Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'19 FLHXS Handlebar Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 07:29 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts
Default '19 FLHXS Handlebar Options

Just got my new '19 Street Glide Special. I'm short so I have had the bike lowered 1" front and rear and had a H-D Reach Seat installed. This allows me to comfortably Flat Foot when stopped. However, my arm reach to the handlebars is not comfortable causing me to lean forward slightly but noticably.

On my '18 Heritage, which was lowered and has a H-D Reach seat that allows me to Flat Foot it when stopped. Additionally, I was able to raise the stock handebars about 2" and back about 1 1/2" using a set of pull back risers that made my arm reach much more comfortable allowing me to sit up straight and still reach the grips with a slight bend at the elbows.

I'm not well versed about a SGS, so wondering what options I might have for getting my handlebars up a little and back a little. I know about H-D Reach Handlebars, but wondering if there are any other options. Not looking to put on tall apes. Stock style but slightly taller that can be pulled back some would be what I'm looking for.

Suggestions?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 237 Posts

I went with a set of Chubby Bagger Low bars, easy install, still can retain the fairing mirrors and plenty of room to run the wires inside the handle bars while still retaining the stock wires and clutch and front brake lines.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm short to 5-4 although I'm not exactly flat-footed I'm running standard stock Hight with Legends suspension. Every set of handlebars I try to always go back to stock.

FrankEV (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:51 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Wild ones has one of the best sites and selections for bikes that I know of.

FrankEV (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Khromewerks 2+2 narrow sweepers, they are 2” higher and 2” closer to the rider than stock

Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

Before you spend any money, simply adjust your bars, to see if that works - in fact your dealer should have offered to do that for you IMHO, as part of making your bike fit, so visit them and ask them to do it! By all means look at changing bars if that doesn't work out, but try the free stuff first.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:44 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Off topic , but how do you like the ride with the suspension lowered?

Old 03-23-2019, 04:57 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ryan06
Off topic , but how do you like the ride with the suspension lowered?
I don't find much, if any, difference in handleing with it lowered. I'm not an overly aggressive rider so I don't notice much difference. I suspect, like my lowered Heritage, I will scrape a little more often, mainly when 2 up, but that does not bother me. I've only scraped it once so far, and that was when it was still stock and during the test ride before I bought it. BTW, I actually find the front susppension is better than stock. No hint of dipping during stops.

The new Suspension Technologies suspension are gas filled and is a little stiffer than the stock setup. They originally had the rear shocks set at 3 turns. As I'm a "lightweight" this was a little too stiff and I cranked it down one full turn. Still slightly stiffer than stock but it feels good to me there. My Herritage is also stiff because my Lady is a little bit on the heavy side and if I don't keep the setting in the mid range the bike will bottom out a lot when 2 up.. I have not had her on the SGS yet so I'm not sure if the setting will be OK, but it feels much the same as my Heritage the way it is set right now.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:33 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hawg Runner
I went with a set of Chubby Bagger Low bars, easy install, still can retain the fairing mirrors and plenty of room to run the wires inside the handle bars while still retaining the stock wires and clutch and front brake lines.
Was this the one? WO579 CHUBBY® BAGGER LOW
What are the rise and pull back difference from stock?

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Wild ones has one of the best sites and selections for bikes that I know of.
I'll research them more. Just need to figure out what I need.

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Khromewerks 2+2 narrow sweepers, they are 2” higher and 2” closer to the rider than stock
This sounds like the Ideal HBs but I could not find them on their site in Black. Also, seemed to be for only older models. '19s not listed.
Edit: did find they are available in Black.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Before you spend any money, simply adjust your bars, to see if that works - in fact your dealer should have offered to do that for you IMHO, as part of making your bike fit, so visit them and ask them to do it! By all means look at changing bars if that doesn't work out, but try the free stuff first.
I like free. However, an adjustrment to the stock bars would either; pulling back toward rider make them much too low or rolling forward would make them much too far away. Where they are now is almost OK, but just makes me bend over a little to reach them comfortably. Hate bending over any amount.

Sat on an Ultra Limited Low with both the H-D Reach Seat and the H-D Reach Handlebars. That felt very good to me.

Last edited by FrankEV; 03-23-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:48 PM
troopin
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You can also go with the curved pull back riser. That’s what I did on my wife’s bike with the reach seat. Left the stock handlebars and it worked. It also saves you money since you don’t have to re run the wires in the bars. I believe the pull back both raises and pulls them back. That keeps the bars in the same position essentially. By raising them via the riser then adjusting them down to give you more pull back doesn’t really change the stock angle. Hope that made sense.

Last edited by troopin; 03-23-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spelling more info

Quick Reply: '19 FLHXS Handlebar Options