Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:12 PM
JakePie
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Primary Noise

I started the bike up for a quick spin yesterday and let it warm up. once warm there started to be a whining and slight grinding noise that seemed to come from the primary. It's extremely difficult to pin point the noise. The clutch, inner primary bearing, and crankshaft seal have all been replaced recently. The compensator is a key culprit but maybe someone can help me with the diagnosis.

The bike is a 2000 EG
98 Ci
06 Heads with work
S&S 570 ez start cams
SE oil pump and cam plate
Forged Pistons
New Clutch with VPC

Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5490.mov (3.49 MB, 62 views)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Remove the chain adjuster inspection plate and check your chain tension. There is supposed to be some slack in it, if it's adjusted taught then it's going to whine. Also, make sure there is lubricant in there. If in doubt, drain and refill with 1 quart of primary lubricant. Those earlier compensators are usually not a problem, but make sure the mounting bolt is properly torqued, same with the clutch hub nut, if the noises still persist after adjusting the chain.

ETA: Just listened to your recording, it's difficult to hear it good, but that sounds like a lot of noise going on there, like exhaust leak or valve train noise. Go to Harbor Freight and they should have a stethoscope for cheap that is great for pinpointing noises. Just put the long point against various places and see if the noise gets loud through the ear pieces.

Last edited by Guntoter; 03-28-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:08 PM
JakePie
Advanced

The adjuster was just replaced with a Hayden one yesterday and everything was reassembled to spec. I am going to disassemble again and check everything. I have heard it is unlikely for these years to go bad but the bike does have around 65k on it now.

The following users liked this post:
JOHNNIE NAP (08-06-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:09 PM
JakePie
Advanced

I tried the stethoscope but it’s hard to pinpoint anything noticeable.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:33 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

There is a bearing in the clutch hub and the compensator clutch pack will make noise if it comes apart or the springs break.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Don't be distracted by the problems that later comps have, on the TC96 bikes! Another consideration is that chain tension should be set at the tightest spot along the primary chain. Don't simply pour in a quart, fill to the correct level as per your FSM, which may require less than a quart!

Old 03-29-2019, 08:28 AM
JakePie
Advanced

I plan on breaking it back down today and checking everything in more detail. Can you check the primary other than a visual check. Seen a lot on the springs giving out but not sure how to tell. Bike sounds perfect until it warms up then the noise begins.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:30 PM
JakePie
Advanced

I was lucky enough to find a used compensator locally and I can rule that out instead of buying a new one. I couldn’t complain for 20 bucks. The drain plug was stripped so I’m fixing that and I will update everyone on the outcome. My fingers are crossed!

Old 04-07-2019, 09:09 PM
JakePie
Advanced

Swapped the compensator and I can officially rule that out. Bike started up and sounded great. I let it warm up for 10 minutes, turned it off and the noise came back. Went back to the stethoscope but still extremely hard to pin point. sounded more forward so I pulled the front rocker cover and there is no excessive end play or signs of wear. Would a lifter cause noise only when warm? I would assume that the noise would be present at all times with a bad lifter. I plan on pulling the cam cover to take a quick visual test as well.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:26 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Make sure your cam chain tensioners have not come apart when you are in the cam chest. Hopefully those have been upgraded to the hydraulic ones but there are 2, one on the outside and one on top behind the cam plate. Lifters can get noisy hot or cold or both, Comp Cams sells excellent lifters that are also low priced. Change the pushrods to adjustable ones also, preferably Screamin Eagle as they are the easiest to install and adjust. You can cut the originals with bolt cutters to avoid removing the rocker assemblies. Check your exhaust connections too, make sure you aren't getting leaking that can sound just like valve train noise. Especially at the outlets at the heads.

Last edited by Guntoter; 04-07-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Primary Noise