Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytrip and Sundowner seat on SG

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007 | 10:26 AM
GliderXXX
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Daytrip and Sundowner seat on SG

I got to FINALLY take a nice Saturday roadtrip with the wife yesterday since we were blessed with abundant sunshine and warm temperatures here in DFW. We left around 11:00am for Granbury, had lunch andsome hanging outthenlooped around to Stephenville and back to DFW by 4:00. It was about a 200 miles ride It was great to see the masses of fellow riders out doing the same. Just about every gas station was full up with groups of riders doing the same. I've never been a big fan of the Sundowner but I bought it based on the huge positive experiences from fellow members, which I respect. I know it's a popular seat and for once, as a HD part, it's priced fairly. Bottom line though...that is the last trip I'm taking with the seat. I seldom put it on the bike, as most of my solotrips of this length or longer I go with either the stock seat, (reworked by BadX) or even my Mustang Daytripper. Neither are touring seats by any stretch of the imagination, but for me they are fine for actual "day trips." First it struck me yesterday how much I can't stand the look of that seat on the Street Glide. It's not about not liking any "any" touring seat on a SG, it's about the Sundowner as "the touring seat for me." The couple of times I was off the bike yesterday, I'd look at the bike before getting back on and see this big lumpy of seat on it and thought there has to be a better seat for comfort and looks. That combined with the fact that the damn thing just isn't very comfortable for either of us. My wife is petite and she complained more with this seat than with the stock seat. I also found it to be severely lacking in comfort. It's a seat that feels comfortable as the beginning of the ride anddoesn't hold up well. I'm not sure why but myold Corbinsolo felt better for 200mile rides. As long as I'm going to be going for comfort, if it's going to be unattractive on the bike, it damn well better be comfy

So, I know there are a couple of other threads going on this topic but I'd like to get afew first hand responses on two specific seats and riders preferences.Given how much I like myMustang Daytripper, I'm thinking of ordering a one piece smooth sport touringseat from Mustang. They appear to me to still keep some decent lines on the bikeand from the pics lookgood and still somewhat sporty.The other is the full one piece Mustang touring seat. That seat looks ultra comfortable, but isquite a bit bigger. Is it worththe difference in comfort? Positives, negatives, seat position issues, overall comfort, and all other comments are appreciated. As always, pictures of the seats on a SG are also appreciated.

The Sundowner is up for sale as of this morning in the classified. It's in great shape and I'm willing to let it go for a fair price. If you're in the market take a look. I'm still in search of my digital camera, but I will get pics up pronto.

Old 07-08-2007 | 10:40 AM
kdclaiborne
Intermediate
Default RE: Daytrip and Sundowner seat on SG

Shows how butts are different. I like my Sundowner for trips. Done a couple of 250 days and 820 2 weeks ago. Don't really like look either. I alternate between stock and passenger backrest for around town, Sundowner with detach Tour Pack for long trips and Mustang 79100 Solo with driver backrest and Motherwell fender rack when alone. I will probably muy one of the Mustang passenger pillions soon so I can leave Mustang solo on and pop on passenger pillion when I want. Sorry I don't have pics, but there are several forum pics of Mustang 79100 in the forum. Check it out.