Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poker Runs And Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:43 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poker Runs And Bars

Just my opinon but I wouldn't ride if I had been drinking and I don't like riding with people who have been drinking. Most of the time when I do a poker run, I leave with friends or in between groups so I can enjoy the ride and not worry about what others are doing (battling the cages is hard enough). I do enojy large group runs for other purposes, Toys for Tots, Victory Junction Gang, etc. But on a poker run with beer I tend to be a loner.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:43 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I drink diet coke and let'm rip cause the first bike back has to wait for the last bike to get there.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 AM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

First off, the hot dogs and non alcoholic beers, at cost, is a great thing. But remember, only TIME sobers someone up. I no longer drink, not that I wont start again someday. Right now, in my life, booze is not what it use to be.

Second, I ride alone or with a small group more than anything else. On the one (large)group ride I have gone on, it stopped at a bar. I hung out for a bit, but ended up taking off on my own. The others were to busy drinking. I still had a great time, I just find it more relaxing by myself. JMHO.
Same here, I do not drink and drive or ride. I feel it is just plain stupid to do so. My brother rides with a group that rides from bar to bar all day. I went one time and never again. Ntohing happened that time but I will not chance it again. After the first stop I stayed in the rear. I bought my bike to ride! 200 mile day rides are my kind of rides not 30 mile and 8 bars.

Just my opinion.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 07-08-2007, 09:14 AM
reelmcoy
Advanced

I rode drunk once, on a 89 GSXR 1100 of all bikes. That much power and impairment is bad. Never rode while drunk again. It is hard enough to survive on a bike sober. If I ride with someone who had a beer or two I make sure they are in front of me. I mostly ride alone so I don't have to worry about it.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I very rarely ride in a group. I have done a few poker runs in the past to support a specific charity, it is not something I seek out. I also don't go to rallies. I heard a long time ago that a mob will take the IQ of it's lowest member. I have found that to be especially true when you get a large group of bikes mixed with booze and testoserone.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 AM
hoz88
Road Master

It's a personal choice. I have a beer or 2 while I'm out on the road (we rode for 8 hours yesterday and had 3). I know some people get plastered while riding, and I just don't ride with them. That is also the reason that I don't ride many poker runs - you don't know where "they" are! I know some people don't drink at all while riding, and that's fine with me. My perfect day is a big ride with our core group of 8 or so bikes with me having about 3 beers and my wife (on the back of my bike - not on her own) having 6 - 8. That way we have a great ride and when we get home she is willing and I am ready!!!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:28 AM
HarleyHopeful
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: hoz88

It's a personal choice. I have a beer or 2 while I'm out on the road (we rode for 8 hours yesterday and had 3). I know some people get plastered while riding, and I just don't ride with them. That is also the reason that I don't ride many poker runs - you don't know where "they" are! I know some people don't drink at all while riding, and that's fine with me. My perfect day is a big ride with our core group of 8 or so bikes with me having about 3 beers and my wife (on the back of my bike - not on her own) having 6 - 8. That way we have a great ride and when we get home she is willing and I am ready!!!!!
[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]Love the way you think, man! Give 'er hell! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-08-2007, 10:30 PM
iowacruiser
Tourer

ORIGINAL: StreetGlide2006

Same here, I do not drink and drive or ride. I feel it is just plain stupid to do so. My brother rides with a group that rides from bar to bar all day. I went one time and never again. Ntohing happened that time but I will not chance it again. After the first stop I stayed in the rear. I bought my bike to ride! 200 mile day rides are my kind of rides not 30 mile and 8 bars.

Just my opinion.

Ride Safe,

Mike
I agree SG2006 on the low mileage runs. My wife and I have done several poker runs with a few friends. We agreed with the last one that we probably won't do any more for a while just because we love the wind in our face rather than standing room only bars. (But do enjoy sitting down with a cool one afterwards.) A great compromise would be a poker run with 50 to 60 miles between stops.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Snort
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: HarleyHopeful

ORIGINAL: hoz88

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]Love the way you think, man! Give 'er hell! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
I was thinking the same thing! GIT-R-DRUNK!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

Funny thing. The wife and I did a poker run yesterday. It was sponsored by a M/C, and I noticed fewer drinkers than at the ABATE sponsored runs I quit doing years ago. As a past active member of ABATE and a current and active member of a M/C, I can tell you from my experiences in Wayne County, MI you are safer with a club. We don't let our brothers ride intoxicated. A beer or two is ok, but six or eight can be fatal. As far as the big "parade" type runs, if its a worthwhile cause I'll pay my money and meet the group at the end for the food and party. Too many inexperienced riders IMO. I love to ride, and I'll ride with anyone, as long as they stay safe. I've done many miles in large packs with my bro's, but if I'm out with friends or new riders it just seems safer to keep it around eight or so bikes. On poker runs, my wife and I tend to stay alone and go our own pace. As someone stated earlier in this thread, you all gotta wait for the last bike in.

Quick Reply: Poker Runs And Bars