Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone ELSE dropped their EGC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007 | 07:12 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: has anyone ELSE dropped their EGC?

You guys have to some of the most honest folks on a forum. I have been using forums for my bikes for a long time and I never seen everyone admit to droping their bike. I have been riding over 43 years and way to many drops and crashes to mention here. All I can say I have many many scars and healed bones that I don't care to remember. As a short guy and only 135lbs at that I did drop my uc trying to back up in a parking space. The floorboard and saddle bag bar saved the bike from any marks or scratches. By the time I stood up straight there were 3 others standing by my side to help. They were in trucks not bikes.It will happen sooner or later. The way I see it is like this if you haven't droped your bike or crashed then you have to be a bike owner.

Old 07-08-2007 | 07:31 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: dirtdobber

You guys have to some of the most honest folks on a forum. I have been using forums for my bikes for a long time and I never seen everyone admit to droping their bike.
Yeah? Well, I've been carrying this secret for two years (wife was the only witness). Feels good to finally purge.

I\m Free! I'M FREE! FREE AT LAST!

Old 07-08-2007 | 07:55 PM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser

Picking up a EG Standard or EG Classic is a piece of cake once your shown how to do it.I'm 160lbs and can pick up my EG Standard w/ no problems.I have not dropped my bike on accident YET !But once I was shown how to properly pick it up by a LEO friend of mine I've laid it over ( on perpose ) to show my other friend how to do it.Here's how: Be sure bike is in gear.Put your butt in the saddle and squat down w/ knees bent.Grab the handlebar grip and the passenger grab bar.Slowly walk the bike back uprite using your legs and little force w/ your upper body.It's really easy once your shown the proper technique.Have an LEO show you how to do it.Remember those guards are there for a reason.I'd rather have some scratched chrome ( barely visable ) by the way than a crunched saddle bag.Hope this helps someone at some point in time.And YES , I will eventually drop my bike on accident!It's just a matter of time.

Old 07-08-2007 | 08:54 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

Here is a link to a web site that shows the easy way to pick up a dropped bike. Works really well once you get the hang of it. You may have to adjust your leg and butt position a couple times to get the leverage correct, but once you get it, you will never fear picking up a bike again.

http://pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Old 07-08-2007 | 09:50 PM
precisionworks
Cruiser

Once or twice a year, always on gravel. Easy for one wimpy person (me) to pick up, as the engine guards keep the bike somewhat upright.

Click on this link, which is how I do it:
http://ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

Old 07-08-2007 | 10:19 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member

dropped mine in a gas station too close to the pump ,some looney tune spilled oil right where this looney tune put his foot down. took me and another old man to pick it up

Old 07-08-2007 | 10:40 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup, I've dropped mine once, and probably more to follow. [:@]

Sort of like have an new pickup truck. Until you've scratched the bed you're afraid to use it. After that, you're ready for anything. Time to ride!

Old 07-08-2007 | 11:20 PM
Greybeardrider
Road Warrior

Yeah, I did it, last summer, with my lovely wife on the back....don't use front brake on sharp turns, trust me.
Luckily, we were riding with friends, and Tom was off his bike and helping me lift my EGC immediately. I honestly think I could have done it alone just on the adrenelin rush. I had seen the technique of putting your back to it, and lifting, and used it, with the help of my friend.
Oh, when you try to start it up again,........put it in neutral....

Old 07-08-2007 | 11:22 PM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser

Thanks for posting those links guys.I'm sure everyone will better undrestand what I was trying explain.LOL...LOL...

Old 07-08-2007 | 11:28 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

The engine and bag guards are awesome and totally protect the rest of the bike. Once you learn how to pick it up, it almost becomes fun.And once you see the lack of damage, it's easy to just step away from it as it goes over so you don't get hurt trying to save it.
That's it exactly!

The first thing I teach my students is how to safely step off and away from a dropping bike. Most folks get injured trying to hold up the bike, rather than letting it fall over. The worst thing you want to do is get trapped under a hot motorcycle. So I mount up, dropmy bike, and then let them try it if they wish. Then I demostrate the correct technique for picking up the bike. All you have to do is step off and away as the bike falls.

If you decide to practice these safety techniques, take some heater hose, or garden hose, split it open, andtape it tothe contact area of the crash bars. The lay some old carpetingdown, and yourbike will be fine. Remember to take the rider back rest off your seat asit can catch on the back of your pants, or belt and pull you down unexpectedly.

Quick Reply: has anyone ELSE dropped their EGC?