Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! High idle conditions, random

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! High idle conditions, random

I have repeatedly taken my bike in, 06 ultra, injected, back to 2 different dealers for the same problem, They say it would not do it for them!!!when the bike is cold it idles like it is supposed to, fast idle for 10/15 sec. then it idles down. when hot, after you start it, stop to get gas, go into grab all store, etc. when you start it, in neutral with clutch in, it will high idle or when you ride out of the parking lot and stop at the corner it will idle as high as 2.000. snapping the throttle and letting it snap back does not help. I never know when it will do it. I read in SERT manule that low/cranking speed can cause this. I desperate to get it fixed.Please tell me what do do to fix it. Dan

Old 07-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Silverearl
Road Captain
Default RE: HELP!! High idle conditions, random

I have had that same problem but it was only after it had stalled for what ever reason. It never does it on its own.I have a friend that let his battery die and we push started it and when it did start it ran at a high idle and then shut itself off after a few seconds. It might have something to do with the battery level. I have noticed that after I cleaned the terminals to the battery it has not done it since but I should also add that I have had the new voltage regulator changed out too.. Something to think about..

Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the throttle cable for a kink or pich somewhere. I know you said you tried snapping the throttle and letting it snap back and thatdoes not help. Have tried to roll the throttle off to see if the cable is getting hung up? Just a thought.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

The dealer replaced the regulator last month under a recall, didnt change anything. I tried to force the throttle shut, didnt help. It seems to do it when its warmed up, and you stop for 3/5 min. then restart it. it will idle fine. ride it across a shopping center parking lot then stop.It will high idle then, almost every time.Idle will come down after 10/20 seconds. Sometimes it,s 1500 and other times it,s 2,000. Will a bad temperature switch cause this problem??? Thanks Dan

Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

It sounds like the ECM may be dumping extra fuel into the jugs as if it were a cold start. Especially since the idle comes back down after 10-20 seconds or so. It's basically acting just like a choke. I have no idea what would cause the problem or what to do to fix it however. I'm still learning this EFI stuff.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I read the SERT instruction book and it said if the bike cranked over slowly that is how it knew if it was cold or hot. But it doesn,t act up when it starts, it,s after you ride it to the next stopping point. then it will fast idle. It was 95 degrees today when it done it 10 times or so. If anyone has any idea what to check, I open for suggestions. thanks Dan

Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple ideas - could be an air leak at one of the intake ports - check if the screws are tight. Any air leak in the throttle body area will have those symptoms. Next, have the throttle cables been lubricated lately - if not , do it. Did it start happening after a rain or a washing? Water in one of the connectors has also shown your symptoms. Good luck - try taking it to your dealer when it's really hot - the dealer may not be warming it up enough - tell to stick it on the dyno for a while to really warm it up - that usually works.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Piledriver
Stage IV

On my 03 heritage, if I got in a hurry and didn't let the computer complete its full cycle before start the engine would idle fast until I shut it off , turn it back on, let the little engine light go completely off, then hit the starter.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dgriffith

I read the SERT instruction book and it said if the bike cranked over slowly that is how it knew if it was cold or hot. But it doesn,t act up when it starts, it,s after you ride it to the next stopping point. then it will fast idle. It was 95 degrees today when it done it 10 times or so. If anyone has any idea what to check, I open for suggestions. thanks Dan
Here's what you do. Make an Appointment with the dealer and say look, we need a specific time to check this. Get it hot ride and make thefast idlehappenthen ride inand SHOW THEM what it's doing since youknow how tomake this problem happen. Don't count on them being able to reproduce the sameproblem that you know how to do.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Intake seals were replaced the 2nd tine on May 7. I lubed the cables the week before that and it did not help anything. After sleeping on it last night, I,ve noticed it only does it after a ride,stop for gas/potty brake/3/5 min. restart, idles fine, ride out to first stop,corner or something 1/4 mile or less. It will do it then and only once. IS there a mechanical component that could be sticking only after a hot engine soak??? Throttle position stop/valve spool in induction module/ check valve??? Trying to understand where to look. Thanks Dan

Quick Reply: HELP!! High idle conditions, random