Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Zack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling 07 Ultra

Have SERT, dyno tune and Syn3...what is the most effective next move? True duals? Oil cooler? Puts off alot of heat behind the rear cylinder. Runs about 240 degree oil temp on an 85 degree day.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Cooling 07 Ultra

oil cooler,full synth. oil,remove lowers during summer, hd heat mng download. so far im one step ahead of the heat

Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 PM
woodys3b
Novice

Please excuse my ingorance. Even though I have been riding for 35 years, I'm new to this whole Harley thing. I have an 08 Electra Glide Standard on order and I'm trying to get smart on this heat/pinging issue so I know what to do if mine is afflicted with it.

What is SERT? I'm familiar with a PC III. Is this the same thing?

What is HD Heat Mng download?

What is considered an acceptable oil temp?

Is it possible to cure this condition without going to aftermarket pipes and air cleaner? It's pretty fair to say that if you make more horsepower, you will make more heat. An argument could be made that freer flowing pipes and air cleaner would actually produce more heat.

Thanks
Andy

Old 07-07-2007, 12:14 AM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember you have a air - cooled engine , if its not cool enough with the mods you already have , you will never be happy.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:28 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

woodys3b, A SERT is a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. It is sold by HD and is specific to your bike. Meaning you could not remove it and put on another bike. A PC III will do just fine. I believe the HD heat management download is the one done by the dealer that will shut off the rear cylinder at idle, once a certain temp is reached. And 220 degrees is what I have read others say is an acceptable temperature. You can run your bike without any aftermarket accessories, but you will be happy once you getthem, they are a wise decision. All of this information is just what I have read concerning the '07 models. I have a '05 with a carb so, I don't see much of this on my bike. Again, just what I have read on this forum.

Another great way to keep the heat off is to install a heat sheild under your saddle. HD and Kuryakyn both make one (plastic), but the concensus is that the one you can buy from RJOriginals (material that matches yout saddle and wont melt or break)is the best. It costs more, but, IMO, looks a whole lot better.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:58 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Zack

Have SERT, dyno tune and Syn3...what is the most effective next move? True duals? Oil cooler? Puts off alot of heat behind the rear cylinder. Runs about 240 degree oil temp on an 85 degree day.

What kinda AFR did the dyno give you. I ensured that when they dyno't that i was looking for performance, but especially wanted to richen up the AFR to help the heat issue. I also added a oil cooler and a set of RJs original shields. Heat is no problem now. Hottest i could get was 220 in temps over 100 degrees. Of course, if you sit idling for a long time, you'll going to get heat radiated off the engine, just what you get from an air cooled engine. but, I know what you mean with the heat off the rear jug. It was terrible, but after i did the mods, ain't an issue now.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zack

I would do the oil cooler. The Jagg 10-row low mount costs about the same as the 6-row H-D and is more efficient. It's simple to install and mounts in the same location as the H-D unit- down low.

I've heard varying reports of how much the 10-row Jagg will drop oil temps- anywhere from 25-40 degrees depending on who's thermometer you're looking at. I have no thermometer but between the oil cooler and the Fuel Pak I added the drop in temps was enough for the rider to feel, so that's fairly substantial...

Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

Did the Tru-Duels, Air Cleaner, Fuel Pak, and Oval Mufflers, that all helped but removing the lowers made a huge difference. It is fun to ride again when it is in the high 90's. Oil cooler is next.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

Removing the lowers(the newer adjustable ones) doesn't cool the bike down anymore than if you left them on. Adding the oil cooler won't help if the bike ain't moving, you will still get radiant heat off that rear cylinder when you stop. It appears the shields, H-D, Kuryakin or RJ's seem to help quite a bit. I'm waiting to try a friends bike an 07 like mine before I buy me a set.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

I have heard from several semi-reliable sources that the '08's will be extremely difficult to modify with a PC, SERT, or anything else. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time until our EPA tightens the noose on our love for engine modifications. Then what?

Quick Reply: Cooling 07 Ultra