Is it dripping from a certain area? Good luck with finding the leak.

Phil

Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,979 Likes on 4,171 Posts

Once you get the clutch hub off, that huge inner primary roller bearing is visible. Need to turn shaft of course to inspect. When I get this far, I drop rear wheel out, pull cog drive belt fwd off drive cog pulley sprocket. Then you can spin input shaft and fill what transmission fills like. I shift up thru the gears . If they are all smooth, no catches and fill the same, you can assume the main drive gear bearing is ok along with that double row needle bearings on the inner shaft.

Turn the clutch hub around and spin and check condition of ***** and race.

Add a signature line similar to my bike line on year model and letters.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-28-2019 at 01:02 PM.