Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak or Sissy bar back rest with luggage rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019 | 05:00 PM
Da808popo
|
6th Gear
Default Tour Pak or Sissy bar back rest with luggage rack

So I want to get a back rest for the wife but I am torn between tour pak and sissy bar with back rest. I like the look of the tour pak but I’ve heard that they crack after a couple of years of use. With the sissy bar/backrest I could see it last longer but the backrest doesn’t look as comfortable as the full back rest on a tour pak. Then there’s price. Tour paks with all the hardware can run over $1000 while the sissy bar/backrest a few hundred. Any suggestions or wisdom about the two options I should go with?

Old 04-19-2019 | 05:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Get Detachables and do both

The following 2 users liked this post by dawg:
Da808popo (04-19-2019), talkingrock (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019 | 05:10 PM
TXNT
Road Captain

^^^^^^^what he said. Be sure that you get a tall backrest though, the short ones are not comfortable. Tourpacks are always handy to store stuff in

The following users liked this post:
Da808popo (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019 | 11:08 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by dawg
Get Detachables and do both
This!!

Old 04-19-2019 | 11:48 PM
cncmike
Road Master

Are you just going to ride, or tour? The tourpack is more convenient and secure. And if you are going to tour with a sissy bar you will need a luggage rack and a big bag. So if it’s all new the sissybar set up could be $600-700. But for day rides the tourpack seems like overkill as an add on

Old 04-20-2019 | 04:01 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cncmike
Are you just going to ride, or tour? The tourpack is more convenient and secure. And if you are going to tour with a sissy bar you will need a luggage rack and a big bag. So if it’s all new the sissybar set up could be $600-700. But for day rides the tourpack seems like overkill as an add on
He's in Hawaii...he CAN'T tour. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2019 | 05:34 AM
MUDDSTER
6th Gear

If your doing this for your wife definitely get the tour pac. I had back rest on a previous bike and now Tour Pac and my wife totally loves it. She feels way more comfortable and secure with the wrap around back rest. And of course there is always the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" rule to live by. Good Luck

Old 04-20-2019 | 08:45 AM
Da808popo
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by cncmike

The reason is for the comfort of my wife? In the future, 2-3 years, I will be shipping the bike over to the Mainland to do more tour riding. If I decide to go tour pack should I go aftermarket or through Harley? I've read that aftermarket tour packs crack after heavy use.

Old 04-20-2019 | 08:51 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

Never seen a cracked tour pack but there are plenty of good ones for sale out there just fine what you like and install HD is very high with all there stuff go after market do your research first.

Old 04-20-2019 | 09:06 AM
soulpatch
Tourer

Just did the 4 point docking on my 2013 flhtcu. Wanted the option to remove the tourpack for one up, throw on a backrest for short rides with the wife or the tourpack for a day (or longer) run. It's nice having the extra space on a longer run since she'll bring her purse, etc (and a place to store helmets at stops). Don't worry about the tourpack cracking. That RARELY happens and only if you mistreat or go extremely cheap with them. Shells are actually pretty cheap anyway (depending on your paint). You could also opt for one of the "chopped" pack if you want a more streamlined look instead of the bulk. There are 3 versions of them. If you plan on doing any touring...absolutely opt for the pack now. Otherwise it will cost you far more later when you really want it. But like I said, do the docking system on it and you'll always have the option of changing it out when you want. Well worth it and there are plenty of kits that don't have HD stamped on it so the cost would be much easier on the wallet.

The following users liked this post:
Da808popo (04-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Tour Pak or Sissy bar back rest with luggage rack