Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

navigation and xm radio questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:59 PM
stapler101
|
Novice
Default navigation and xm radio questions

I am about ready to buy an ultra classic. I got approved today and am supposed to pick it up tomorrow.
After reading tonight on about every web site I can find, I have 2 questions about the bike.
Is the xm radio built in or must it be added?
The radio has buttons that refer to navigation (I don't know exactly what they say). Does that mean that the nagivation system is built in or must something else be bought?

thanks for any info.
By tomorrow I may be a converted Winger and riding my first every Harley!

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:06 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: navigation and xm radio questions

they nav buttons do not mean that the nav system is built in. You have to buy the HD one if you want that button to work. I wouldn't, it is a poor GPS and doesn't provide many of the features, including a multi color display that the aftermarket ones have. I got a Garmin 2610 added to the handlebars, but there are many others that are probably just as good, and all of them are likely cheaper and better than what HD provides.

XM must also be bought separately.

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:10 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

welcome
think you got to by seperate but may be a good idea to have it installed before delivery for warrenty purpases. this is just my opinion but I waited and found that adding a gps was better(another thread) and the mp3 player works good for me so far..ect(another thread).
congrats and good luck!

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:12 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

If you're getting the 2007 SE Ultra classic, here's what radio is standard;

The GPS-based Advanced Audio Navigation System is now standard equipment on the Screamin’ Eagle Ultra, part of the 40-watt-per-channel Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon that also includes AM/FM/Weather Band/CB/Intercom, a single disc CD/MP3 player, and 150-channel digital XM Satellite radio with three months of introductory service included.

Not sure what the Stock Ultra Classic radio is but here's a link to H-D catalog that shows all the different H-D radios and what they can do.;

http://www.harley-davidson.com/brows...bmLocale=en_US

chappy

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:15 PM
stapler101
|
Novice

Thanks for the replies.
I belive I will opt for an add on GPS and I may get an mp3 player.
Any suggestions on an mp3 as I have never had one?

thanks again

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:15 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: gman
I got a Garmin 2610 added to the handlebars, but there are many others that are probably just as good, and all of them are likely cheaper and better than what HD provides.
gman, How does the 2610 differ from the 550 other than it not being water proof? Seems to me you can save a ton of cash by getting the 2610 over the 550. I don't need any of the blue tooth or any of the other fancycrap that the 550 has either,[:'(] just want the little box to tell me where to turn. Thanks, Bryan

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:18 PM
Fishguy001
Road Captain

XM and Navigation are separate

I have the XM and like it a lot (it was about $600 I think)

The HK stereo will play MP3's also with no add ons

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:23 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

2610 does resist water and somewhere i've read the specs to how it is rated for water. one of the better ones. from reading, some of the later GPS have a hard drive, which is a no-no on a bike. the 2610 with an added CF card will hold the entire US and provide necessary storage for routes you can also build on your home computer and then load. it is no longer in production, but is one of the better ones around. you canfind re-built ones on the net. I've had mine for going on 5 years and have used continually. great system IMHO. certainly technology continues, but it is a pretty great GPS for the price. Think you can find some bigger screens, but i've found the multi-color screen it has to be sufficient.

cyclegadgets sells a mount and i got the hard wiring for it from Radio Shack.

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:26 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

stapler-the mp3 is standered on 07 radio. last winter I burned 50 hours on 5 cd's,,so far so good. sat? maybe?have it in cars and house but mp3 is better for bike. sat added is not water proof and have to take off bike every were i go ( gps dont use all the time less hassel to take off)

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:31 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

The 2610 is a good unit, however it is getting a bit dated.
If you want to enjoy MP3 as well as GPS, the zumo 550 does both and the MP3 and GPS vioce prompt sounds over your Ultra Radiospeakers or headsetandhaslots more to offer if you ever want to add latter.

The 2610 doesn't come with any motorcycle mounting hareware just the set up for a car/truck
The zumzo 550 does come with the motoercycle mounting hareware as well as the hookup for your car/truck.

lots of knowledge on the HD forum, do a search on GPS, zumo 550 and Tom Tom Rider. Lots of reading there

chappy

Quick Reply: navigation and xm radio questions