Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! High idle conditions, random

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!! High idle conditions, random

Dalton, I was thinking along those lines of Time based fuel adder,or Sert program, But today, 93 deg. I started the bike after a 10 min. soak and when I rode about 400 feet I pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop, not touching the throttle after taking off and into 3rd gear. The bike continued to run at 1500, it did not idle down as before, and after 2 minutes I rode to the next corner and it idled down as if nothing was wrong.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There should also be a ET based fuel adder, and this may be the culprit. Does it do it on cool days?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

This is something that started about 2 months ago, But I,m going for a ride tomorrow morning, 530 am, It will be about 65 or so I think. I will try to see if it will do it then. I rode the morning but the ride cleared my mind of any problems I thought I might have had. Funny, taking a 65 mile ride in the hills of Brown County, Indiana has a way of doing that. I will post the results tomorrow morning when I get back. Thanks Dan

Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 PM
coyotedata
Cruiser

Mine is for sure after riding, usually, but not always, long and hard. Often after running twisties at elevated rpms and then coming to a stop. One day I was going down some twisties and let off the throttle to slow the bike down and the bike did NOT slow down. Pretty wierd feeling. I pulled in the clutch and came to a stop and it idled at over 3k rpms for a good minute.... then slowly dropped back to normal. This all occured, for me, after the shop replaced my cylinders, gaskets and pistons due to the ever popular head leak.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:36 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Dalton, It was 71 deg. this AM when I went for a 60 mile ride. Rode 18 and stopped for gas, After I started the bike and rode to edge of lot it high ideled for a few seconds the setteled down. Another 22 miles I stopped to make a phone call, started the bike up and rode about 4 blocks before it ideled down. I,m beginning to believe it,s a program problem with the race tuner. I looked for any engine codes when I got home and nothing. Thanks for the help! Dan

Old 05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
RonB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(My 07 SE Ultra does the same thing. Sometimes I'll come up to a stop and it will be idling at 2-3k rpms. Sometimes it will just die. Starts right back up but it's a PITA. I'm going to mention the cylinder temp sensor when I take it in.)
Coyote, I have the identical bike 07 SEU this afternoon I ran about an hour at expressway speeds, when I hit the off ramp and pulled to a stop my bike would not idle below 2000 rpms, after about 5 mins it gradually returned to a proper idle, Please keep me informed if you find out a cause, it does not seem to occur during normal driving.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 AM
sublime_ac
Road Master

My 07 FLHX did something similar... It was an idle screw, located at about 5 o'clock on the throttle body... Take your aircleaner off and have a look at it.. It is supposed to have a plug in front of it and be loc-tited in.. If it is missing the plug and is easy to turn you have found the problem.
If the plug is there make sure to check the screw from the back side and see if you can turn it with your fingers, you should NOT be able to turn that screw.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:32 AM
stateroadhog
1st Gear

ran into this problem several times once it was the tempeture sensor the other two times it was the throttle shaft in the throttle body was cracked giving a false reading to throttle position sensor which would let the bike idle between 1500 to 2000 bad news is the shaft is not replacable had to buy new throttle body. Take the TPS off and hold throttle blade shut and see if you can twist throttle shaft. BE GENTLE If yours is the adjustable TPS make sure you mark its location to get it back in sameposition. Just something to check. Seems some of the problems are alittle diffrent.I am surprized how many people are having a problem with this and of coarse Harley knows nothing!!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High Idle?
And you guys ALL dont have athrottle by Wire?
I guess that blows that theory.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM
RKrider55
Stage I

I would like to know the answer to your question too. My 06 Road King ran beautifully until last weekend, rode to the MB Bike Week put about 700 miles on it when we stopped to discuss where we were going next, as I cranked back up it idle up to about 2k for about 20 seconds then came back down. Now it also will low idle and shut down if you don't keep the throttle feathered. I am going to check the injectors and see if they have been replaced under the recall, but too attached to let my baby not run for me. Two weeks before I had the 20k service done to it, anyone heard of the throttle control module failing or needing to be remapped?