Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade seat or use Airhawk R pad for 2014 FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 PM
4Evr_Cruzn
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgrade seat or use Airhawk R pad for 2014 FLHTCU

I have severe back issues... and after a year of intense therapy feel the need to replace my stock seat. I have been doing some research, and narrowed it down to three products. Has anyone used the Road Zepplin or Hammock seat? What about Airhawk R seat pad? Looking for comfort, and back support on road trips when I start riding this year...hopefully.
Would like feedback on the products for support of the lower back and tailbone. Or were there issues with the products.
Thanks

Old 04-08-2019, 04:39 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

In my personal opinion, there is no such thing as a good seat from HD. There are so many better options from aftermarket seat makers and all are a matter of personal opinion as to which is best. You can also look into custom seat makers that you can talk to that will build a seat that will address your specific needs. I highly recommend a drivers backrest too. If you feel the need to go with a seat from HD, almost all dealers have demo seats you can get from the parts department to try on your bike for a day or two.

I've heard a lot of good things about the airhawk but that''s just a bandaid for a bad seat. Buy a quality seat instead.

Use the search function here and you will find reading for days on seats and different manufacturers.

Good luck!. Finding the right seat for you can be an adventure.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:40 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 2,303 Posts

If you're near a dealer, they usually have demo seats you can try out. Seats are an individual decision and what's right for me might not be right for you. If you don't already have one, I would suggest a rider backrest for back support. Also, highway pegs are an option that help on long rides. In addition, you might want to consider upgrading the rear shocks. Handlebars are something to consider, also.

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 05:03 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,487 Posts

HD makes great seats . Not every seat fits every ***. As stated above go to the dealer demo every seat . Seats after a while mold to you a bit so give any seat time. Why waste money buying an after market seat that may well not be right for you anyway,
There are many local people that can modify your seat to fit your needs. Reasonable cost a lot less than a new one and it will fit your needs. Back rest may work for some but for others they go to the bad Idea box.
Air hawk pads work for some but they are a pain, put them on take them off moving around. Have one in the bad idea box was for the wife. Had seat altered for her done deal $75 .

Old 04-08-2019, 05:59 PM
4Evr_Cruzn
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Appreciate the input.

Thank you really good constructive input... really appreciate it, you all given me alot to think about.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:58 PM
deacon1984
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 FLTRU. I traded the stock seat for a Hammock, and it was a big improvement. I have an Airhawk seat cushion, and still use it from time to time on long rides. The key if you get one is to put as little air in it as possible, so it just raises you off the seat.

If you have back issue, a backrest is key. I have had one on my last three bikes, and would not get one without a backrest. Makes a big difference.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:03 PM
R BEE
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi:
I also have had my fair share of back problems with 2back surgery's and a triple hernia
So enough of that ,I have both the hammock and the road zeppelin air seat .
I went at first with the heated hammock but found it a little wide by tank for my liking
I have put around 10,000 miles on this seat and other then the for mentioned I found it to be good
when I started to develop lower pain I would put on the heat even at 90 and it would help.
So I decided to buy the Road Zeppelin and have been super happy with it . If I find myself uncoverable
I just add a little air or take some out and all is good.
Both seats were used with backrest which I had mean city fill with memory foam for me .
Hope this helps

R BEE

Last edited by R BEE; 04-08-2019 at 07:06 PM.