Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 roadglide extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019 | 06:18 PM
Ndoggct
|
Cruiser
Default 2017 roadglide extended warranty

Hello how much can I expect to pay for a Harley extended warranty? Looking at 2017 roadglide
is it worth it? Thanks

Old 03-22-2019 | 07:35 PM
KYRGultra
Road Master

I can't give you a price but let me advise you that you ask the price at EVERY Harley dealer within 100 miles, maybe more. When I bought my new '13 RG I asked the price at both Harley dealers here in Louisville. Can't remember the price but I do remember the exact same warranty package was $250 higher at one of the two dealers. I didn't buy it from either dealer.

Old 03-23-2019 | 05:27 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by KYRGultra
I can't give you a price but let me advise you that you ask the price at EVERY Harley dealer within 100 miles, maybe more. When I bought my new '13 RG I asked the price at both Harley dealers here in Louisville. Can't remember the price but I do remember the exact same warranty package was $250 higher at one of the two dealers. I didn't buy it from either dealer.
Well then, who did you buy it from, or did you buy at all? The original poster wants info on what they cost and where you can buy it.

Old 03-23-2019 | 05:46 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master

Originally Posted by GOV5
Well then, who did you buy it from, or did you buy at all? The original poster wants info on what they cost and where you can buy it.
I didn't buy one. But, later I found out some credit unions sell similar plans. Checked with one here in Louisville, their plan was very similar to the HD plan with the $50 deductible and their plan covered all the major components but it wasn't what I would call "bumper to bumper" like the HD. But...., the credit union plan was only about 1/3 the cost of the HD plan. I could sleep better at night knowing all my major components were covered and the price of the credit union plan wouldn't have hurt the checkbook balance too bad and I was ready to buy from the credit union UNTIL I found out the Thundermax tuner I had put on would have voided some of the credit union plan.

And I did start purchasing the Discount ESP last October for my 2016 RGU. ****! Hope they get their problems worked out and I also hope the surety insurance company that is supposed to back up the Discount ESP claims in the event Discount isn't able or won't pay legit claims is valid. The Discount ESP plan was considerably cheaper than a HD plan and it is stated having some non HD tuner and/or other mods won't void the Discount ESP unless the mod was installed incorrectly and/or the cause of a problem. Also, I have previously read a lot of very good reviews of Discount ESP on this and other forums. So, we will see about all tat!

Old 03-23-2019 | 06:29 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Ask your local dealer.

Old 03-23-2019 | 07:53 AM
30glock
Road Warrior

And I did start purchasing the Discount ESP last October for my 2016 RGU. ****! Hope they get their problems worked out.
What problem are you talking about ?

Old 03-23-2019 | 07:59 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

I didn't buy one. But, later I found out some credit unions sell similar plans. Checked with one here in Louisville, their plan was very similar to the HD plan with the $50 deductible and their plan covered all the major components but it wasn't what I would call "bumper to bumper" like the HD. But...., the credit union plan was only about 1/3 the cost of the HD plan. I could sleep better at night knowing all my major components were covered and the price of the credit union plan wouldn't have hurt the checkbook balance too bad and I was ready to buy from the credit union UNTIL I found out the Thundermax tuner I had put on would have voided some of the credit union plan.

And I did start purchasing the Discount ESP last October for my 2016 RGU. ****! Hope they get their problems worked out and I also hope the surety insurance company that is supposed to back up the Discount ESP claims in the event Discount isn't able or won't pay legit claims is valid. The Discount ESP plan was considerably cheaper than a HD plan and it is stated having some non HD tuner and/or other mods won't void the Discount ESP unless the mod was installed incorrectly and/or the cause of a problem. Also, I have previously read a lot of very good reviews of Discount ESP on this and other forums. So, we will see about all tat!
First of all, thanks so much for the quick answer. Next, what are the "problems to get worked out" ? I had some with Discount.ESP too. Curious as to what yours were.

The Discount.ESP plan is about 60% of the cost of the HD "Sponsored"Plan, but I don't know if it really covers a lot of the "incidentals" covered under the HD plan...like Hotel rooms, towing, meals, alternate transportation, etc. I'm not knocking either plan, but after my experience, the differences in the plans may be there for a reason...like the HD plan covering more.
If it's just warranty mechanical work, not a road breakdown that requires overnight stay, then the Discount.ESP plan really is cheaper. But even still, the work will require at least 1 or 2 days wait time over the HD plan...because of getting approvals....at least at my local dealer anyway.

Old 03-23-2019 | 10:08 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

if the trip interruption feature is important to you, check with your insurance company. i think i pay about $12 a year over the basic towing to have that.

Old 03-23-2019 | 10:41 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master

Originally Posted by GOV5
First of all, thanks so much for the quick answer. Next, what are the "problems to get worked out" ? I had some with Discount.ESP too. Curious as to what yours were.

The Discount.ESP plan is about 60% of the cost of the HD "Sponsored"Plan, but I don't know if it really covers a lot of the "incidentals" covered under the HD plan...like Hotel rooms, towing, meals, alternate transportation, etc. I'm not knocking either plan, but after my experience, the differences in the plans may be there for a reason...like the HD plan covering more.
If it's just warranty mechanical work, not a road breakdown that requires overnight stay, then the Discount.ESP plan really is cheaper. But even still, the work will require at least 1 or 2 days wait time over the HD plan...because of getting approvals....at least at my local dealer anyway.
The "problems to get worked out" I mentioned are due to the lawsuit--HD is suing Boardtracker and/or others for over 6 mil. Not sure how that may impact Discount ESP ran by Jim Palmer who is involved with Boardtracker and other companies involved. I hope the lawsuit and associated problems do NOT impact the Discount ESP but, we will see. And so far I haven't had any issues/claims.

And, for me personally, I'm not worried about getting hotels, meals, etc. covered. The towing provided by the Discount ESP isn't much, appears to be limited to the first $100 but I don't need that with my AAA with optional RV/Motorcycle coverage. And the way I read the info there shouldn't be any "1 or 2 days wait time over the HD plan". Get towed in and the service writer calls the number to get a claim approved, now if it is after business hours or maybe a Sunday then, like the info says, call asap, but that shouldn't 1 or 2 days delay.

My bike is a '16. Seems like if I had a 17 or later my FP3 & de-catted head pipe would be a problem with HD warranty work for sure and maybe with the HD ESP if the 2 year factory was up. And those items I have, even on a '16, would be a problem if I had bought a plan through a credit union so, besides being noticeably cheaper, Jim Palmer told me my FP3 and other mods would not impact claims with the Discount ESP assuming the mods were installed correctly and did not cause whatever problem I might be having.

Old 03-24-2019 | 05:20 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

The "problems to get worked out" I mentioned are due to the lawsuit--HD is suing Boardtracker and/or others for over 6 mil. Not sure how that may impact Discount ESP ran by Jim Palmer who is involved with Boardtracker and other companies involved. I hope the lawsuit and associated problems do NOT impact the Discount ESP but, we will see. And so far I haven't had any issues/claims.

And, for me personally, I'm not worried about getting hotels, meals, etc. covered. The towing provided by the Discount ESP isn't much, appears to be limited to the first $100 but I don't need that with my AAA with optional RV/Motorcycle coverage. And the way I read the info there shouldn't be any "1 or 2 days wait time over the HD plan". Get towed in and the service writer calls the number to get a claim approved, now if it is after business hours or maybe a Sunday then, like the info says, call asap, but that shouldn't 1 or 2 days delay.

My bike is a '16. Seems like if I had a 17 or later my FP3 & de-catted head pipe would be a problem with HD warranty work for sure and maybe with the HD ESP if the 2 year factory was up. And those items I have, even on a '16, would be a problem if I had bought a plan through a credit union so, besides being noticeably cheaper, Jim Palmer told me my FP3 and other mods would not impact claims with the Discount ESP assuming the mods were installed correctly and did not cause whatever problem I might be having.
And the way I read the info there shouldn't be any "1 or 2 days wait time over the HD plan". Get towed in and the service writer calls the number to get a claim approved, now if it is after business hours or maybe a Sunday then, like the info says, call asap, but that shouldn't 1 or 2 days delay.

You said you haven’t had a claim yet. Well I have, and I can tell you it doesn’t work quite as simply as it reads.

Here’s how it really works:

1. The service writer(SW) calls in for a Work authorization, called a “tear down”. HD shop gets the OK and sees what the problem is and what it’s going to cost to fix it.

2. HD shop sends in the estimate of the work cost, and waits for approval from ESP. At this point, ESP can actually choose to send a rep down to look and confer with the shop.

3. The shop gets the approval for the work to be done and they do the work.

4. The HD shop sends in the “work completed” fax/call and requests their payment..

If it’s a weekend, YOU have to pay the shop and get your money back from ESP. If it’s a normal work day in the week, ESP will send the credit card payment to the shop and you get your ride back. But that may take a few hours. Another delay, in other words.

Look, for the 100th time, I have no problem with this procedure IF I understand UPFRONT , how the procedure works. This is where the ESP advertising is VERY misleading, in my opinion. They advertise it to be just like the HD Sponsored Plan works. IT’S NOT THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THAT’S MY GRIPE!!!

Personally, I think I got caught up in a pissing contest between the local dealer, HD Corp, and Discount.ESP.

There may be some folks that have had a shop sail through this process without any customer annoyance. I sure hope so. I’m just saying it isn’t the norm.

Quick Reply: 2017 roadglide extended warranty