Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King seat and handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:53 PM
rdglide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King seat and handlebars

A friend of mine is just starting to ride again after a bad accident a couple of years ago. His old bike was a 02 Wide Glide, his new bike in a 07 Road King. The problem is the the seating position on the stock Road King is straight up and down, or evena little hunched forward, and he finds it very uncomfortable. Can someone who has customized a Road King to a more laid back position give us some ideas of bar and seat combinations that work well. Joe is 5'11" and 180lbs.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:17 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: Road King seat and handlebars

Heritage bars were the absolute best $ I have spent on the RKC, still trying to work on the seat idea though, tried the sundowner but it hurt my neck and the stock seat only hurts my a$$. Thinking about sending to one of the refinishers to adjustr and change the foam to memory foam, also installed the back rest.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:19 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Oh, no cable changes with the heritage bars, takes about an hour be careful with the tiny nancel nut in the headlight housing. Bars only $50 and the chrome looks better than the stock.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:27 PM
harleyrobert4
Cruiser

I'm 5'8 and hated the OEM bars on my 07 FLHR Road King. I went with the HERITAGE bars because I did not have to change the cables, but I will eventually go with a small Ape hanger style bar to make things (my shoulders) feel better. I recommend your friend go witha Mustangtour seat. TheFLHR was designedfor the rider to sit up on the bike like a sportster (for better control) rather than in the bike such as a Heritage classic.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wild1 Chubby Bagger Bars, stock cables, extended wiring, best mod to date.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto on the Heritage bars. I went thru 2 others before settling on them and they are great. I have a Corbin solo saddle. My RK is lowered an inch, but the seat is pretty thick. I can put my feet flat at a stop, I'm 5'10". but also very firm. I did not think it would be comfortable but it is. My buddy has the same seat and did 1800miles each way to Stugis from NJ. We both have the back rest for the long trips. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM
LavaredRKC
1st Gear

I had the same issue with the seat and bars being uncomfortable on the RKC. I installed the Wild One RKII (518) bars and the Sundowner seat.

The bars did the trick, but I did change out all the control cables and extend the wiring as well.

Either mod mentioned so far should give more comfort.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:51 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an 07 RKC. I'm 6-2 and I'm looking at the chubby bars to get a better laid back ride. I feel like I'm leaning too far forward.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Limo57
Cruiser

Heritage bars and the Sundowner seat with the back restis really comfortable....

Old 07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
RandyNC
Tourer

I went with Wild1 515 chubby bars...just had to extent the wires...cables were OK...and a stock street glide seat...
very comfy. Also have front pegs on crash bar. The whole setup works good for me...5'10' 195lbs.

Quick Reply: Road King seat and handlebars