Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 07:33 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

All of the above is good. How many miles on the starter solenoid? If the disc and/or contacts are getting pitted and carbon coated, the best battery in the world still won't get the max juice to the starter. I recently put the solenoid overhaul kit in mine at about 92,000 miles, have had no slow or stalled cranking since. I made sure the contacts were square with the disc for maximum surface contact. Just one more item in the starting chain of components.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:54 PM
aspiringthomas
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much. It could be the stock starter clutch is not strong enough. I’m wondering if the all ***** starter clutch may be the fix for mine. It turns over fine when it works.

QUOTE=6 gun;18215414]I went threw the same crap, except I went from a 96 to a 103 with a 10.5:1 compression ratio with no compression releases what so ever. If it got a little warm, like a two mile trip down to the store it would not want to start right up. It would finally start after a few tries, and I got so tired of that stinking **** that I bought the black HD 1.4 KW starter.. No more problems after that, https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...w-starter#tabs[/QUOTE]

Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Quote: Will also do this if the bike has been sitting for a day or two .

All of the above is good advice but this indicates a possible low grade, constant electric draw while the bike is turned off. A new starter is the most expensive option, check for an out of tolerance constant load before spending big bucks. Someone else will have to tell you what is acceptable, I don't know, but there are some memories (radio stations, speedometer trip distance, clock that are SMALL constant drains. Any constant load above those should be found and corrected (if they exist) or none of the other stuff will help much.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:23 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

As I posted in another thread a few days ago: In over 40 years of riding Harleys, a '72,a '77, a '78, 2 '83s, a 93, an '06. I've never had a bad Harley starter. I did forget my home built softail chopper,which I got a bad starter [Ultima,from Midwest] but they replaced it for me. Your 'starter' problem ,as has been mentioned,sounds like a starter clutch problem. Maybe a bad bushing, or possibly a mis-alignment in the primary. my current bike has a little over 100k on it,with no starter problems.
Also as mentioned,do some testing on the battery,battery drain,load test, and starter draw, before throwing more parts at it.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:57 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Cranking that build over has got to be heavy duty work for an otherwise stock starter system. That includes the battery. You have an aftermarket battery and that may be a weak point. 2 years on a battery is on the low end of normal life, depending on the battery regardless of manufacturer. I would look over the wires and replace the battery and start there.

I have an 88 to 95 high compression build without compression releases and starting, especially restarting after refueling, is like what you describe sometimes. It was much worse at first and I was thinking wimpy starter because the original aftermarket battery was not that old but after a few rides I had starting problems that ended up being the 3 year old aftermarket battery. Haven't had any problems since, but that is the original starter with a lot of cranks on it...

Old 05-11-2019, 02:17 PM
aspiringthomas
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed

I found that the jack shaft in the primary case had backed out. Tightened and back together and seems to be working good.