Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WEARING SHORTS and bees dont mix!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WEARING SHORTS and bees dont mix!!

Was out riding in my camo shorts this morning when a bee goes up my left leg and is crawling around on my inner thigh. Mind you, I am going about 75 down I-95. I am not positive at the time but 95% sure it is a bee. So I think well, do I want to get stung on the inner thigh or should pinch it together and get stung on the finger??[&o]Either way it's gonna hurt, but that little bugger is heading North!!So I decide on the pinch em with the finger option, which I do. All these is happening while I'm pulling off the side of the highway!! Now I can tell by thefeel that this is a big, big bug.!! Well, I pinch him and ... No pain , I hop off the bike stomp my foot and out falls a Bumble bee, still alive and half crushed. Man, I dodged a bullet..Still gonna wear shorts, it's 97 degrees.. but gonna make sure they are a little tighter at the knees!!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WEARING SHORTS and bees dont mix!!

*shudder*

Dude, if ya ever go down like that, a bee is gonna be the LEAST of yer problem. Yer better off w/jeans anyways - especially in terms of UV exposure!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Ain't no way this little black duck is gonna be ridin' in shorts. lol TXRedneck is right... The bugs will be the least of you worries if you ever take a spill.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I never ride in shorts, it's no guarantee that the bugs won't end up in you pants....same happened to me in jeans and it stung me. Good thing about jeans is the bugger probably couln't make it all the up to where it counts! ride safe!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ya might as well ride nekkid! Were you wearing flip-flops and a tank top, too? Jeez! Ever see a pic of a person that has suffered road rash? It ain't pretty, even after the skin and the grafts have healed completely.

The Europeans think we are nuts for NOT wearing leather pants while riding.....jeans are no protection, really. PLEASE don't do this again! We don't want to hear about the resulting injuries and suffering you'll experience if you "kiss the asphalt".[&o]

Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

Jeans help some but do not eliminate the risk of road rash if you go down. As for bees, I just recently had one go up my pant leg in Kansas and got me 4 timesbelow the knee. I was loaded down with the better half and all our gear so I had other things to worry about but damn that hurts. I like to ride in shorts when it is hot like this, if I couldn't wear shorts I would ride less and that is not an option. Mr Wonderful said it right when he said "jeans are no protection". And who cares what the Euros think?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:41 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Without a doubt, leather would be better - but when it's 95-100 degrees, it just ain't much of an option. Still, jeans ARE better'n skin - an' the boots that you will wear with 'em (an' even a Texas Boy ain't gonna wear boots with shorts in public) will add to that protection.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:04 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to steal your thread, D175, But when is some body going to make a pair of mesh riding paints like the moto/cross jackets are made out of??? Would offer protection and air flow in all weather. Dan

Old 07-08-2007, 03:11 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

same thing happened last winter here.took a bee up the sleeve at 60 pls -managed to pull off the road with one hand chasing it down my shirt. 7 am rush hour traffic / i started strippin right down to my scivvies, finally got it out. there i am damn near naked side of busy road and not one reaction from anyone good/bad or otherwies. what a strange world we live in when that looks normal.LOL

Old 07-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another compelling argument for jeans!

Quick Reply: WEARING SHORTS and bees dont mix!!