Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 02:35 PM
Hauler
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Rotors

In May I bought an 05 Road King with only 9,000 miles. Brand New Bike by my standards. On the test ride it had pulsing front brakes (warped rotor syndrome) that the owner said he'd never noticed. "Whatever" The price was right, and brakes are easy. It has progressed. Before I replace the rotors...Has anyone had rotors go in 9,000 miles? Understanding that it only takes one EVENT to heat up a disc beyond design temp -- I guess it is theoretically possible.

Looking for a first hand experience story.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2019, 02:39 PM
dave grider
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

07 street glide with 83k original frt rotors. maybe orig owner didnt use his front brakes

Old 04-24-2019, 03:08 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have had them warp at 10k and others go way longer. Depends on how hot you get them. The more likely way they get damaged is a careless tire change where someone bangs them into something. They can be straightened somewhat with a dial indicator and a large crescent wrench.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:35 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Warped rotors or, offset calipers?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM
Hauler
Stage IV

"Offset rotors"? I don't know what you mean by that. Can it create the pulsing grab like warped rotors? Is the fix just loosening and retightening calipers? Pads have plenty of life left. Although they are likely the original pads.

I have never had a bike that was ridden so little. 13 years, and It had the original tires, even.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I think what he means by offset calipers is when the wheel is not centered between the calipers. Typically to fix that loosen the front axle and pinch bolts slightly. Roll the bike front and back while applying the front brake and bounce the front end up and down. Then tighten everything back up. This will make sure that things are centered.

If the bike still has the original tires I doubt it's not centered as the wheel was probably never removed. If the tires are 13 years old that should be first on the list to replace before riding it much.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Hauler
"Offset rotors"? I don't know what you mean by that. Can it create the pulsing grab like warped rotors? Is the fix just loosening and retightening calipers? Pads have plenty of life left. Although they are likely the original pads.

I have never had a bike that was ridden so little. 13 years, and It had the original tires, even.
As todd-67 says,you need new tires. and that 'brake pulse' you feel just might be a tire going bad.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 AM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 700 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes, warped rotors will cause pulsing thru the brake lever and will really make you uneasy as you come to a stop from moderate speeds. My new to me bike only has 15K miles on it but the front rotors were warped to hell. They would 'grab' with every full revolution of the tire, squealed loudly and made slow speed stopping feel like I was going to get launched off the bike. I replaced mine with a set of EBC rotors and pads. Ive only got about 15 miles on the new equipment but its a world of difference.

Last edited by internet troll; 04-25-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Hauler
Stage IV

Thanks for that explanation. I'll let you know how the bouncing the front end up and down goes!!

As for the tires. I rode it home (65 miles), rode it to the Colorado Border one night for fun (120 miles), rode it up the mountain here (16 miles). It was BAD. Handled like a brick, and I was scraping metal in the turns on the mountain. Soooo many questions, I had.

First thing were the new tires--definite improvement, but still scraping, and poor handling.
Figured out rear shocks are 10", so 12"+ Öhlins shipped yesterday and should be installed by next weekend.
I have new rotors on the bench in case they're called for (The local shop guy told me the stock rotors are "notorious for warping--poor engineering design". Sales job???)
I'm working on weight gain. At 145# + 7.5 for the Winter jacket, I've been told I should think about concrete in the bags to improve the ride, if the Öhlins don't fix it.

Anything I'm missing? I think I'll like this group.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 AM
Hauler
Stage IV

The one thing about the pulsing that I DON'T have, but have had on other bikes, is I don't feel the pulsing in the brake lever. It is rock steady near as I can tell. Everything else about your description fits to a "T".

Coming to a stop is embarrassing. Can't make it look like I know what I'm doing. And with my size, I already look funny!!

Quick Reply: Front Brake Rotors