Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying new related questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 02:00 PM
bored stiff
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying new related questions.

hey i want a bike in the spring so does that mean i will have to go order it now? i am actually afraid to go into the dealer because i dont want to get ripped off or get sold on something i dont want. will dealers do a search and find a bike for me if they dont have the one i want in stock like an auto dealer would? i read that they should all be selling at msrp + setup but is there a chance i could get under msrp? if i do end up ordering do i have to put a downpayment ? I live in milwaukee so there is about 10 dealerships around me to deal with how should i go about using all to maybe get the best price?

thanks all for your help.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:16 PM
cbrunson
Tourer
Default RE: buying new related questions.

I’ve never heard of one selling under MSRP. If you have 10 dealers nearby, they might be competitive though. My local dealer is working to get the right color street bob for my wife. I haven’t put any money on it, but I have bought two bikes from him, so he knows I’m serious. They pay attention when you start talking about the one you looked at somewhere else.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
bonzo2
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Most dealers sell at MSRP plus freight and setup. You may save a few hundred on the freight. I had to put a $500 deposit on mine, but that was refunded (finance deal) when I picked up the bike.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bonzo. MSRP + Freight+Prep-about $200 and you should be in "I didn't get ripped off too bad" shape.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:25 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello,
As far as ordering now or being able to wait until spring, ALOT would depend on the bike you are after. If it is a rare bike or a bike that alot of people are buying up then yes you may have to order it now if you want by next spring. I know a dealership I talked to was gonna order me a SG and store the bike for winter for FREE.

I did some shopping at dealerships first before settling with one, what I mean by that is I got MSRP and dicounted setup and 20% off accessories and used the fact I could get it somewhere else if I wanted to. They are in the business to sell so I'm sure they will deal a little especially if you do your researching first with all dealerships in the area.

A downpayment will be required if your are ordering one, that way they know your serious.

I would go shopping at all dealerships or maybe just 5 and find the bike and the best deal they are willing to give you, but when you find 1 dealership that is willing to give you 20% or more off use that on the next dealer so that they will either match or do better.

A good dealership should be able to give you an otd price right off the bat, not stand around with their finger up their ***.

G'Luck with everything and i hope this helps a little

GET IT IN WRITING!!!

Old 10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bored stiff

hey i want a bike in the spring so does that mean i will have to go order it now? i am actually afraid to go into the dealer because i dont want to get ripped off or get sold on something i dont want. will dealers do a search and find a bike for me if they dont have the one i want in stock like an auto dealer would? i read that they should all be selling at msrp + setup but is there a chance i could get under msrp? if i do end up ordering do i have to put a downpayment ? I live in milwaukee so there is about 10 dealerships around me to deal with how should i go about using all to maybe get the best price?

thanks all for your help.
Hey Bored,

I'm about 30 miles west of you and I just bought an '06 Street Glide in July for $700 under invoice (yes, you read that correctly...$500 discount for being a return customer and they threw in the security system). In this area you should not have to pay over invoice on any model. Like you said, there are a ton of dealers around here and they have all built huge fancy showrooms over the last 8 to 10 years so they have become very competitive. Also, the waiting lists of the past are gone...at least for now.

Fire me a PM and I'll get you in contact with a good salesman at my dealer if you're interested.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4163/8B205B23A7DD45F7A2B611467E16D688.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out Stealer-Dealer for some customer feedback and recommedations. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:15 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

Here is the deal on buying a new bike at the dealer. You cannot actually "Order" a bike from the factory. Each dealer gets an allocation and when you go to the dealer and make a deposit on a bike, you are actually reserving one of their allocated bikes. If they are to get 5 touring bikes and you want a black RKC and they don't have one allocated, then as long as they have not gone into production on that bike, they can change the color and model in the touring family to any bike in the touring family. Once they stamp the serial number on the frame...it's a done deal.

Your going to have to get in early to make sure that all the bikes are not spoken for. They are getting close to the end of the model year in the spring and getting ready to tool up for the new model year, so whatever is made by spring time is all that is going to be made. THen you are stuck with what is out there in the dealer world..and that is when it starts to get expensive....because now you are bargaining with them to find you a bike and that is taking one from another dealers allocation.

I paid MSRP for my Ultra in 04 and I added the chrome front end, security system and backrest for the rider and I was good to go. No hassle and no problems. I paid cash so that made it easier too.

Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/EEE2ADC817FD46CF92CE12EBC9D3641C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Chewy
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: solorider

Hey Bored,

I'm about 30 miles west of you and I just bought an '06 Street Glide in July for $700 under invoice (yes, you read that correctly...$500 discount for being a return customer and they threw in the security system). In this area you should not have to pay over invoice on any model. Like you said, there are a ton of dealers around here and they have all built huge fancy showrooms over the last 8 to 10 years so they have become very competitive. Also, the waiting lists of the past are gone...at least for now.

Fire me a PM and I'll get you in contact with a good salesman at my dealer if you're interested.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4163/8B205B23A7DD45F7A2B611467E16D688.jpg[/IMG]
Do you really mean invoice or MSRP, and if you do mean invoice, how do you know how much the invoice price really is?

Old 10-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yet to hear of any dealer selling invoice, much less UNDER invoice... OK, my thoughts and experience buying new: The best time to buy is dead of winter. January/Feburuary. Nothing is moving and the showrooms are getting full. I bought middle of January and paid $1500 under MSRP on an '05 Electra Glide. I shopped 3 dealerships and sorta pitted them all against each other. A word of caution... I wouldn't press this too hard as some dealers will just get pissed and turn stubborn. Leg work and a cheerful personality is the key, IMO. Don't try to do this on the phone. (I'd go get a quote from dealer "A" then take that quote to dealer "B" and see if he could beat it... then on the dealer "C".) I let them know up front I'd order or buy off the floor and was flexible in cost, model and add-ons. I also let them know up front that it would be a cash deal. (The dealer makes LESS money on cash deals but they KNOW you're a serious buyer.) So not only did I get the $1500 under msrp but I also got $300 in parts/acc and a 20% discount on everything above the $300. I also had the dealer agree to store the bike until spring... (yeah, that lasted 30 days until I couldn't stand it anymore). Dealerships WILL attempt to buy from another dealer to get you the bike you want. As stated earlier, they don't order from the factory... Buying new cars/trucks/motorcycles is FUN for me. Not for everybody, though. My advice is to have fun with it as best you can and enjoy the experience. Good Luck!

and as always... YMMV

Quick Reply: buying new related questions.