Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

navigation and xm radio questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:47 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: navigation and xm radio questions

zumo 550 also comes with 1 free map update($100) but I will be the first to admit after using some of the hi-tech features,may havebeen fine with the zumo 450.

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:52 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

zumo 550 also comes with 1 free map update($100) but I will be the first to admit after using some of the hi-tech features,may havebeen fine with the zumo 450.
See that's a good point. I can get a 2610 on Ebay for $200.00 and it's way more than I need. I have A Toshiba Giga Beat 60 gig MP3 player so no worries there. Cell phones suk so don't need blue whatever. Just a basic YO! Dumb AZZ turn here. I'm a simple kind of guy. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:55 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

I just bought my 550, I didn't know about the map update at a $100.00 value.
I also thought about the 450 but in the end it was only $65.00 difference.
I don't think I'll use the bluetooth but I will have the ability if I choose.

chappy

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:58 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Bryan1724

See that's a good point. I can get a 2610 on Ebay for $200.00 and it's way more than I need. I have A Toshiba Giga Beat 60 gig MP3 player so no worries there. Cell phones suk so don't need blue whatever. Just a basic YO! Dumb AZZ turn here. I'm a simple kind of guy. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
I have been on aprox 18k of road trips all over the US an Canada with the lead rider using the 2610. It was great and that is why I even concidered getting a GPS to begain with. I think you will be happy. It can do a whole lot more than just tell you when to turn. Like I said earlier it's a great unit.

chappy

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:59 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

I would try to get water,gas,shock proof,,, really though any gps will get you there, amazingly

Old 07-06-2007 | 11:07 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

didnt know the price diff was that close. humm. The free map update is if you wait to register(which doesn't affect your warrenty). And can register unit anytime ,,,like when the maps are updated. read this on the zumo board? already updated out of the box. So they suggest to wait for newer map and save...

Old 07-06-2007 | 11:30 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

didnt know the price diff was that close. humm. The free map update is if you wait to register(which doesn't affect your warrenty). And can register unit anytime ,,,like when the maps are updated. read this on the zumo board? already updated out of the box. So they suggest to wait for newer map and save...
I missed out on that one then.
I already registered on line.

I have unlimited and free map updates for the US, Canada, Mexico and Porta Rico.
I have no desire to ride to Mexico, been there enough by car, ship and plane.
And I can't ride to Porta Rico until somebody builds a bridge (not in my lifetime)

I'm not sure I'll ever use the bluetooth for phone because I only check it from time to time when I'm on a road trip. If I get XM, or the Traffic linkI'll get that latter. I already have a weather channel. It's the MP3 that I look forward to mastering. That's my next technical battle. I hope it is going to be as easy as using the 550 GPS.

The google trip veiw sounds like something I'm going to look into, sounds pretty cool, but I think the 450 can do that same google stuff.

chappy

Old 07-06-2007 | 11:44 PM
dircha
Cruiser

I can personally recommend a Zumo 550. I don't use the mp3 audio component of it, however. It (at least now) has in the box bike mount, car suction mount, car gravity mount, bike power wire, car cig power adapter, and ac adapter. It meets the standard Garmin water "proof" designation. Unless you're fording streams up to your handlebars, you don't have to worry about it.

I've never used a TomTom Rider, but from everything I've read it is a very comparable unit to the Zumo.

Old 07-06-2007 | 11:45 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

chappy, gman, and voodoo, thanks for your input. It's off to Ebay for a 2610. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-06-2007 | 11:56 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Bryan1724

chappy, gman, and voodoo, thanks for your input. It's off to Ebay for a 2610. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
I don't think you will be disappointed with the 2610.
Here' a linkfor the best mount sytems made for mounting gps to your bike.
http://www.ram-mount.com/

see you on the road
chappy

Quick Reply: navigation and xm radio questions