Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 07:14 AM
grummie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system

I have had a problem with the security system on my 2019 FLTRU. Sometimes the fob will disarm the security system, sometimes it won't and the turn signals start flashing and the bike won't start. The only way to proceed is to momentarily disconnect the battery. Several of my fellow riders with new bikes are having similar problems. The dealership in Lewiston, at owners request, are disabling the system until a fix is in place.
Any similar problems/fixes in the community ?

Old 04-17-2019, 07:19 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

If your fob batteries are ok, and the system is not working on a brand new bike, it's a warranty issue. The dealer should fix it. Not simply disable it.

The following users liked this post:
AtticusFinch (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:28 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 664 Likes on 408 Posts

Sometimes my fob isn't immediately "recognized" when in my pocket and I first climb on. Most of the time it works fine. Not only do you want to make sure you have fresh batteries but I suggest you find the rectangular antenna under the seat and make sure it's positioned on top of the module that sits on top of the battery and directly under the seat. Obviously, it's signal reception is paramount.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

First guess would be fob batteries defective. Being multiple bikes with the same issue sounds more like an IT concern.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Have you and the other guys read your manuals regarding radio interference? Power lines, electrical sub stations, ham radio in the vicinity, perhaps even a strong internet wireless transmitter, in house TV wireless cable broadcast. If there is genuinely NO PATTERN, it is an equipment problem, manufacturing, design, or assembly. Yours is the first indication of a possible manufacturing defect.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,268 Likes on 4,439 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Have you and the other guys read your manuals regarding radio interference? Power lines, electrical sub stations, ham radio in the vicinity, perhaps even a strong internet wireless transmitter, in house TV wireless cable broadcast. If there is genuinely NO PATTERN, it is an equipment problem, manufacturing, design, or assembly. Yours is the first indication of a possible manufacturing defect.

Take note on where and when this issue happens to see if there is a pattern.... the interference issue has been mentioned numerous times over the years.

Many mention being at a gas station, at a pump, and the FOB isn't recognized. They push their bike away from the pumps, and then all of a sudden it works... classic case of interference

One way to check would be, when the FOB is not recognized, push the bike away from any possible interference, about 50 feet, and see if it then starts....

But as mentioned, if there is no pattern to when/where, don't let the dealer off the hook.... they should be fixing, not disabling, the system!!!

Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Last summer I stopped in a town in the Colorado Rockies on my '17 RGS. When I tried to start my bike, no go, just flashing lights. I tried to enter the security code, but that didn't work either. I saw a store across the street where I bought a new battery for the fob. That failed to start the bike too. I finally called the nearest Harley dealer in Grand Junction, 100 miles away. They said it would be several hours before a truck would be there. I fiddled with the bike some more while I was waiting, and finally I got the fuel pump to start and it looked like it would start, but the starter wouldn't go. Since the fuel pump was working I hoped the ignition was operational too. I got my bud to push me to try to bump start it and ride to Grand Junction. It wouldn't start that way so I parked it about 100 feet away from where I was before. I went back to the bar where we had decided to wait. After a few minutes I tried the bike again and it started perfectly. I shut it of and went to get my buddy. The bike started perfectly again. I called the dealer and cancelled the tow. The bike has worked perfectly ever since!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:30 AM
grummie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make plans for the next time, I have no confidence in that system

Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by grummie
Make plans for the next time, I have no confidence in that system
I have a lot of confidence in the system. in 12 years, 7 hds, it has never failed me once. having said that, I do know how to change my pin, input the pin override, and place my system into transport mode.

tip: if you cant get your pin input to start the bike. take the fob out of your pocket and have someone hold it a good distance away from the bike. if you are having rf interference, it could be an intermittent signal. if you try to input your code, and in the middle of the input, the system recognizes your fob, it will mess up your code input and you'll have to start again.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Sure sounds as though the security system keeps more owners from riding than thieves from stealing.

Quick Reply: Security system