Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! High idle conditions, random

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:31 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HELP!! High idle conditions, random

ORIGINAL: dgriffith

I have repeatedly taken my bike in, 06 ultra, injected, back to 2 different dealers for the same problem, They say it would not do it for them!!!when the bike is cold it idles like it is supposed to, fast idle for 10/15 sec. then it idles down. when hot, after you start it, stop to get gas, go into grab all store, etc. when you start it, in neutral with clutch in, it will high idle or when you ride out of the parking lot and stop at the corner it will idle as high as 2.000. snapping the throttle and letting it snap back does not help. I never know when it will do it. I read in SERT manule that low/cranking speed can cause this. I desperate to get it fixed.Please tell me what do do to fix it. Dan
I had this happen to me on my '96 Road King, and it turned out to be the Head Temp. Sensor. If the Sensor goes bad, it will tell the ECM that it is like -100 degrees outside and make the ECM dump fuel to the motor to compensate and raise the idle. It is very sporadic and is hard to duplicate as it only does it when it wants to. The sensor for the '96 was $100 and was very easy to replace............on your '06 it is located right behind the horn in the front head. The service manual should have a diagnostic chart that you can check the ohm reading from the sensor to see if it's OK or not......or have the dealer check it for you.

Steve

Old 07-09-2007, 05:40 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve, I,ll check it today. I have a service manual and ohm meter. Dan

Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Rob2002
Tourer

Dan,
Please post if you find the problem.
I've had the same issue with no luck resolving it so far.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

ORIGINAL: dgriffith

I have repeatedly taken my bike in, 06 ultra, injected, back to 2 different dealers for the same problem, They say it would not do it for them!!!when the bike is cold it idles like it is supposed to, fast idle for 10/15 sec. then it idles down. when hot, after you start it, stop to get gas, go into grab all store, etc. when you start it, in neutral with clutch in, it will high idle or when you ride out of the parking lot and stop at the corner it will idle as high as 2.000. snapping the throttle and letting it snap back does not help. I never know when it will do it. I read in SERT manule that low/cranking speed can cause this. I desperate to get it fixed.Please tell me what do do to fix it. Dan

I had this happen to me on my '96 Road King, and it turned out to be the Head Temp. Sensor. If the Sensor goes bad, it will tell the ECM that it is like -100 degrees outside and make the ECM dump fuel to the motor to compensate and raise the idle. It is very sporadic and is hard to duplicate as it only does it when it wants to. The sensor for the '96 was $100 and was very easy to replace............on your '06 it is located right behind the horn in the front head. The service manual should have a diagnostic chart that you can check the ohm reading from the sensor to see if it's OK or not......or have the dealer check it for you.

Steve
Same here on my 05. After three trips to the dealer, the bike finally threw a code pointing to the head temp sensor.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I have been taking notes while riding and I can predict when the bike will high idle!! After the bike is hot, no matter 5 or 50 miles, stop engine and let it heat soak for 3/5 min. start bike and ride 300 ft.or up to 1/4 mile then stop. Bike will high idle every time. But only once, after that it will never do it again to you let it heat soak.. Also I looked in service manual and I cannot find a procedure on how to check the engine temp. switch. Anyone know how??? Dan

Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Anyone know how to check an engine temperature switch???

Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your SERT operates anything like the DTT I am running, here is what most likely is happening. After a hot soak, the Engine Temperature (ET)based Fuel Adder adds fuel to aid in hot starts. This is the same table that also adds fuel for cold starts. The Time based fuel adder table tells the ECM when to quit adding fuel , so between time and temperature, there should be a finite period of enrichment. The time based table is usually set at fifteen or 20 seconds (sounds just about right for a 1/4 mile or less). On really hot days, the ET based table is going to sense hightemps for a while and dump fuel. The Idle Air Control (IAC) is going to compensate by adding air to keep the desired A/F ratio, thus the high idle. I'll make a bet you dont notice it on 70 degree days, mostly on the really hot days. Find someone that knows the ins and outs of the SERT and they can fix it. This is NOT a vacuum leak or mechanical problem IMO. Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
coyotedata
Cruiser

My 07 SE Ultra does the same thing. Sometimes I'll come up to a stop and it will be idling at 2-3k rpms. Sometimes it will just die. Starts right back up but it's a PITA. I'm going to mention the cylinder temp sensor when I take it in.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

What you are experiencing coyotedata does sound more like an engine temp sensor, but the other fellas problem was just after start-up, not after riding for a while. I think they are two different problems.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

coyotedata, your problem does sound like it could be the engine temp sensor, but sounds like a different problem than addressed here in that his is after startup, yours is after riding.

Quick Reply: HELP!! High idle conditions, random